1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(ESPN 710) John Ireland reporting CP3 to Lakers rumor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 28, 2019.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I'll be right if he gets traded, and you know it.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Would he be worth a 4th overall pick?.... Rather than Eric Gordon?

I don't think so but perhaps for the right package and with perfect timing on our end.

3. riko

riko Member

I’m ok if we get Kuzma, pick 4 and Josh heart but I’m not ok just dumping for nothing. Cap space is good and dandy but unless you get another good player then it’s useless.If the Rockets are looking to unload him then they probaly feel confident they can get another star.

Can Harden work his magic and convince KD to come here?

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think the Lakers will give Kuzma, Ball or Ingram for him. Maybe Hart at best. I think they will offer a couple of future second rounders and a player who is wasting on the bench.

That's just not worth the risk, for cap space. Potential replacements like Kemba will demand too much and are likely to be gone quite quickly in free agency. He might re-sign with the Hornets too.

Try to sign a reliable back up point guard to help Chris out. This will keep him fresh and effective. Even Lowry needs VanVleet.

darksoul35 likes this.
  5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Sounds like typical "Well, the Lakers want it so everyone should bow down and give it to them" chatter.

6. basketballholic

Oh please.

Understand this.

We're not trading Cp3 unless Cp3 requests a trade.

K?

How do I know? Because it would send the wrong message. If you sign here as a max FA and we decide we don't want you then we'll trade you.

That's not what other max guys that want to win are interested in. K? The true max guys want their money and they want control of their situation. They want to know they won't be booted against their will.

The only guys that will sign here if we boot Cp3 after the first season of his deal are guys that want the bag but don't care about performing up to it and don't care about their team.

We don't want none of that rap. So Cp3 ain't being moved unless he wants out.

And Cp3 knows this too. So if he really wants out he's basically going to have to orchestrate the trade to the Lakers. Because he can't just demand a trade without running the risk that we ship him to Charlotte or Phoenix or Minnesota, some place that he don't want to be. So he's got to orchestrate the deal and it's gotta be a deal we'd be willing to do.

And all that will have to be agreed upon before July 1 so that we could be assured of getting the assets back we wanted and we know our cap situation. Deal won't have to be executed before July 1. But it will have to be agreed upon going into free agency.

K?

So basically both sides are stuck here unless Paul wants out And if Paul wants out he already knows he's got to make that happen before July 1, so both teams know their salary cap situation and what assets they have to work other deals with.

We are fine either way. If Cp3 wants out we're going to able to reload on the fly. And if he doesn't want out then we're still reloading with him fully committed to winning here.

Everybody relax and get a good night's rest. We're going to be fine. These Cp3 rumors are bs. We're fine either way.

Invisible Fan and ksny15 like this.
  7. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Use that 40 million to sign some 3 point shooters and we are good

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

CP3 is overpaid, but to do a trade just for a salary dump is silly.

CP3 is still the 2nd best player for the rockets.

xaos and saleem like this.
  9. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Fake as balls. When was the last time a superstar trade went exactly how the rumors reported? PG? Nope. Kawhi? Flat out wrong. Jimmy Butler? Nah. In all those cases reports were swirling for months and the final trade was never rumored at all. I'm done with these stupid early trade rumors. They miss more than Kobe.

saleem likes this.
  10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We got the CP3 contract knowing he'd only be useful the first two seasons. If we get out of it afterwards without losing much then we might have a chance to retool and try again.

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I think it would be a really bad look if Morey turned around and traded Cp3 so soon after signing him to that contract. Unless the package in return was significant enough to benefit the Rockets immediate title chances. IMO, anything less would constitute an embarrassment on Morey's part, and good luck explaining it to Harden.

saleem likes this.
  12. HROZ

HROZ Member

I'd do it as a Rocket.

I just don't see our team getting there atm. And cap space and new recruits gives us a better chance in the future.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

if I could turn CP3's 40M into Butler + Rivers - i'd do it...

...and I'm not a fan of Tomball Jimmy - but at this point may as well take the high risk option...

I like CP3... but at this point he's just a case of a diminishing return...

14. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

If I'm trading CP3 to LA, he is going to the Clippers for Bev, Montrez, and Sweet Lou. Lol

BamBam likes this.
  15. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Why is everyone so anti-CP3? He definitely did not cost the Rockets the loss. I still think D'Antoni is the issue of not being able to adjust, a weak strategy of outscoring opponents by a barrage of 3's, iso-ball and his lack of trust in players like Faried, House, Nene etc, especially in playoffs. CP3+Harden+Capella+Faried+Rivers are keepers in my opinion. Rockets need a 2nd scorer after Harden and I think they should be able to land someone like Butler. Lack of rebounding killed the Rockets so I feel, if D'Antoni continues, should work with Capella & Faried to work on their defensive game. Rockets are just a couple pieces away from being a winning team which is 1-2 additions and change of strategy/mindset.

smp, LorneMalvo and varughese.arun like this.
  16. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

um quite the opposite actually. Harden doesnt need a distributor in the game with him unless he learns to play offball which lets face it, he isnt going to. A perfect fit to harden is a player like bradley beal or Eric Gordon. Knock down 3 point shooters who can handle the ball.

17. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

Bucher and Broussard aren’t reliable, but as always on this forum, I’m anxious for any rumors lol

RocketsMAN! likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey is known to attempt to fix his 'mistakes'.

We'll see what happens, I think EGo and Capela could be easier to move but who knows with the Dork Elvis.

Lakers were sort of a dysfunctional team, they would definitely give it a thought.

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

JH: 'How dare you give lectures on me moving off the ball. You are moving slow yourself and you are injured all the time.'

Main gripe is he is so injury prone, wouldn't surprise me if he injures himself in LA.

20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Bad message or not for other Free Agents CP needs to be moved.

There can be literally be 4 playoff Rotation players with his salary. $44 million is overpaid

If Daryl ever learns how target those Free Agents. They better be hits, not misses.