1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Verve got their royalties back. Let's stream to a billion!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 24, 2019.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What is the point of this nonsense. Shouldn’t this be unsorted @KingCheetah

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ok. Bearing in mind this song original came out a long time ago and I assume on a CD... and in fact is still available

How is that $$ typically split?

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Some comments, don't know enough to whether tru or no
    • This song is on an album called "The Rolling Stones Songbook" by the Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra. Oldham was the Stones' manager and mentor for a time. This is not a symphonic cover of the Stones' song; it was merely INSPIRED by it. The melody bears pretty much zero resemblance to "The Last Time", yet Jagger and Richards received a full songwriting credit for it. This is just the beginning of my problems with this fiasco. Richard Ashcroft used a 5-second sample from Oldham's arrangement for "Bittersweet Symphony". That sample is repeated throughout most of the song. Ashcroft wrote the intro to the song, as well as all the lyrics, and the Stones agreed to a 50/50 split of the royalties--until they saw how well the song was doing. At that point, they decided that they wanted 100% of the royalties, because, oh, The Verve used the sample more extensively than they said they would. Boo hoo. First off, Keith Richards admitted that "The Last Time" was the Stones' adaptation of "This May Be the Last Time" by the Staples Singers, and the lyrical similarities are obvious. Strangely enough, the Stones were neither asked for, nor did they offer, any royalties to the original performers. Interesting, especially since they showed no such generosity when someone "borrowed" from them--which, again, didn't actually happen anyway. Secondly, if Jagger and Richards had a shred of honesty in their fossil-aged bodies, they would admit that they are not the songwriters of Oldham's version of "Last Time". They did not compose the arrangement, in whole or in part. Yes, I know Oldham named them as the songwriters. But that didn't suddenly become true just because Oldham said so. This should've been between Oldham and Ashcroft only. And to top it off, Richards has the balls to make a smug comment like, "If Ashcroft can write a better song, he can keep the money," when he had nothing--zero--to do with Ashcroft's song! Even IF Jagger and Richards composed this song, which they did not, what do they achieve by raking Ashcroft over the coals the way they did? This is about avarice, plain and simple. They're just a couple of miserable, greedy old bastards. Enjoy the money, a-holes.
    • It was Allen Klein who sued the Verve. The Stones did a bad deal in the 60s and do not own the rights to their pre 1970 recordings.
    • The Rolling Stones didn't make any money out if this, Alan Klein owns the rights to the Stones music from the 1960's, Richard Ashcroft and Klein agreed a 50/50 split on the royalties, then when Klein heard Bittersweet Symphony he realised it was a mind blowing piece of music and told The Verve it wouldn't be released unless he received 100% of the royalties. Ashcroft realised it was too good not to release so released it anyway. I believe Ashcroft made a minimal amount of money from the lyrics. Ironic really, 'a bittersweet symphony, you're a slave to money then you die', then some multi millionaire comes along and takes all the money it made....

#23 Invisible Fan, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    gatsby, malakas, BigM and 2 others like this.
  4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

^ Great post, invisible fan, as that is what I always had read about this situation. It was always very appalling to me how smug Jagger and Richards acted towards Ashcroft about this.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m going to throw some Urban Hymns on tonight. Haven’t played that in a while.

DCkid likes this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

What took the Stones so long to do the right thing? Everyone knew Klein was a b*stard.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Allen Klein is not a nice guy.

If you've ever seen the Beatles mockumentary, "The Rutles", John Belushi's character, Ron Decline, is Allen Klein:

The John Lennon song, "Steel and Glass" is supposedly about Allen Klein.

I assume the Stones have kept him around for so long because they like it that he's their ******* and keeps them from having to make difficult decisions. They can leave it to him and feign ignorance.

#27 Ottomaton, May 24, 2019
  8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't understand. Allen Klein got all the royalties for this song over the last two decades plus. But, Keith and Mick got the writing credit with Klein getting the royalties due to a bad deal the Stones made with him. Yet, Keith/Mick had the authority to give the writing credit back to the Verve guy so he now gets royalties going forward only. Is that because this bad deal between the Stones and Klein ended? Maybe I missed something? Otherwise, Keith/Mick could have given back the writing credit a long time ago?

#28 Surfguy, May 24, 2019
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

A classic from beginning to end. Even the deeper cuts like “Velvet Morning” are memorable. That Richard Ashcroft guy has soulfulness to spare. I saw them in Houston back in the late 90s...great show.

BigM likes this.
  11. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

So gehy, a ****ing CARDIGAN?? That's not rock n roll, it's a power ballad and a bad Bon Jovi rip off. It's music for milkmen and soccer mom's. I hate everything they did with an acoustic guitar barring 1 song. It's not what the rest of the band were really wanting to play, it was a compromise in their early sound and it's a limp wristed sound by comparison. But hey it moved units and made them famous.

Holy s*itballs, this footage takes anything the guy wrote with an acoustic and anally power F's it with no relief. Not even close. Saw them the next day in Houston and it was no lie, life changing.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Makes me wonder what your life was like before that show.

I was at that Austin one, my freshman year at UT.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  13. hooroo

hooroo Member

The lead singer ditched them for a solo career.

Buck Turgidson and Torn n Frayed like this.
  14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Which song is this? Which Tom Petty song does it take from?
    I have always been in the mind that Sampling was ok . .. . like here the 5 seconds . .looped/twisted/reverse/ etc
    Where the Sample is nearly untraceable/Unrecognizable
    I just hate whole sale samples (basically singing/rapping over the instrumental version of a song)

Rocket River

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's the Puff Daddy business model

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I hope they received all royalties from this anthem of 1st year college students -- a powerful song that defined a generation.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and hammer and far too many others

Rocket River

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

The 1st attempt at sampling another band by the early Verve. Unreleased until 2016.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Christ, I still remember that scene when he showed up on Letterman or Carson, I forget and he tried to describe why it was a different song. "See? We go 'dink DINK dink' and they went 'dink dink DINK'". I was thinking "ooh, ok... man, you got a legit case with that". You know their lawyers were facepalming straight through their skulls after that.

Rocket River likes this.