1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LA for 2 Months, Hotel Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, May 29, 2019.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'll be working at a client's office for 2 months in LA. Their office, which I believe is where I'll be located, is around the intersection of Highway 405 and 710 - kinda halfway between Long Beach and Compton. I haven't been to LA since I was a kid, so no clue where to stay.

I'll probably be working long days, so no need for attractions or anything. Only priorities are first safety and second food. Is there anywhere around there that will work? Doesn't have to be in walking distance, but maybe a max 30 minute Uber ride, if possible.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I know of a lovely place - mirrors on the ceiling, pink champagne on ice. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

CheezeyBoy22 and donkeypunch like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

AirBnB?

Lurch and Sooty like this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Compton is a very nice area.

RKREBORN likes this.
  5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Go stay by the Long Beach Convention Center.
    Lot's of food options there ... real nice area.

Big MAK likes this.
  6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Try VRBO, people are always looking for a short term tenant. Its been about 10 years since I was in LB, it was pretty rough back then

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

That area is really nice along with the Pike's Pier area but its also going to be pretty pricey as well.

Not knowing what your budget is there are a few extended stays around in that area. a "30 minute" Uber ride isn't too helpful since that could mean 2-3 miles or 10 miles with the traffic around there. The 405 is one of the worst traffic freeways in southern california.

I lived over 10 years ago in Carson not too far from that area. I rented a room in a guys house across from the Cal State Dominguez Hills. That part of Carson wasn't too bad and wasn't far from Long Beach either. But if you're looking at not having a rental (which is what I am assuming based on the walking/uber part) getting around maybe a bit difficult or pricey.

That area isn't the best but I do think its a bit exaggerated when people say its horrible. Compton isnt the best of course. I would def ask to see if your company would spring for a rental it would definitely help with finding a better place to stay not having to get in cars with strangers if you are working late. Not to mention the weekends.

I moved away from So Cal a few years ago but lived there for 30 years and I can help with more info but would need a bit more info to help out.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I confirmed that I'll be getting a rental.

Still, I'd prefer somewhere that's not too far (~30 min drive). But, without having been in LA since the 90's, I have no idea which areas are bad with traffic, so it's hard to say how long it will take to drive anywhere.

I'm there just during the week, then back on home on weekends. So, not interested in an AirBnB (plus, want the hotel points!).

9. Buck Turgidson

The concierge can get you all the drugs and whores you need.

Big MAK likes this.
  10. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Thanks... Clean Craig's List doesn't help much anymore.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. The_Yoyo

If that is the case Lakewood may not be a bad option its a pretty nice suburb, the availability of hotels though I am not sure and its not that far from the 405/710

Big MAK likes this.
  12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

If you stay near LAX or around Culver City, your ride down the 405 in the morning would be against traffic and would easily get you to work in 30 minutes. My advice is easily the best.

Big MAK likes this.
  13. The_Yoyo

Has traffic gotten better on that route? I used to live by downtown culver city and the traffic heading south was bad to LAX and then it cleared up after LAX.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't know why, but it has always bothered me that they call freeways "the xx". I have no explanation for this. It's just always bugged the crap out of me.

15. The_Yoyo

lol I have an explanation for that. The traffic in LA happens on so many different parts of a freeway and not just the area that may cross downtown or a big city area. Radio stations in LA when they did traffic would start referring to the sections of the freeway by their different sectional names. So for example the 10 is known as the San Bernadino Freeway in the San Gabriel Valley but the Santa Monica Freeway past downtown LA.

So it doesnt make sense to say "there is an accident eastbound around the Grand Avenue exit on San Bernandino Freeway" so they would say "there is an accident eastbound around the Grand Avenue exit on the San Bernandino Freeway"

Over time us So Cal folks started to drop the location moniker and just say 'the 10, the 405, the 110, the 91, the 5, the 101' etc

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Maybe it's the inconsistency that bothers me. They don't say "the Rodeo Dr." or "the Hollywood Blvd". It's a totally irrational thing on my part and there is no logical reason for it to bother me...it just does. And I really liked the time I've spent on SoCal.

17. The_Yoyo

again the were from radio traffic reports. the Radio doesnt do traffic on Rodeo or Highland etc. Just mainly the freeway.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Nothing’s perfect but it’s going against the general flow of traffic coming into town and as you mentioned it clears up after that.

I would put this route at 10 minutes of actual traffic and 15-20 minutes of easy commuting. Overall that’s not so bad and it allows for some better and convenient access to other locations during the night and weekends.

19. The_Yoyo

that seems about right from what I remember, but the problem is coming back home the part of the 405 N after LAX can be terrible. The other part would be the costs of a hotel would be most likely be more expensive in that area versus something on the other side. OP said he wouldn't be around on the weekends and doesn't seem much to care to indulge too much in any night life things.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you're young, there's cheaper bars near long Beach and the people are friendlier. No a bad location to drive back and Uber/walk around after work. Plus you go against lax/commute traffic

Culver City is also decent compared to the test of la.

Foodwise, Asian is definitely something you can not find in Houston for variety and depth. So many different kinds of ramen ships on Sawtelle. Din Tai Fong is a Taiwanese chain to try out.

Hollywood is a traffic nightmare