1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jamie Ritchie came in to pinch-hit for Garrett Stubbs in the 7th.

#1301 tellitlikeitis, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    No Worries and HTown2017Champs like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Well, there ya go.

3. Buck Turgidson

Also has a triple tonight, and just had an RBI single in the 9th to make it a 9-8 game. Leads the TX League in RBI with 41. Now hitting .339 with an OPS over 1.0

eta: Beer just muscled a 100mph fastball into short LF to score Toro and tie the game at 9 in the 9th. Beer went 4-5 with a 2B and 2RBI, now hitting .382. His power hasn't shown up yet, but I would wager it will.

eta: oh, and Bukauskas got bombed

#1303 Buck Turgidson, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  4. HTown2017Champs

He already has a homer in AA, from his first game. More will definitely come, just wait.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ramirez spent most of 2018 with the Astros' GCL team and finished off the season with two appearances for Tri-City. In 12 appearances (6 starts) overall, he went 1-1 with a 4.12 ERA. He pitched 39.1 innings and allowed 22 runs (18 earned) on 30 hits, walked 19, and struck out 55.

Ramirez throws 95-97 and has a curveball that shows promise but needs further refinement.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jonathan Arauz has an RBI double and a two-run home run for Fayetteville today. He now has 3 home runs this season and is now on a 10-game hitting streak.

Jacob Meyers has a two-run double.

Marteen and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With Diaz going on the IL I wonder if they’ll give Mayfield a shot for the handful of games until Altuve gets back. But if I had to guess I would think it’d be Straw since he’s already on the 40 man and can play SS.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Some major helium candidates who were promoted in the last few weeks: Beer, Santana, Nova, Schroeder, and Ramirez could all be Top 100 guys if they perform well where they are now assigned. Toro, Arauz, and E Valdez also have huge opportunities so see their stock soar if they keep playing how they have recently.

Marteen and No Worries like this.
  10. prospecthugger

It'll be an interesting decision for sure. I'm not sure they trust Straw to play 2B or 3B in anything other than garbage time since he hasn't played there, so it might require moving Correa off SS if he plays. I almost think Reed makes more sense, as you can shift Gurriel to 3B or even White in a pinch. de Goti or Mayfield make some sense as they wouldn't be a huge loss in an eventual DFA. Former Astros Jake Elmore was just DFA'd, so they might be able to swing a trade of cash considerations for him or another AAAA type.

Toro would be the funnest idea that makes some sense, as he'll be needing protection this offseason anyways, and is tearing up AA, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. prospecthugger

To add a little more intrigue, the lineup on the MiLB app for RR today has de Goti at SS and no Mayfield (or Straw), while RR tweeted out a lineup with Mayfield at SS and no de Goti.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Reed does make some sense except he’s playing so very poorly. With Kemp (2B), White (3B), Gurriel (2B/3B), and Bregman (SS/2B) all able to play the infield I don’t think versatility is a huge concern. I still think Straw makes the most sense. But it seems like a good chance to reward Mayfield.

13. Buck Turgidson

Opposite field line drive RBI single 1st AB

Marteen likes this.
  14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Seth Beer just hit a three-run homer for Corpus.

crose, Marteen and No Worries like this.
  15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They might just wait to IL Diaz a day or two until Altuve comes back.

16. Buck Turgidson

Took strike 1, fouled off about 6 pitches and then boom.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Seth Beer is a professional hitter. He came out of his mama swinging a baseball bat.

I know, I know... he is slow so he is a useless slug confined to never play a position and destined for the Mexican Leagues and then the carnival circuit.

Still he can hit and will be a better player than 75% of the prospects that will be ranked ahead of him that can run and have a definitive position but a Steve Balboni size hole in their swing.

18. Buck Turgidson

Rojas just hit another HR for Corpus, his was an oppo wind-aided high fly ball. Beer's was not.

Marteen likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He's the kind of prospect the Astros need to hit on the next couple years. In the late 1st round you aren't getting the uber elite 5 tool guys, but you can still get guys with some elite traits.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I agree, and the Astros have targeted these types of players. Luhnow worked with the Cardinals when they did something similar.

The Astros viewed Beer’s bat as top 2 in his draft class and got him late in round 1. A lot of teams go for toolsy players and over look guys that have a better chance of success because their velocity isn’t quite there or they are slow or positionless.

Beer has a chance to be an adequate or solid corner outfielder. He is slow, but is a good athlete and smart. He also has shown the ability to hit high velocity guys when some scouts said he couldn’t.

Buck Turgidson likes this.