1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ScoutwithBryan breaks down how Draymond/Steph pick-and-rolled the Rockets to death

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, May 27, 2019.

1. smp

smp Member

Hopefully one day we will see him on another team as the primary player. Then we can evaluate him.

Everyone looks great out there with Curry, Klay, KD, and Iggy. Even Looney looks like a star in the making.

Ramo$e likes this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This goes back to what i have thought about MDA and his staff ever since his Phoenix days. He's incredibly arrogant when it comes to his system (the "system" has changed over the years, but the arrogance has remained), and he's never felt the need for adjustments or tweaks. He's a great coach when it comes to instilling a philosophy and getting players to buy in, but he's atrocious at details. His Phoenix teams were notorious for missed defensive assignments, and lack of adjustments in game. The system can work against the Utahs and Minnesotas of the world, but Golden State and San Antonio are two of the smartest, best coached teams in basketball history. The amount of attention to detail those two teams give is unprecedented, and it's why something like a simple slip PnR can destroy us.

Invisible Fan and Ramo$e like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

Hes not a primary player imo. He's a great secondary/tertiary player. He impacts defense so well. And hes a great passer. Im absolutely sure that would carry over on another team. This is really craziness that this is even a discussion.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep, this. Draymond is great but it's a different ballgame when teams aren't trapping Curry so that Dray can go 4 on 3.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with the general sentiment, but remember that those Suns and Rockets teams were running into dynasties. The Suns likely beat the Spurs without the suspensions and the Rockets likely beat the Warriors last year without the Paul injury. Still, the lack of detail is his biggest flaw. He has toned down the arrogance a lot in Houston, but the lack of detail is still there. I remember a long time ago an executive of another team commenting on coaching and said that the way the Suns responded and the Spurs responded to the scuffle was the difference between Popovich and D'Antoni. The Spurs players knew exactly where they could go without suspensions,and what the league rules were. The Suns players on the other hand did not. The executive said that was the difference between Popovich and other coaches..... So the detail concern is legitimate criticism.

I will say this about the Warriors. I don't think that Steve Kerr is an especially great coach. He does however have some very good assistants and the group of Curry, Thompson and Green have been together forever. Most of their success is that they just have the most talent. MDA would have titles with that team as well.

6. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

You guys have been hitting it on the head. The Warriors are beating the Rockets at their own game. So we need to do something. Pay attention to detail, get more physical, slow it down, through different schemes at them. Play with a little more passion.

Why wait until the off season to figure it out. When can change it right then and there, and not be gone fishing for the finals.

7. smp

smp Member

I agree. He’s definitely not a primary player. He’s not even a secondary player. He’s a perfect tertiary player. A modern day Dennis Rodman who can shoot better but not rebound as well. He could help any team, for the right price.

HP3 likes this.
  8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As usual, Harden and his lack of defensive awareness didn't help at all. Why in the world are you guarding a guy at the 3pt line who hasn't taken a 3pt er all season. He should've tilted towards the pnr or just stand in the middle of the lane for 2.5 secs

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Blurr#7 likes this.
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

To be a primary player you need to run the offense. Draymond in not that guy.

But that also does not take away his importance to that Warriors team.

Warriors are great because of their offense and their defense, not just their offense.

Draymond anchors their defense.

He is their best defensive player that covers their weaknesses and let them play small ball with a high success rate.

Without him, they would be a lot more vulnerable with their small ball lineup.

He is an incredibly high IQ player and also adds toughness to that team.

I would give up anyone on this Rockets team (I would even think about giving up CP because I am concerned about his decline) for him to play next to Harden. Warriors would never let Green leave though. They arent stupid.

#70 Zboy, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Remember how great Ben Wallace was with Detroit? Some guys are more important to 1 team than they are to another. Draymond on other teams would get exposed. He functions well in there system which is cool. Put him on Phoenix and he's overpaid big time.