1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Verve got their royalties back. Let's stream to a billion!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 24, 2019.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This part is confusing.

When the song first came out, who benefited monetarily from that? I'm assuming the Verve? At what point does it change to "royalties"?

BigM likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Such a great song. I think about them getting jobbed and then basically disappearing every time I hear it.

Uprising likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That was always one of the most absurd copyright rulings, especially in music.

4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

The Freshman is such a great song!!! :eek:

MadMax, gatsby, DoitDickau and 3 others like this.
  5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Wow I never knew this, sucks that it went down that way.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When a song is played on the radio, only the songwriter gets paid. The performer does not get paid. That is why song writing credits are so important. In this case, the rolling stones got paid.

This is the case with that Sam Smith song. Tom Petty's estate gets paid even thought he song doesn't sound anything like the Tom Petty Song.

gatsby likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Radio = what now? Streaming, too? And songwriter = what? Just the lyrics? Or the music? Or what?

8. Buck Turgidson

The Stones and especially their manager were militant a-holes when it came to copyright infringement. They sued anybody (and lost a whole lot of cases) that had a remotely similar riff or sound or anything.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Wait, haven't heard about his one. Admittedly don't know who Sam Smith is. Got any comparative samples?

My favorite for chuckles was always Vanilla Ice trying to describe the difference b/t Ice Ice Baby and Under Pressure.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. rockbox

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Here's another:

weakfromtoday likes this.
  13. rockbox

Radio and streaming are the same thing. If you wrote the music or lyrics, you are the songwriter. The money gets split.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Comments section has interesting bits about the backstory and the Stones (lack of) involvment.

Torn n Frayed, CCity Zero and rockbox like this.
  15. rockbox

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Beat me to it, haha

Invisible Fan likes this.
  17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Whoever's listed as the songwriters gets the royalties. If you write the lyrics or the music you are considered a writer. Thats partially the reason why Buddy Holly was broke because his manager finagled himself a songwriting credit on The Crickets singles although he didn't write anything.

As far as Streaming..it pays pennies for royalties. It's a terrible deal for the artists.
    Artists can make 6 cents per radio airplay, but at most only about a 10th of that per stream.

for instance, it is estimated that Taylor Swift made around $310,000 for 46,300,000 streams of Shake it off. If she had that many plays on the radio, it would equal $2,700,000.

Granted, Taylor Swift isn't going to get 46 million airplays on the radio, so who this really hurts is the lesser known artists. The small groups are the ones getting killed on this. Especially since the loss of album sales due to streaming is staggering. The artists can sometimes make up to 10 cents per album (depending on the deal and the songwriters).

TheFreak likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

OK, I have heard that Sam Smith song, or part of it at least, before and at no point did I ever think of Tom Petty.

I can totally hear the Coldplay v Satriani one.

Wait so you're saying the Stones ripped off this guy first?

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This song was a massive hit right before Napster hit the world -- The Verve lost a small fortune not securing rights to that sample.

Sidenote: I thought Tom Petty let the Sam Smith thing slide.

Edit I didn't realize RA thought he had the rights of the instrumental.

Ashcroft had written the lyrics, but the instrumental elements of the song borrowed from an orchestral version of The Stones’ “The Last Time.” Ashcroft had permission from Decca, the record label that released the orchestral version of “The Last Time,” to use some of the instrumentals in exchange for half the royalties of “Bitter Sweet Symphony.”

But Stones manager Allen Klein sued The Verve for plagiarism just after “Bitter Sweet Symphony” was released because he thought they had used more of “The Last Time” than they’d agreed on.

A 1997 settlement gave Jagger and Richards songwriter credits, and handed over royalties to Klein’s ABKCO Records.

#20 KingCheetah, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    VanityHalfBlack likes this.