1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D’Antoni explains why he doesn’t like calling timeouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hcw128, May 21, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

In the end i'm not even sure what's the point in getting too technical here, i mean, timeouts are literally there to be used to stop the game, whether it is because you want to change players or gameplan, to quiet the crowd or to stop other teams momentum...timeouts are literally there to stop the game and regroup/adjust so, if you won't use them when your team is drowning (which is what Mike usually does late), i don't know...

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You're pretty annoying and a know-it-all. Just FYI.

YOLO and HP3 like this.
  3. Rockets4Life13

Well i've not been watching basketball for 20 years or more but one thing i sure noticed is that Timeouts do definetly stop runs.

I dont know where the hell he is getting that data from.

Crashlanded19, caneks and PeterKingX like this.
  4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Murray got into him

There is no way analytics can measure an outcome of a timeout....

PeterKingX likes this.
  5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Lol.

If you still not calling timeout when ur players too tired to move legs, its called stupid.

bmelo likes this.
  6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Timeout is used for adjustments and resting players.

Those words prove again that MDA knows nothing about adjustments.

We even dont need MDA out there since the game started. He can go home sleeping.

Jontro, Crashlanded19 and Ramo$e like this.
  7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Nerds dont know basketball

8. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

If we dont need calling timeout, then why we need a coach out there?

9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This.

MDA's words make me confused.
    Perhaps he is too old to have clear mind.

10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How about the analytic that the most successful NBA coach of all time does not do this. He was famously vocal about not calling timeouts. The most successful NBA coach of all time is on the same side as Mike.

HP3 likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

LOOOOL. Peter you must be a huge nerd then.

12. BreakYoSelfFool

I think this is the biggest reason timeouts don't show affect in scoring runs more. Most great coaches take corrective action sooner before it becomes a big run. If the same mistake is made too many times the coach will call a time out to correct it. The Rockets have way too many times repeated the same foolish actions repeatedly to give up big runs or lose leads. I'm sure if you look at how many times the Rockets have turnovers on 3 or more consecutive possessions compared to the Spurs it would be a huge difference. Because Pop will call a time out the 2nd time and make some type of adjustment.

Also timeouts are limited in the 4th quarter (3) and last 3 mins of a game (2) so not necessary to save them too much.

bmelo, Ramo$e and caneks like this.
  13. BreakYoSelfFool

Popovich has many of the fastest timeouts in history....Not same side as Mike

https://thecomeback.com/nba/gregg-p...s-a-timeout-one-possession-into-the-game.html
    https://www.poundingtherock.com/2018/3/19/17140414/gregg-popovich-and-the-art-of-early-timeouts

caneks likes this.
  14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I bet you are those who only speak basketball but never play it. You know nothing about basketball.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Well thats not true at all LOL. But if your game is anything like your basketball takes than you must be a horrible horrible player haha.

16. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Thanks for the tip...people often call me a phallus.

Maybe I'm just showing a little sense of urgency something this coach lacks therefore this team lacks.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

D'anPhonie has never played a game of "21" with make until you miss free throws. You know when that one kid always just drains his free throws to keep scoring and you just have to stand there and rebound for him. Well, instead of passing back to him, you roll it out of reach to either side of him, so he has to step away from his spot, to throw off his rhythm. 60% of the time, it works every damn time.

Rockets4Life13 and Jake Tower like this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

@seeratsohi: The early timeout that helped the Raptors match Giannis Antetokounmpo's intensity, beat the Bucks in Game 4 and flip the script on the Eastern Conference Finals:
    https://t.co/lfBJJYpxON

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

20. BreakYoSelfFool

Phil Jackson didn't call timeouts to try to stop runs, but he almost always called timeouts when players made silly mistakes or for the last possession. Even if only to tell Pippen to sit down and shut up because he wasn't clutch. He also called timeouts if players needed a breather (Shaq). Or if he needed to bench someone who wasn't performing.

Phil coached more with one on one interaction. He would pull players to the bench to talk to them and make adjustments individually. I think most would consider that just as useful as a timeout, but its not what we do.

bmelo likes this.