1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paging All Cyclists and Bike Experts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by clutch citizen, May 26, 2019.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I live in The Woodlands and see this damn sticker on what seems like 50% of the cars. I don't know who the f*** Ken is...but he's a genius marketer.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/...behind-the-bumper-sticker-Go-See-13442273.php

It doesn’t take long for those driving around The Woodlands and other areas of the Houston region to see cars with the “Go See Ken” bumper sticker adorning vehicles.

After almost 24 years of serving the greater Houston cycling community, Ken Thurlow — the manager of Shenandoah-based Bike Lane — has become a key figure in the cycling culture of both The Woodlands and Houston.

“Everyone that asked where they should get a bike or where they should go to get it fixed — just go see Ken at Bike Lane,” Thurlow said.

Thurlow opened Bike Lane in 1995 with owners Jane and Herb Beimgraben in a little shop off FM 1960. More than two decades later, the phrase “Go See Ken” has become a running mantra for those looking to get work done on their bikes or more professional cyclists looking for specialty products.

As manager, Thurlow works closely with the owners to reflect the cycling world’s trends in their stock of more than 400 bicycles kept on the showroom floor, ranging from a $200 entry-level bike to a $16,000 Cervélo carbon-framed racing bicycle.

“I do everything,” Thurlow said. “I do it all.”

At some point, Thurlow said, a gag gift sticker that was emblazoned with the motto in the ‘Comic Sans’ font became a way for customers to show their devotion to the store. To date, the store has distributed around 11,000 of the popular green bumper stickers.

The stickers haven’t just become ubiquitous in greater Houston — Bike Lane’s website features a page boasting photographs of the sticker on cars and signs in places as far away as Kazakhstan, China, Nepal and Australia — all sent to the shop from loyal customers who were travelling or moving abroad.

“We’ve built a good clientele,” Thurlow said. “Our customers advertise for us.”

Maurizio Topini, a member of The Woodlands’ Cycling Club who frequents the shop, said cycling is a long-standing tradition for the active community in The Woodlands,

Topini explained that three bike shops in the area — Sun and Ski Sports, Bike Land and Bicycle World — host shop rides in the area. Several Facebook groups centered on cyclists in The Woodlands organize groups to explore the more than 200 miles of concrete pathways and nature trails in the township, as well as training rides further out into the Montgomery County.

“There’s a lot of camaraderie,” Topini said. “Everyone knows each other.”

Randall Cade, who is heavily involved with the Bike The Woodlands Coalition, said the mater planned community is a good place to ride, but the past few years have brought an uptick in the population — and automotive traffic — of the township, not to mention the dangers that come when cyclists are forced to share the road with cars, as athletes often do when training for events.

Torn n Frayed and leroy like this.
  3. leroy

Interesting.

I just disagree with the last paragraph. Bikers are not forced to share the road with cars. Cars are forced to share the road with bikers. If you ride in the lane of a major thoroughfare and people are getting pissed off and honking at you, maybe you made the wrong choice. If you cruise through a stop sign on Lake Woodlands Pkwy and I almost hit you...it's your fault, jackass. There's a reason why the pathways in The Woodlands are and have always been called "Bike Paths". Use them.

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree. I live in the Creekside area, I’m in the Woodlands all the time. I see what you’re saying almost everyday.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Please show me a bike I can get for under 2K that weighs less than 15 pounds because 15 pounds is the minimum bike weight limit of pro road bikes that cost about 10-15K. I would love to buy one.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

If a cyclist's justification is that they cant afford a car or they are trying to reduce pollution, then i'll tolerate them. If they are cycling on a highway (or any major road) for exercise then they are assholes.

When I lived in Austin, I remember these jackasses cycling in massive packs on the shoulder of Capital of Texas Highway. We are talking cyclists going across entrance and exit ramps at 20-30 mph like its no big deal. Its where my burning hatred for cyclists was born.

By far the worst scenario is driving on mountain roads where passing is impossible and seeing these ****ing cyclists. You are stuck behind them and must risk your life by going in the other lane to get around them as they get their morning exercise.

7. leroy

There was no worse time to live in Austin than the month after a Tour De France in the Lance Armstrong era. I live off East Parmer back then and there would be jackasses in (greatly expanded) yellow jerseys riding in the lanes of a road with no shoulder and a 65 MPH limit. Luckily, they'd all give up after a few weeks and the roads would go back to normal. I've seen what you're talking about on 360, too. I remember someone getting killed while crossing an exit lane and everyone was up in arms about the driver.

Then there's those Critical Mass-holes. Those people can seriously go f*** themselves.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bikes are vehicles so respect them as suck. You can legally carry on a bike too. After my run ins with impatient idiot I carry at all times. I know there are shitty bikers just like there are shitty drivers but either way both have a right to be on the road.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

1-Google Amazon, Beiou or Phantom 5 or something in a 1000$ range ,16+18 pounds are plenty there .
    2-purchase a set of high end carbon fiber wheel that will get you near 15 pound, if it's not enough , proceed to step 3
    3- with an angle grinder, get rid of light reflector,end of the seat,clips for water holder, and a few inches of drop bar.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. this one made me smile I have to admit

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

bikes are vehicles that go half the speed of normal traffic, don't operate in driving lanes, and whose drivers have little to no protection. Like I said, i understand it if you cant afford a car and need to get by, but if you are biking on a road with heavy traffic for exercise then you are an ******* and a moron. Its the equivalent of me playing tennis on the shoulder of a highway and yelling 'share the road!'. pay extra to cycle in an environment built just for you like most other sports do.

12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

High end carbon fiber wheels will easily cost more than the bike.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

issa joke. At least i hope it is.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  14. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Lol....i was like..."wtf... point me in that direction!!!"

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

I was in Whistler BC past week for work , my colleagues suggested we go on a trail biking, offered to lend me a bike ,some of them are officially senior citizen but super fit ,I had escaped near death with some severe bruises,but it was really fun..I'm affraid I may give it a try again.

clutch citizen and peleincubus like this.