1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Relievers are the one weakness Luhnow said the Express have (not to mention the Astros to some degree, w/ Devenski, Valdez, and carrying only 7). If they end up DFA'ing Reed I bet they'll wish they protected Riley Ferrell in the Rule V instead. He's on rehab assignment, but he has overpowering stuff and seems to have turned the corner.

I have a strong feeling they're going to flip some of the positional log jam for pitching: Kemp, White, Fisher, (Straw only for a stellar offer). I'd include Beer on this list next year, his stock is rising too fast to trade now IMO. They've traded a few decent relievers recently, and I guess they didn't have decent pitching offers for JD Davis.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

When was the last time an Astros starter left with the lead and the Astros lost? I'm assuming it happened sometime in 2018.

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m surprised Houston hasn’t used their open 40 man spots to claim optionable pitchers to upgrade their AAA staff from guys like Emanuel, Sneed, McCurry, and Garza. I thought their bullpen would be stellar built around Bostick/Sneed as long guys and Deetz, Guduan, and McCurry in the back end. But Deetz got hurt and McCurry just hasn’t gotten it done. If they shifted Cionel Perez to the pen, promoted Ivey and Scheetz, and added one good reliever via waiver claim, their staff would look pretty good:

Rotation: Whitley, Ivey, Armenteros, Hartman, Urquidy
    Bullpen: Rodgers, Bostick, Scheetz, Deetz, Guduan, Blanco, Perez, TBD

#1083 Snake Diggit, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Miguelangel Sierra hit his 6th HR of the season today. Teasing combo of power and defense from him. 21 year old IF with 20 HR power in High A is something to dream on, but 35% k rate is hard to overcome.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yohan Ramirez allowed a hit, walked one, and struck out 11 over 6.2 shutout innings for Fayetteville.

He now has 57 strikeouts in 35.2 innings this season.

Marteen, Snake Diggit and No Worries like this.
  7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

J.B. Bukauskas @ Midland: 6 IP, 4 H, ER, 6 K

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Lazy-ass Kyle Tucker just hit a two-run double to break a 4-4 tie in Round Rock's favor in the 8th inning.

Marteen and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think the Astros have any real interest in trading Seth Beer. Maybe to get an ace pitcher, but otherwise they want his bat. Trading him now would also not maximize their return.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Did he pout rounding first?

Marteen and Htown Legend like this.
  11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ramirez has allowed just 15 hits this season and opponents are hitting .124 against him.

Hunter Martin finished off a one-hitter by striking out five over the final 2.1 innings. Colton Shaver, Scott Manea, and Jonathan Arauz all finished with three hits.

Marteen likes this.
  12. prospecthugger

In the month of May his strikeout rate is down to ~23%, so maybe he's starting to make some progress there, though getting even a utility player out of him would be a huge win at this point.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They have three blown saves this year, James, Rondon and Pressly. They won each of those games.

everyday eddie and No Worries like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

But still no losses when starter leaves with a lead. Outside of a small number of games, pen has kept the lead or kept games close.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sorry...I was reinforcing your point.

16. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Harris, Pressly and Osuna may be the best #7-8-9 in the game, especially #8-9. It’s the #6 spot, and when those three need rest, is where we could improve, which thankfully hasn’t been a need too often. I’m sure many of us braced for a loss once Valdez came in today, same if it was Devenski. Today was one of the few times Hinch gave the ball to either of those two with the game still on the line. I don’t trust Rondon either, which is why he’s not the #7. Hopefully Joe Smith returns to 2017 form. James may very well start soon if Martin returns to AAA to avoid Super 2.

We need to develop/acquire relief talent at the higher levels for depth IMO. We’re screwed with any injuries at the back end. Ivey, maybe Bielak or Bukauskas may be good bets down the road.

#1096 Tuk88, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sorry. Misunderstood.

bobrek likes this.
  18. HTown2017Champs

Harris is back to All-Star form (or maybe even a bit better) so far this year. I was on record in favor of moving on from him, but that is why I'm not the GM. He's this year's Sipp, a pleasant surprise. #ContractYearHarris

vonwafer234 likes this.
  19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

James has been good recently, has a 0.00 ERA in May with a 13/2 K to BB ratio.

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

For the third time this season, Alex McKenna was placed on the IL in Quad Cities

Parker Mushinski was also placed on the IL in Fayetteville.