1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz/Sonics

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dr of Dunk, May 3, 2000.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm watching this Jazz/Sonics game #4 and laughing how a group of referees can completely take over a game. Talk about a technical-fest. I've never seen so many technicals/flagrants called in one game in my life. I thought Malone was about to break Payton's neck. I'm hoping for a rumble in game #5. This is better than basketball. [​IMG]

------------------
    ?

2. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

quote:

"They [the Jazz, are the best floppers I've ever seen]... who is the theatre teacher that Sloan gets?"

"That's the first time I've seen Malone on the receiving end of an elbow... that's how he plays... with his elbows"

"Whoops, there goes another flop"
    ------
    Go Seattle!
    Go Rashard (he went to my high school--same year)!

------------------
    get some young blood into that heart of a champion!

3. Bobby

Bobby Member

An absolutely terrible call when Brent Barry blocked Malone from behind. And Fu-Manchu has the balls to complain to the refs! Tyoical Malone hypocrisy!

I'm not a Gary Payton fan by a long shot, but i loved seeing the Jazz lose.

------------------
    "Who Wants To Be A Rocket?" - and probably a millionaire as well. The off-season will be interesting!

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

jenna, are reading these?

------------------
    You can't have everything.Where would you put it?

5. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Oh man! I loved that game.

I loved how the commentators repeatedly refer to Utah's style of play (flopping and sneaky fouls). It was also very cool hearing Stackhouse dog the Jazz, along with Kenny Smith.

I really loved watching Payton. I've always been a Gary Payton fan. It was great watching him take on malone verbally. GP is the wrong person to get into a verbal battle with.

That last second back-stabbing 3-pointer by Payton was a thing of beauty. Having Kenny Smith and Stackhouse agree that they too would have taken that shot was cool.

Even Westphal was into it:
    "They know how to flop and make it look worse than it is," he said. "When I got old as a player, I played that way, too."

Classic.

I tell you, I'm enjoying this alot right now. Now if Seattle can just pull off the upset.........

------------------
    RocketFuel is taking the summer off!

6. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

insideout, just wondering, were those quotes of Payton's in the flow of play? Anybody have in inside information of what went on between Payton/Malone--I am thinking a couple of hard picks were involved. Was Malone trying to protect his little homeboy because Payton was tearing him a new you-know-what on the court? The people that say Stockton is the best PG ever obviously haven't watched his duels with Payton over the last 10 years or so (Barkley will tell you how much of a mismacth they have been). Or seen Magic Johnson who has far better than either.

It is real odd routing for Payton and the Sonics. Payton is a great and tenacious player, but has been a punk quite often himself. I really like Lewis though, and am routing for Baker to have some personal success, Go Sonics!! I guess.

------------------

7. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Was it just me, or was that a good block by Barry? It didn't even look like a foul - to say nothing of a flagrant foul. Maybe I just didn't see it too clearly but that call looked like complete bulls**t to me.

It was awfully fun to watch the Jazz come completely unraveled at the end of that game, though! woo hoo. Goin' down in flames...

------------------

8. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

sir-
    those were just quotes from the commentators. i think payton just ticked malone off, and malone was sayin' "we'll see how it is next time" or something like that. i think especially when malone was taking those last few foul shots that payton was really getting to him. in any case, go sonics at the delta center!

------------------
    he shakes.. spins baseline.. fades away.. oh.. he buries the dreamshake again! what a move!

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Clutch just reminded me today on the homepage how Karl talked this same crap before about taking it back to the Delta Center:

Malone's been here before and it didn't turn out too well. Maybe that's why he was getting so worked up about those comments this time. GP's getting into his head and he's worried that the Sonics might repeat what the Rocks did to him a few years ago. Sure hope so!

------------------
    work like you don't need the money
    dance like no one's watching
    love like you've never been hurt

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

ChrisP,

I thought the same thing at first. I didn't see the foul; all I saw was a great block. However, on the replay, you can see clearly that Barry's forearm/elbow clocks Malone AND cleanly blocks the ball. There definitely was a foul, but it wasn't flagrant. Malone's flopping down also helped. I think the referee's called it a flagrant so Malone and Barry wouldn't start a rumble after Malone's busting his lip in a previous game.

------------------
    ?