1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets and D’Antoni working on extension?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, May 19, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

did that 56 win year start 11-14? pretty sure that team started off well

HP3 likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah I think we started off fairly well .

What does that have to do with anything ?

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

why wouldnt it have to do with it? context still matters.

mda's team started in a massive hole with a bunch of scrubs and injuries and still got within what 3 games less than a highlighted season that you brought up. I'd say it has something to do with it

HP3 likes this.
  5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I remember when mike taught the stepback three to Nash

It was almost as cool as the time he taught Nash the euro step

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Joe Johnson who had been a multiple All Star and just the year before single handedly won a playoff game. No its not an indictment to give him a chance please. And we werent the only ones looking to get Joe btw.

YES HE WAS. Gerald was shooting his shots like he always does, this time he happend to miss.

Oh please, he struggled on offense and defense. And Dantoni took him out because he was getting killed by KD and was making bone headed plays on offense. I can live with putting Gerald out there if he gets hot. But maybe he should have seen a some minutes at home, that I will agree with.

LOL, really. Alright...are you serious? David West barely did that against us last year, he barely even saw floor time. And Nene has never run that action with us.

No he would not. Im not even gonna discuss Faried.

LOL, which guys. Jordon Bell barely played. The only reason him and Jerebko even got a shot was because Durant went out. If Paul was who he was last year, Kerr would have paid for having Jerbko and Bell out there at all. We banked on Iguodala not becoming an amazing 3 point shooter this series and it didnt work out for us. He went 5/8 in game 6.

The only reason we even got to slim against a much more talented team was because of the coaching and system we have.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

This is exactly why I chose that season

We had crazy injuries that year and a thin roster to begin with.

Dwight missed half the season and was at 50 percent for the half he did play

Our best 2 other players were dmo and Ariza

In the playoffs dmo and Beverley's were out and we used josh smith and Dwight Howard to their peak ability lol to take us to the Wcf

Can you imagine MDA allowing the offense to run through dmo in the post , as a 3rd year player !?

The one constant .... harden

MDA is a better coach than mchale IMO , but not by that much

8. HP3

HP3 Member

Really, how bout you compare the season right after we went to the WCF? Dantoni has way more sucess as a coach than Mchale has ever had.

RyanB likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean that team had about 8 players averaging double figures. some of those names now today wouldn't be a rotation player but at the time 4 years ago they were

this current team maybe had like 5 or 6 guys average that much. harden is the constant but I'd say the difference between mda and mchale is pretty significant. as a head coach. even one of mda's worst seasons as a rocket, is just as good as mchales best season. Especially coming in with a 11-14 hole

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I mean he's also had many more chances .
    Mchale had basically one full year in Minnesota and then 4 with us .

First year here ... missed the playoffs

Second year , 3rd in our division
    Third year , 2nd in our division
    Fourth year , 1st in our division second seed overall

5th year .... gets off to 4-7 start and is fired .

I will not defend him as being a great coach . But he's also never had the type of talent MDA has had to work with while he's here.

Also clearly those first couple of years we were a young - developing team and not title contenders at all .

Expectations changed once we got Dwight. He didn't deliver . Mchale didn't deliver . That POR series was awful coaching .... but he made up for it by (helping to) getting us to the wcf next season .

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

MDA is great. There is no positive delta we can get from a new coach that can take the team to a title. Everything from here on out is praying we can make the right moves with our personnel. Harden was already trending up, but he pretty much provided the right environment for Harden to become a one man team.

Perfect coach for a TOP HEAVY team which is what we should be aspiring to be. Sure you want a great coach if we were a rebuilding team, but we aren't. If we have a more balanced squad then yeah MDA wouldn't be a good fit.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Damn...this moment with Tucker and Pippen is special...

I wonder if the players are beginning to doubt this system.

13. amaru

amaru Member

When even BSPN sees through Mike’s BS it’s super obvious what the problem is.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Woah what ....Link?

15. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Easy response: the current version of the team has topped out, it's time for a new coach.

Harder version: ---------- is currently available and would be an improvement.

16. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Imagine listening to Brian Windhorst on anything. Dude got kicked from Bron’s circle and has been hating on everyone.

Scottie also is a hater overall.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It was on ESPN before the game, Tuck came on to talk with Pippen and Pippen basically was asking him if he thought this style of play was going to win a ring.

Pippen sort of got him because Tuck said that with Durant they are more 'Predictable' so Scottie goes "With how Harden plays you guys are more predictable.."

And Tucker agreed but then kind of said with this smile on his face that the way we play is down to analytics and more points per possession and they were both kind of laughing about it. Hopefully, someone will put it up before the end of the day.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Uhh, i dont know if Divisions have really mattered for a long time.

Mchale had the same team as he did when he want to the WCF and then had a season that tanked completely. None of the players liked him(Harden especially). Everyone would complain about him. You have guys like Nash coming out and praising Dantoni. You think Mchale would ever have success with Phoneix like Mike did, I dont believe it.

I know you dont like him and want him gone and thats fine. But Mike is a much better coach in every aspect. You dont have to make outlandish statements like that my man. Its flat out untrue.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

Oh yea he definitely rides Bron’s coattails. So the fact that even Windhorst can see Mike’s issues that means they are glaring.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Man I used to like the Jump. But they have really been a bunch of tools lately. No one on our team should ever give them an interview ever again.