1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer] Is Daryl Morey About to Break Up the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, May 29, 2019.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Trading Harden is a legitimate option. But you have to be realistic. If you do that, you're in full rebuild mode and irrelevant for the forseeable future. But you can trade Capela, Tucker, Gordon and etc....stockpiling young players & draft choices while building for the future. Contending would be for other teams/ and we'd have to trust "the process"!!!!!!

snowconeman22 and BallSoHarden like this.
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

In any other type of work environment if an employee was showing up with the beard Morey is you would think this employee doesn’t care and is trying to get fired haha

3. tc0330

tc0330 Member

na im with you 100%... just thinking crazy... we are tapped out on cap space, harden is 30, cp is 34, ego is 31, pj tucker is 34... lol thats our starting lineup...

when do you bite the bullet and savor as much value as you can before theres barely any value left?

lw17 likes this.
  4. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

Trading Harden and Copella will be the best for Houston
    Need some inside players, tall and strong
    Flash needs to stay, he’s our best outside shooter

5. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

It cracks me up when people throw out names like Ariza. This guy will be 34 and shot only 32% on 3-pt shots this year. He has poor handles and his defense isn’t what it used to be. This is also the same guy that scored 0 points in critical game 7 matchup, ZERO, in the western conference finals against the Warriors, going 0-12 from the field and 0-9 from beyond the arc.

We need young up-in-coming players. If somehow we have chance to snag Kuzma from the Lakers for Paul, we need to do it. If not we should be looking at trading Capela for s guy like Randle and offering the MLE to a guy like Darrius Miller who can shoot the 3 and play defense.

rockets1995 and Denovo like this.
  6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I regret starting this thread because of the asinine nature of the comments.

payaso, D-rock and thedreamsteam like this.
  7. tc0330

tc0330 Member

theres nothing asinine about thinking outside the box when your best players are getting old af and you have no cap space

8. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

FIFY :)

9. lnchan

Not getting past Seattle led us once to impulsively deal four key pieces including Horry and Cassell for Barkley despite winning with them twice before.

payaso likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The question is of you can get equal or greater production from who you trade him for because on the issue of talent , you wont get equal value.

The deals don't have to be shorter necessarily …. just multiple smaller contracts of the same length would be an improvement being that those are easier to move than one that takes up 30% of your total cap..

11. SemisolidSnake

I really don't see how Morey even could break up the Rockets. It's not like these guys are employees you can just let go and stop paying. Maybe somebody can come up with a scenario. I freely admit that I don't know all the ins and outs of player acquisition and divestment options.

Harden's worth a lot, but you know he's not going anywhere, because the team would cease to exist as a force and as an icon without him. I don't see how you'd get rid of Paul's contract. You're going to take a loss on Capela if you move him, I think. Those are the big three taking up the vast majority of your team salary. I dunno. My gut feel would be to hire a coaching staff that works to improve (and add value to) the players you already have, because I don't see how you can just break up the team.

12. tc0330

tc0330 Member

thats not true... could trade harden and picks for anthony davis and zion. with that you stay a contender

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

All the crying about losing Ariza or not drafting Kawhi would be moot if Morey did not cut undrafted Robert Covington.

14. lnchan

I remember when we re-signed a player that we once cut... it was not pretty. For Clutchfans, especially. LOFers everywhere.

Yes, I am trying to lighten the mood.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Raven

Raven Member

No way we get that for Harden.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't know how many of you were around the last time the Rockets traded away a League MVP …. but it wasn't pretty. They were so bad those next two seasons that the league put the lottery in place. (43 wins over two seasons 14 and 29)

Harden aint goin no where ….

CP3 on the other hand …. I don't think he makes it to opening day as a Rocket.

#56 Corrosion, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It probably shouldn't be ... yet

Harden is only 30. With his history of improvement , history of health , and style of play . He's about as sure of a bet as you can get to perform at a high level for many years in the future .

Trading a superstar never gives you back equal value . We could turn over every other piece and James should still be great .

I don't doubt that the potential of rough years ahead is real . But , I think that we can learn from what the Mavs did and how dirk was able to win later in his career .

I'm all for tanking when necessary . If we do end up moving to a phase where we are "retooling" or something like that , we can have Harden sit out more games and have a better draft pick (like with San Antonio and David Robinson)

I don't think we are at the point of considering a harden trade yet . I think that's maybe considerable after the next season at the all-star break if things are still going incredibly bad and there is no other way .

But obviously , you move other pieces before you move James .

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I dunno about CP3

I think we want to move him , but I don't think anyone else wants him . We are gonna have to rely on some front office to be a bit incompetent . Either that or we are gonna pay a high price in other assets or take back a lot of useless $ ... maybe both

He might be a good piece for a developing team to help their players and then move him before the last year of his contract when the price is lower . ( I don't know if 40 mil is too large of a contract to be valuable when expiring lol )

He could surprise with a rebound year , but I'm not hopeful . I think the athletic decline is now obvious to the naked eye . He made decision making errors too and his skills weren't quite as sharp . You can hope for to regress to the mean , but it may be the beginning of a new trend .

Maybe the rumors would have come anyways . But , Woj is like a mouthpiece no ? By saying we want to move him so openly , we are saying we are spooked the decline was real . Maybe it doesn't matter what we say in terms of negotiations because after that playoff performance and overall down year ... we weren't gonna get the optimistic price anyways .

Idk what Moreys plan is . But he probably has 20 .

The wildcard is Tilman .

I can't put my finger on him .

I thought he was a cheapass at the deadline. And though I'm no MDA fan , tilman is definitely lowballing him . Maybe that's because he wants him to quit ? Lol

Like I said , tilman is the wildcard . I dunno if he's good news or bad news yet . I think he is super aggressive and he definitely talks the talk .

If they move CP3 it's probably a good decision . If they don't move him , it's probably a good decision .

I think tilman is smarter than we give him credit . Right now it looks like he just talks out of his ass , but that might be by design lol. He cpuld be a cheapass who only cares about the bottom line , But he could really care about winning. And then I think he will help maneuver us to the top .

20. Know Your Role

[​IMG]