1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Akira

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 28, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Taika Waititi’s ‘Akira’ Will Take Off In Summer 2021

May 24, 2019 9:46am
    [​IMG]
    Toro
    Warner Bros has unveiled that the WB event film that was hanging around May 14, 2021 is now moving to May 21, 2021 and will be Taika Waititi’s feature take on famed cult manga Akira.

The Thor: Ragnarok helmer is officially directing, as Deadline first broke back in 2017, and the pic produced by Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way shingle recently received a $18.5 million tax credit from California. On its new date, Akira will smack up against Lionsgate’s John Wick: Chapter 4.

Today’s release date news arrives after Thursday’s headlines that Waititi is stepping away from directing the Michael Jackson pet chimpanzee pic Bubbles.

The live-action Akira has been gestating for a number of years as an adaptation of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s classic six-volume graphic novel; it was made into a famed 1988 anime film directed by Otomo. Pic’s logline: A secret military project endangers Neo-Tokyo when it turns a biker gang member into a rampaging psychic psychopath that only two teenagers and a group of psychics can stop.

Producers on Akira are Andrew Lazar, Jennifer Davisson and DiCaprio. Waititi and Michael Golamco are writing.

2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is the SOL in position?

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Of all the potential anime adaptations, none seem like they would be harder to translate to live action than Akira. It feels like the ultimate "anime" movie.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Never really got into Akira, but after reading the synopsis on wikipedia, I'd have to agree. It also seems like an awful lot to pack into a 2-2.5 hour movie.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

how do they simplify this for the general audience..?

7. GIGO

GIGO Member

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is live-action ever good? I expect them to butcher this.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  9. biff17

biff17 Member

While I'm very against white washing movies, ghost in the shell was especially egregious.

How was Speed Racer white washed?

Speed and his family always read white to me and come on Trixie was definitely white.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think there are many films from the 60s and 70s with a similiar feel to the story. the problem is it's getting the Hollywood treatment and its contracted x amount of shitty cgi screen time.

either give the directing job to otomo or the guy who did the blade runner sequel.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

at least it won't be a japanese live action adaption. those are typically awful.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

if this is even half as good as dragon ball evolution, i would consider this a great success.

13. Xerobull

Disagree completely. First, it's an anime Movie, so you can go frame to frame. Second, CGI is at a point where they can make the fantastical real. Third, audiences are primed for hardcore Sci-Fi action, which this movie is, by decades of great Sci-Fi action.

Waititi is about as close a match as you're going to get for a good director for this project. Thor: Ragnarok was the most surprisingly good Marvel movie out there, with a great blend of action, storytelling and humor.

As for whitewashing: This is super future Tokyo, I can see a smattering of non-Asians walking around in this city and making the cast. And people are just fine with a non-white lead. I am, anyway.

I have high hopes for this.

marky :) likes this.
  14. marky :)

marky :) Member

Princess Mononoke should be the next live action adaption and cast Brie Larson. That should explode the internet.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. Xerobull

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Like the Robotech movie I've been hearing about for 20 years, I'll believe it when they actually start shooting.....