1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Sam's water bottle.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

From the whole Gilly story line, we know he's thirsty

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

The water bottle was the least of their problems...

MiddleMan and The Real Shady like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Emblematic, like the coffee cup, of everyone involved being kind of over it already (exception: composer).

mikol13 and sammy like this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The way they have ended the show, you could have put an Escalade in the background and they would have totally missed it.

mikol13, B-Bob, cml750 and 5 others like this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They ended the WAY they wanted it, not the way you to wanted. Sorry, you didn’t like it. People expected these bloody battles to the end....oh well. A Dragon is a nuclear bomb, and Dany used it. Ty and John saw the horrors of someone that
    Again, Bran’s job as the 3 eyed Raven was not to actively change the future. Remember, he told Jon it was up to him to tell Sansa and Ayra about his heritage. Also, remember it was Sam who found out and something to Bran (who already knew).

Bran ‘s job was more to advise than actively change things.

arno_ed and K mf G like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

My Cable and Internet where out for 25 hours so I couldn't partake in the disappointment in real time with the rest of the earth.. I didn't want to be spoiled for the final time so I did all my projects in the Janitor's closet and stayed off my phone and away from TV until I could watch the show unspoiled and unsullied 12 hours later...

Final Verdict: Oh Boy.

Watching Grey Worm looking at all these white people getting off easy was hilarious. He bolted for Naath quuuuuick.

Grey Worm saying he didn't want their crap he just wanted justice was super meta and I don't know if D&D realized what they were writing and how powerful it is for a certain melanated fan base. (In fact I know they didn't know what they were writing because the very next line from Tyrion was a disrespectful, "You don't get to decide.")

Same thing when Grey Worm threw Missandei's only possession, a slave collar, That Dany was clutching like it was something to be cherished, into the fire. That's some powerful sh-t, and I don't think they were going for that kind of symbolism.

#2227 DreamShook, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    K mf G, mikol13 and JuanValdez like this.
  8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Okay, that's pretty funny.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

So is he still supposed to avoid changing things? Or was that just to ensure this ending happened?

If he can't use it to change things now, then having him as King is literally pointless.

Absolutely brilliant!

11. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

That is actually the point. Bran is a figurehead King so that Tyrion can actually due the ruling. If anything the whole exchange where Tyrion nominates Bran and Bran asks for Tyrion to be his top advisor suggests they both know what the deal is and is okay with it.

12. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Pretty sure I saw that horse dead . Not really sure why this part is picked on . It was just a cintimatic shot and there are many better things to complain about , like huge plot holes ,also like who the hell is Bran even ? He should have died when he fell out the window.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think that the problem with the finale is that it is too happy or too many main characters were left alive. The problem (with not just the final episode, but the final two seasons) is that the series changed the universe's fundamental "laws of physics" on us. And those fundamental laws are what made the series (and the books) great.

The greatness of the series/books is about the story being ruthlessly committed to the rules of the world, including:

1. Actions have consequences.

2. Characters stay "on brand" and uphold their value, whether to their advantage or their detriment.

Take the Red Wedding-- it happened because idealistic honorable Robb decided to marry for love, and a natural consequence of agitating his (supposed) ally Walder Frey had the quite reasonable effect of getting him killed. It's not just about the shocking death of beloved characters. The story that culminated in the Red Wedding also played out rather deliberately-- we see how things develop slowly, something bad is gonna happen if Robb doesn't change his mind, then we end up with his direwolf's head sewed to his corpse.

The death of Ned played out much the same way: Ned had to be Ned, Joffrey had to be Joffrey and the natural consequences of this many-episodes-long development is Ned's head on a spike. Dany being this firebrand liberator leads to the crisis in Meereen because Slavers Bay gotta Slavers Bay. There is a certain logical order to how the story plays out.

Then all of a sudden the story-telling changed on us-- Dany taking, if not a 180 degree turn, then at least very sudden 90 degree turn is the epitome of this. I could see her being incredibly cruel to surrendering Lannisters officers, but torchng civilians? Then we have all of this sudden time jumps, teleporting characters, contrived choices seemingly meant only to advance the plot to the predetermined ending within the proscribed # of episodes. It just doesn't feel like the same world anymore. Reminds me of fight scenes with unrealistic bad CGI physics where things just don't move like they should.

So, I could see this exact ending to the story being done much better. But the way they got to this point just does not follow the same rules that the show established for itself.

#2233 Carl Herrera, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  14. Buck Turgidson

Nope. It has the exact same marking on its nose.

Maybe they got lazy with the props and just reused the same horse for no reason.

15. TheresTheDagger

16. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

At the risk of repetition, would a dark ending of Night King overrunning Winterfell and then Kings Landing and taking over Westeros been acceptable to the fanbase?

The issue to me is that they simply didn't have time to wrap up all the loose ends. But NK defeating everyone could have been done in six great episodes!

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Sam discovered plastic? Incredible maester already. Or this is evidence of time travelers in GOT.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, and somehow Grey Worm is sailing for Naath, home of Missandei.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Uh pretty much the entire "council" that made Bran king? The fact that Jon's heritage never even came up during that discussion was ridiculous.

I didn't hate the final season as much as most did, but his true identity being largely inconsequential was a huge disappointment. That was the biggest twist/reveal in the show.

dachuda86, B-Bob and daywalker02 like this.