1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D’Antoni explains why he doesn’t like calling timeouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hcw128, May 21, 2019.

1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

This.

People just refuse to accept this because their data tells them to.

saleem likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The stupid owner and GM are giving him an extension. They are equally to blame.

lw17 likes this.
  3. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Lol, this kind of logic makes me want to consider our other options ... Too tired of this chill, "let's play it out, we got the mvp, we got blahblahblah, we're good ... we'll figure it out" crap. It's not as bad as Mchale but it's kinda annoying. If this is the case, then we should never call a timeout unless it's to sub out players (all 2 of them in the playoffs) ... but even d'antoni calls timeouts when the other team is on a 15-0 run. So he's not even consistent at this.

Ramo$e likes this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This will continue until the statistician is in charge.

smp and lw17 like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Ahhh yes, it was the timeouts...YES OF COURSE, The timeouts were why we couldnt beat the Warriors.

Jugdish likes this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

well havent you heard? He's an offensive genius - and we're lucky to have him bc there's nobody available who would be better....just look at his offensive efficiencies....blah blah blah...

he's fools gold that some people are still enamored with... as if stats are a replacement for actually winning a championship.... smh...

bmelo, saleem, snowconeman22 and 5 others like this.
  7. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

There's a reason Dan Tony has never defeated Greg Popovich, Phil Jackson, or even Steve Kerr in the playoffs.

#27 Jake Tower, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    kevtse, saleem, BamBam and 2 others like this.
  8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Has anyone run the analytics on how the Rockets play when D'Antoni is standing vs. when he's sitting on the sidelines? This scumbag ain't standing enough smh.

smp, HP3 and justtxyank like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not gonna call a timeout 'cause we're just gonna play our game. We don't adjust to them, they adjust to us!

kjayp likes this.
  10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Because those guys coached some of the greatest teams of all time? It can't be the timeouts...Phil Jackson is the poster boy for "no timeout, let them work it out on the court".

HP3 and justtxyank like this.
  11. amaru

amaru Member

Wow...this is worse than I thought :oops:

smp and lw17 like this.
  12. s3ts

s3ts Member

you can't confuse giving players a chance to think over the strategy and letting them get their feet off the floor with lack of confidence.

in-game adjustments against a top-tier defensive and offensive team are imperative. against elite teams, you won't beat them without adjustments. that would make no sense.

kjayp, snowconeman22 and amaru like this.
  13. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

D’Antoni doesn't need to say anything during timeouts, he just needs to let Harden, CP3, and Tucker talk it out during timeout. Players can't do that when you don't call the damn timeout. D’Antoni can just step aside and let the players call the plays if he doesn't have anything to contribute, but IMO timeouts during those instances are needed. I get so frustrated when I see the Rockets go on an expected routine scoring drought while unable make stops on the other end and MDA doesn't call timeouts.

14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I'll retract the Phil Jackson comparison, I believe Dan Tony beat Phil in 2006.

15. lw17

lw17 Member

Aren't they talking about extending him right now as well?

bmelo likes this.
  16. JW86

JW86 Member

MDA is a ducking moron! Especially with all those ipads, you can show your players what they’re doing and how they can improve to stop the opponent. You can actually pay attention during the game and provide some insight that they might need, something that might seem straight forward but when a team makes a run on you in particular, at some point you can get rattled and or just miss things. Lastly, MOTIVATE your guys!!!!

kjayp and amaru like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

coming from someone who told the rockets to watch portland and made his own thread about it, not sure you're the best person out here to give advice

oh btw portland got swept

18. amaru

amaru Member

I always suspected that Mike’s grasp of the feel of the game was weak but it’s shocking to hear it confirmed. The man doesn’t even understand how time outs benefit his team. Talking about how all Brett Brown’s time outs in Philly were “eating into his dinner time”! Lol :confused:

kjayp likes this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm glad somebody brought this up...The coach with the MOST championships of all time is famous for holding this same opinion.

HP3 likes this.
  20. JW86

JW86 Member

I don’t care about your feelings or opinion about me. Focus on our coach is my advice.