1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy Rogers is also gone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, May 24, 2019.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

To be honest, with regard to "option two?" I don't have that good a handle on our new owner, not yet. I've always felt that the desire to project an image of being a "good owner," an image tethered with rosy optimism and the public claim to be unconcerned with the bottom line, can conflict with the owner's private reality. All owners want to keep the seats filled, to sell those season tickets (which sold, don't always fill the seats - a real problem that needs addressing). That's true across the league. They want to win, which dovetails with their personal desire and the season ticket thing.

What is that "private reality" for Tilman Fertitta? Is he as wealthy as he says he is? That's putting aside both what I know, not as much as I would like, and what I think about his business practices outside of the Rockets (I freely admit to hating what he did to both "Old Galveston" and Kemah). He says he's happy with the job Morey has been doing and gave him an extension. Is he still happy? He says he's happy with MDA and they're working on an extension. Is he really, and is Morey? How do they feel about the players they have? Are they on the same page?

I hope that the pair aren't working at cross purposes in an effort to put together the best team they can under the constraints imposed by the NBA/Silver. I don't know just how much influence Fertitta has on Morey's decisions, whether Morey is walking a tightrope between what Tilman wants, who's still finding his way, and what Daryl would like to do. Heck, and what Harden wants, which should at least be taken into consideration. "Option one" doesn't sound like Morey. If that's what's happening, he's in trouble and so are we.

J Sizzle and Gray_Jay like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Might be trying to get him to quit vs firing him, would that benefit Tillman in terms of cost savings?

Amel likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

It was a three way deal though, if Pat Riley hadnt of backed out of his agreement we would have gotten it haha.

5. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I love you guys but our owner doesn’t own a few franchised Shoneys. He isn’t concerned about 5 Million dollars.

Patience likes this.
  7. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  8. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Jimmy butler for sure not coming to Houston then.

9. MystikArkitect

I’m probably more familiar with Tillman’s business dealings considering his presence in the industry I work in. He’s a notorious and habitual swindler.

Don’t overestimate his “billionaire” status.

Like Bill Gates famously said in the Simpson’s “I didn’t become a billionaire cutting a bunch of checks”.

BigShasta and charlieaustin like this.
  10. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Can't stand the guy. Really disappointed he bought the team. Check out this article..."When we buy somebody, we cut the head off," Here is the most concerning point..."Above all, Fertitta preaches cost control."
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/calebm...a-secret-its-not-about-the-food/#52683ddadf9c

11. MystikArkitect

Yeah, when I heard the news my heart sunk. He’s going to be a terrible owner. We’re lucky right now with him inheriting a 60 win team but dark ages loom after Hardens prime is done.

Tillman sees this as a money vehicle and a medium to promote his other businesses, championships are fine if they happen to come with doing his business as usual. Let me know when a Fertitta restaurant ends up with a Michelin Star or wins a James Beard award.

He won’t. It’s unnecessary for the bottom line, just like championships.

charlieaustin likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I’ve done business with TF.... Tilman isn’t doing this to force MDA to retire. He has paid coaches to not coach in the past. It isn’t worth the time or energy over 5 million dollars.

Deuce and treyk3 like this.
  13. MystikArkitect

If you got paid consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

14. Nook

Nook Member

He paid me very well without complaint. He knew exactly what he wanted, was demanding and expected easy access to me and my firm. He wrote me a letter afterwards and sent Christmas letters, etc for years.

Deuce, treyk3 and steddinotayto like this.
  15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

They were talking about the coaching situation on NBA radio and they said do you think the rockets don't really want to extent pringles and they are trying to urge him to quit. They also said the rockets might not want to fire him and pay him to not work, but if he quits things might be different. I guess we really need them to hire an asst coach capable of taking over in case he does jet.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What's your opinion on the future of this organization with Tilman being at the top, after watching the first two years? From a business perspective, I never freaked out or panicked about all of the cost cutting talk that occurred during the season because, well, the guy's a businessman and he has every right to LEAN up the operations as an owner. On the other hand, however, maybe Tilman is content with the team as-is, which is a perennial playoff team (with perennial playoff revenue) that has one of the biggest stars in the league on the squad (exposure and marketability pluses) and also the president of the NBA Players' Association on the roster....so what's the rush of trying to "win at all costs"? If the Rockets don't put him in the red from a net revenue perspective every year, he doesn't have to worry about the actual results and can say "Boy, we sure did try and it sucks falling short but we'll do whatever it takes next year to win it all" all day because he knows damn well "whatever it takes" is capped/controlled by the NBA salary cap.

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Butler wasn't coming here anyways

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He was on ESPN today. They talked about the best teams the Warriors have played. The 2018 Rockets were mentioned. Thibs immediately dismissed them. There’s no chance he’s coming.

19. MystikArkitect

Consider yourself lucky then.

Next time you’re in touch with him ask him when he’s going to pay the 45 million dollars in liens he has on his two properties here in the south. Also ask him when he’s going to cough up the money to finish putting up the sign on his Post Oak Hotel.

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

They won’t be hiring a defensive coach. They will be hiring an associate head coach to run the defense and be the likely coach in waiting.

They are likely just fine with that transition happening over the course of a season and could be coerced into two. However, the position gains more suitors if it’s for an immediate opening because D’Antoni didn’t want to be in a powerless role.