1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Morey aggressive in all deals improving team even possibly Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, May 29, 2019.

1. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

That would have leaked for sure.

Rocket Guy and Stormy1234 like this.
  2. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Honest Question,

How big is the gap between Lowry and CP3?

3. amaru

amaru Member

A declining CP3 is still better than Lowry. Lowry has issues showing up in big games and with his weight.

D-rock likes this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Honest Question:
    Which one of them do you think is currently better?

If you're suggesting a trade, then think about Lowry being 33 (to Paul's 34) - ie, there's no significant gain happening there....

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Not looking for a trade, just comparing the 2 as players. CP3 was so dominant a year ago, his drop has been massive. Lowry being closer or even to CP3 is a wild revelation

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

2 years ago I would have said Lowry is clearly better (and probably was the season before as well?)
    Last year Lowry declined to be probably worse
    This year both guys declined, but Lowry even further, so clearly worse (this year)

Both are aging and will probably decline again next year....

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think that's the case .. (Lux Tax avoidance).

There is reason to change course , two shots at GSW and both yielded the same results - go home. Unless something changes , that same result is likely next year. May as well shake it up.

As for what happened to "Just adding Butler" I don't think that was ever in the cards. We'll find out on declaration day - June 29th?

They could be a significantly better team next season if they can get off of that $39m owed CP3.

No , they wont have two stars but at this point do they really have two stars or Just one at a time.

While Harden is on the court with CP3 , that's 20 MPG - Paul is Just a guy. He's not doing anything at an elite level. He's not doing what you brought him here to do.

subtomic likes this.
  8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I wonder why Morey has been this aggressive this early in the offseason? It seems to me he would have more leverage after the draft and during the FA signing period to maneuver.

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Lol you can choose to believe or not. That’s what woj reported. Lol your opinion dude

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And what did PHX turn that one year contract into ?

Oubre. A quality young wing that they maintain RFA rights to - A guy many here wanted to trade for the past two seasons and a solid replacement for Ariza.

11. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

This is the same guy that scored 0 points in a game 7 against GS, right?

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

People wonder why stars don't just sign in Houston? Good Luck Morey and Tillman. For the sakes of all Houston Rockets Fans.
    Because James Harden through a hissy fit. Someone needs to smack Harden with a slice of Humble pie. Raptors getting it done. The culture needs to change in the organization. Harden does need to be made accountable.

Little Bit likes this.
  13. basketballholic

Because he wants to be in this draft.

Cam Johnson
    Matisse Thybulle

He's trying to get a player out of this draft..... to sign and play.... not to trade elsewhere.

14. Sanity2disChaos

They didn’t win a ship. Periodt. And did you watch golden state smash us this year( did Paul play). You talking about last year dude!!2nd place (in the WEST) don’t get no trophies. Morey F That trade up. Personnel and contract wise.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

loser mentality, you can have all of that

as if the alternative wasn't some early round exit as usual. people like to play both sides of the fence. stop it. its pathetic. really have some of the dumbest "rockets fans" on this board honestly

pr0wler likes this.
  16. Sanity2disChaos

Silly rabbit! That’s reality!! What are you delusional to the fact?

Wouldn’t care if you thought I was a fan or not. ...

I’m here.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah you're here for what. to b**** and cry. i guess that's what life has forced you to do. cool

like i said you can have all of that

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

LOL which wouldn't have happened if we signed him. He would have been a $15M contract that hopefully wouldn't shoot sub-30% in the playoffs again. Point is, good GM's don't sign Ariza type players for $15M contracts unless you feel Morey understands how the cap less than you do. In fact, Morey told him as much.

HP3 likes this.
  19. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I’m hearing that Dallas would be very interested in Clint Capela.
    I hate how people are trying to make it seem bad that Houston is already giving up on Clint. The guy played like garbage against the team we needed him the most in. It’s also very annoying how he can’t do **** else but catch lobs. Don’t talk to me about his defense because he doesn’t have that either. The man doesn’t jump, doesn’t dunk anymore, misses a lot of layups, and can’t play more than 30 min.
    I promise there are at least 2-3 guys in the league that can do exactly what Clint does at a much cheaper price.
    The few that come to mind are DJ, McGee, Chandler, and even Kostas Antetokounmpo. You definitely don’t need to be paying a guy that catches lobs $17+ mill a year, this isn’t the Amare Stoudamire era anymore.
    With that said I wonder what Dallas is willing to give up. I like Brunson and Porzingis but I doubt the latter is involved. Maybe it’s just a move to open up cap space for an incoming player which I would also like.
    Whatever it is, DM needs to get it right from day 1. None of this “can’t build your team in June” BS because the #1 seed if possible matters.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Morey telling Ariza he wasn't coming back was a window into the future.

You had his bird rights. I doubt he would have cost the Rockets as much as he did the Wizards - He wanted to come back , probably could have got him to sign for $12m.

The real problem is that they had no financial ability to replace him other than minimum contracts.

Morey telling him he wouldn't be back told me early on that Morey was limited financially - IE the Luxury Tax.
    Everything he did beyond that just cemented the luxury tax being a barrier he could not cross - Anderson for junk , Knight and a first for nothing …. other than ducking the tax.

You cant tell me (Or Morey) that they aren't a better team with Ariza or infinitely more financially flexible with his expiring contract as a trade asset , especially being up against or over the tax line.

#640 Corrosion, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019