1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Milwaukee Bucks Summer 2019

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, May 27, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Aside from tier 1 stars, I don't think there's a player on this planet more suited to play PG on a Harden led team than Malcolm Brogdon.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is about as astute a comment as you'll ever find on here.

Rockets have no chance to get him, but he'd be "perfect"... if you're not getting a star.

I don't know the S&T rules in their entirety. But I'd absolutely take Illyosava, Snell and a re-signed Brogdon for CP3

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

And he has some injury history too...also, not every team has Giannis at the 4, that matters defensively, without a Giannis you can't hide him as well as the Bucks did, especially against teams like us.

4. BullRider

BullRider Member

Lopez redefined his game. hope he doesn't give bucks a discount!!

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed on all the comments on Brogdon, and what kinda sucks (if i remember well) is that he was literally drafted ahead of Onuaku...

Yep, just checked and that's correct, i wonder if the Rockets would've drafted him if he was available.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Pipe dream. He's restricted which means not only they will keep him, but they will keep him for a discount.

Give Harden Brogdon and Klay and he would tear this league a new *******.

RichieBanks likes this.
  7. JayZ750

Not sure about the discount part. Maybe. But I could envision a team offering him a bigger than they'd otherwise want to contract in order to pry him away, thinking the Bucks having to reup Middleton and resign Lopez... might just have to let Brogdon walk.... after all the Bucks were 3-4 with Brogdon playing in the playoffs ;)

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No I think that's external stuff. Restricted means teams will be less willing to tie up their cap space. No one is going to offer him the max.

If they're going to let someone walk - and they don't have to let any of these 2 guys walk - it would be Middleton who has likely peaked as a player. Bucks will match anything for Brogdon, they know that a 3-4 late playoffs record coming back from a fascia injury is no way to judge a guy who puts up 50/40/90, plays good defense and can pass. He will play alongside Giannis for a long time.

9. JayZ750

Most likely true, but one can dream! [that he gets away from Bucks somehow]. Sued to be teams would give the "mega" offer to those RFA. Last year didn't see that as much... or haven't seen it as much lately. How long does the rights holding team have to match now?

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

2 weeks IIRC.

Brogdon would really be a dream. We're paying someone almost $40m and wishing we had Brogdon lol.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wasn't @malakas actually hoping that brogdon would get poached away by some other team? something about him looking for his own shot too much?

malakas likes this.
  12. JayZ750

2 weeks!! Is that true?? Seems too long...

13. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

No one's going to offer him the max, but his value isn't the max. I think he could easily draw offers above his ideal value, especially once the top-level free agents (Durant, Leonard, Irving, Butler, Walker) make their decisions. After that, why are teams going to worry about tying up their cap for a few days when Brogdon is arguably the best attainable free agent (I don't consider Klay Thompson or Khris Middleton attainable, as both will be re-signed quickly for the max IMO)? Brogdon is basically the perfect complimentary player--he's going to attract a lot of interest.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can't believe it was her that stated that. Brogdon was absent half of the season.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Well because Durant, Leonard, Butler, Irving, Walker, Klay, Middleton won't be resolved quickly. There will be options for a while like every summer.

More importantly, the Bucks will and should overpay if they have to. He is worth more to them than others, they are one of the least interesting cities to live in and they are 100% aware of the fact that they will not benefit from cap flexibility or have any draft picks of significance in the future.

Whatever he's worth to someone else, he's definitely worth more to the Bucks. He's not any contender's 2nd best player, and no one who needs a 3rd option can offer him his max. His cap hold is small too so doesn't affect the Bucks much, they can be patient too if need be.

50/40/90 with defense and passing is no joke. Believe me Bucks organization knows his value better than us. Yes Bucks fans will be down on him cause of this recent stretch, but his body of work speaks for itself. If I'm the Bucks I'm way more worried about overpaying Middleton. That could lock them into this ceiling for a long time.

16. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

Well, that's my point. They won't get him at a discount. They're going to have to pay and probably overpay. He doesn't have to decide to take a deal from Milwaukee or the qualifying offer til the end of the offseason--there's plenty of time for the top free agents to be resolved and for the teams with cap space who struck out to provide him offers. Besides, not every team with cap space is going to care about keeping their powder dry for someone like Durant--every team isn't going to consider themselves serious suitors for him. Some are going to focus on trying to get the next tier of free agents while teams like LAL, LAC, NY, Brooklyn, etc, are focused on the top tier.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah I just don't think so. This has stopped happening. Looking at Capela, Marcus Smart, guys in that range.

I think what happens is the Pacers offer him 80/4 and the Bucks match it. That's a good deal for what he brings. I wouldn't call that an overpay at all.

18. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

You're kind of all over the place here. ;) I was really just arguing your original claim that they'd get him for a discount. I don't see that happening.

19. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

re Brook Lopez:

not sure if true. imho, 10m won't seal the deal.

don grahamleone and mikol13 like this.
  20. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

They picked their players carefully. Garnett was one of the original big men who could defend on the perimeter, so wasn't a monster shot-blocker as he wasn't around the rim as much as traditional big men. And Kobe Bryant, while a great scorer, wasn't a particularly good or prolific three-point shooter and played his prime in an era that emphasized the three-point shot a lot less. So it sounds a lot more impressive than it actually is. Lopez is a solid shot-blocker and a solid three-point shooter, which is valuable--but it's hardly shocking that he accrued more blocks in a season than Garnett and more three-pointers in a season than Bryant.