1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Shams] Rockets balance of styles and stars to mark this summer in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, May 23, 2019.

1. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

Ultimately there needs to be more ball movement in the offense, particularly if we have a few playmakers on the team that we can capitalize on.

It's less to do with the fact that we are good in isolation, and more to do with the fact that we have 2 world class passing guards on the team that can capitalize on ball movement. I think most of us forget how good Harden's passing is and instead of dribble dribble dribble, having constant movement and more openings due to that, we can take advantage of both the scoring and passing of CP3 and Harden, instead of mostly the individual scoring and solid passing on an extremely high usage rate.

Y2JT likes this.
  2. ballsohard

ballsohard Member

I really do but care either way

3. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

I made a post titled how to beat the warriors ,i specifically said we needed more ballmovement,yet i got bashed by idiot fans ,whos the genious now?

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is so ironic. I actually felt that Bev and Harrell (the two guys we traded for him and are paid a fraction of what he makes) would have helped more than CP3 in this postseason.

That said, even though Paul is not able to play at the star level anymore, his view about the game is still respectable. I trust his basketball IQ more than Harden's.

Y2JT and daywalker02 like this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

he would either do exactly what harden does or try to run offense? What’s your point?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's really frustrating, I dun like Kobe but if Harden had some of Kobe's (or Wade's) DNA, dayum, at least his body language would not be the same.

It's fascinating how similar they are, loving bball and getting better but the on court persona is vastly different.

Obv. Harden is even more talented.

#206 daywalker02, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Easy likes this.
  7. wesbound

wesbound Member

I've been seeing this the whole season & last season. Harden is so good but couldn't he at least act like he cares & when he's not initializing the offense?
    Wish he would've set more picks or cut more often than the many time where he isn't even shown in the half court camera view...

8. pass_to_Hakeem

I totally agree. Most of these athletes are super competitive and don’t like watching a guy tank it / “half ass it”.... idc what all nba team this or that , that Harden makes.... he takes plays off!! And some are at crucial times

9. HP3

HP3 Member

Not a good way to look at it my man.

10. PWR

PWR Member

The problem isn't ball movement.
    The problem is shot selection.

Houston Rockets
    Three point attempts - 3721
    Percent made - 35.6%
    Two point attempts - 3442
    Percent made - 55.1%
    Total points scored - 9341 points

Warriors
    Three point attempts - 2824
    Percent made - 38.5%
    Two point attempts - 4537
    Percent made - 55.7%
    Total points scored - 9650 points

Bucks
    Three point attempts - 3134
    Percent made - 35.3%
    Two point attempts - 4337
    Percent made - 53.5%
    Total points scored - 9686 points

Raptors
    Three point attempts - 2771
    Percent made - 36.6%
    Two point attempts - 4534
    Percent made - 53.9%
    Total points scored - 9384 points

Conclusion: All the other teams shot more two pointers than threes, therefore their offenses scored more points because they are higher percentage shots. They each shot about 1000 more two pointers (easier) than we did.

Our philosophy is backwards. We shoot all these threes, which we aren't good at. We don't shoot enough twos, which we are awesome at.

That is the damn problem. Either shoot more two pointers or get some real long range shooters.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Well your post implied that Harden would be crazy to call Paul lazy because he walks it up the court dribbles the ball for 16 seconds.

When faced with the actual stats. Either the amount that Harden lazily walks up the ball and dribbles 16 seconds is extremely overstated by a confirmation bias or Paul is nearly just as guilty as Harden of being “lazy”.

Which makes the post I originally responded to nonsensical.

12. mrstriker316

mrstriker316 Member

Cp3 or harden havent used their social media in a good minute

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Tell that to your fellow officers

14. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Thanks for the breakdown. Hard to argue with that. I think their philosophy isn’t necessarily off, but needs to be adjusted. Use the two’s to open up the threes. Rather than the three’s to open up the two’s.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Ummm... The other 3 teams by my quick math all shot about 200 more shots than we did. THAT is why they scored more points.

16. PWR

PWR Member

Turnovers

Iso Team
    Rockets - 1094

Ball movement teams
    Warriors - 1169
    Bucks - 1137
    Raptors - 1150

Conclusion: The Iso Rockets took care of the ball more than the ball movement teams. That's a good thing, right?

17. PWR

PWR Member

Pace and Offensive rebounding. We suck at that too. I was going to get to that in a minute.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean if you have less passing on a team, obviously the likelihood of a turnover is going to be less. results aren't exactly surprising if accurate

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you actually watched the games, you'd see that while both of them played at a slow pace and dribbled a lot, their styles are very different. I don't know if I should call either "lazy" but they are slow.

Harden takes the full 8 seconds to cross mid court. Paul usually take less time. Harden dribbles seemingly without purpose in front of his defender for another 8 seconds or so before he makes a move to start attacking. Paul keeps poking and trying to penetrate into the paint. If he can't make a play, he will back out and try again. In short, Harden's long dribbling is usually stationary. Paul moves around while dribbling. That's why just showing the average time they dribble does not tell you what really happens.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Let me just stop you there.

Only the Warriors scored more efficiently than we did. And only by the absolute slimmest of margins.

The ONLY reason those 3 scored more than us was they played faster therefore more possessions, therefore more shot attempts.

You falsely made a correlation using some stats while completely ignoring significant info to bolster the less 3s more 2s agenda.