1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Original Danny Leroux: Rockets’ Repeater Tax fear more excuse than reality article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, May 21, 2019.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree with the rest of your post …. but this Love for Capela part …. sorry , not sorry. That's crazy.

Love is less playable against GSW than Capela …. Really , unless you are swapping Capela for Draymond Green , its pointless.

Capela helps you against every other team in the league - outplayed KAT and Gobert …. everyone gets eaten alive by GSW.

Love is Old , slow , injury prone ….and more expensive. If he's on the court Vs GSW he's getting exposed ….

Its 3-4 years too late to jump on the Love wagon.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I never thought Anderson's contract was such an albatross …. It wasn't helping anything but the closer to the end of it we got the more it became an asset. We carried Knight to the deadline instead …. then Shumpert so we got next to nothing in terms of production for it on the court.
    I saw it primarily as a trade facilitator NEXT year.
    Same as I saw Knight …. you are better off today with one of those contracts than you are currently as you don't give a damn about the player but the contract allows you to take in significant salary. That's the point the investment pays a return , your ability to get significantly better without having to give up a rotation piece.

As for Ariza , I recall something about Morey telling him he wasn't coming back from the get go. And that it was a financial decision.

Ariza said he thought he deserved a chance to come back and wasn't happy about it.

I thought it was a no brainer to retain him considering you had his bird rights and NO other viable way to replace him with a player of similar caliber.

That was one of the first times I started questioning this front office's motives - It made absolutely no sense from a talent acquisition perspective.
    Just look at how Phx was able to turn that 1 year contract into a quality young player.

The point is , those trades didn't occur.

Those trades would have made the team better NOW , and potentially later. We'd have had those players / bird rights going forward.

The trades they did make did not make the team better immediately Nor did they give them more financial flexibility going forward - In fact they were counter productive in that manner - Reducing financial flexibility (The ability to move salary).

Tax be damned , they should have held onto that first round pick and Knight's contract - It was only money. Money the owner claims to be willing to spend to improve the team.

He's telling us one thing and doing exactly the other.

Again , I ask you how do you improve this team when all you have is the T-MLE and a handful of veteran minimum contracts to play with ?

You'd be much better off from a talent acquisition perspective having that first round pick and a sizable contract that you don't mind moving.

It doesn't get any more cut and dried than that.

Bima and I discussed this at the deadline …. and he agreed with my position on the matter.

pippendagimp and Kim like this.
  3. biff17

biff17 Member

So your theory is based on trades that did not happen as if Morey and Tillman did not actually try and add salary to better the team?

That makes no sense.

It's as if we can trade for whatever we want and teams have agree, that's not how this works and you know that.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You don't understand.

My issue is based off what they actually did do - Use Assets to reduce salary. Assets that could have been used to get better instead of get cheaper.

Not what they tried to do or might have done with cooperation from Memphis or whomever else. Not playing What if's.

I really don't have a problem with them getting below the tax line.

What is troubling to me tho is how they limited their ability to improve beyond that.

And while they are very limited in how they improve and that was self inflicted , you have Tilman telling us he will do anything it takes.

Kim likes this.
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

That's not what you were saying at all.

and it's not what the initial article was saying,it was entirely having issues with getting under the tax.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Then you are reading into my statements what you want to read - Not my intent.

No further conversation required.