1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You are seeing why we have to play iso

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 17, 2019.

1. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

...For this team? Probably. This team doesn't have the intelligence or passing to make it work.

But on a realistic note, styles don't dictate whether or not you beat GS. Talent and execution(smarts) does.

2. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Mm, I don't think iso is the only way, but few teams have the immense talent to diversify offensive options that put the warriors in danger.

I don't necessarily hate that the Rockets play iso, I just dislike that they walk the ball up for 8 seconds before they begin their hunting for steph. Someone youtuber pointed out just how effective the warriors have been to switch curry off of the guy about to come and screen for Harden ... The Rockets never did figure this out and thus we wasted many possessions with Harden iso-ing on iggy, klay, kd, and draymond with few seconds left on the shot clock. You have to credit the warriors for figuring that out this year. Last year they weren't as prepared. The Rockets didn't seem to ever address this, or they didn't know how or didn't have the players to do so. Ideally you'd have enough player movement off the ball to not make things so easy for curry to hide.

Also, iso-ing KD was Harden's least efficient iso opponent. He did his best against steph/klay, but had the most trouble on KD. It was surprising how much he was converting against klay/iggy. He hadn't had nearly as much success on his iso's against them in previous years.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

For the most part I agree with you on your post. Because Brook Lopez can give the Bucks 5 out.....I give them a good chance of beating the Warriors this year. Among other factors.

I’m not against Pick-n-Roll, as I’m not against a football team forcing run vs a great defense as a means
    of drawing the focus of the defense towards the line of scrimmage. At the risk of getting 2 yards a carry or less for the first 3 quarters......things might bust open as a result of fatigue later in the game. Warriors
    are getting less depth as time goes forward each year.

#83 ApacheWarrior, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
  4. basketballholic

I don't care if Morey has been ahead of me on anything. I didn't come up with a theory. I watched it play out in the games. We've already got our Draymond in PJ. We need a better Andre and a shooting switching 5 man like Luc to beat these guys.

Wild my honey.

5. basketballholic

Actually it's unrealistic to believe they can be outtalented. Is rather foolish. Execution, yes. But execution of what? The right system. The right strategy. The right system still beat them when we can't and don't outtalent them.

6. basketballholic

I'm not against PnR right. Against the Warriors though the PnR can only be used dynamically IF their big (Draymond) ever started jumping the pick-and-pop. Then the big could slip the pick and go to the rim.

But that's all based on establishing 5-out play with shooters at every spot.

7. basketballholic

What you don't need is any posts to distort what I think about Capela. You're so closed minded you think I'm poking on Capela when there's is nothing there about Capela except I realize I played his very best.

5 out does preclude Capela because he can't shoot. But it also precludes DJ and a host of other bigs like Nene, Bogut, etc. One or two of those blokes can fill out your roster and can even eat minutes for us during ther regular season to save our South Beach 5 lineup. But none of those non- shooting centers will work to take down the Warriors. Gotta have a shooter that can switch.

Gotta play 5 out!!!!!!!!

8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I disagree that's a luxury cause most of the time u gonna be small anyways.....cause trust me Lopez ain't playing against the warriors in the finals. He wont be able to stay on the court...

Wait u said switch n shot 3s....
    It's no one there that exists that can do both.....well one guy...ad. n that's not happening

9. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

N we thinking to hard on this....our problem was chris Paul isnt a high percentage iso threat anymore.(butler for that) n the other problem was Clint was good at making the simple hockey pass n the rockets let him get taken out the offense. Trust me I'm as low on clint as most here.but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water....here's what u do. Teach Clint how to handle that situation better.....that's on coach's since we dont see teams do us like that defensively alot. Curry them.used to getting trapped like that when they didnt have Durant for years.

Next if a small takes your lob away..stop throwing it at the rim but instead over the top where Clint could just seal come down with the ball then dunk.

10. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

The 8 second walk up is on purpose too, slows the game down. U want gsw to have a few possessions as possible. Like it or not the rockets are pretty smart. Honestly I think the maximize their chances with the sub par talent they have.

11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

We had this those. Mda just didnt stay with it. Tucker should of been ur center the whole series
    ..period. it's no big in the league that can run with the Hamptons 5..again unless u a unicorn AD. No one else can play a real big in a 5 out n not be exposed on the other end by gsw. We should of played tucker 5, we really didnt have a guy that could of been the 4 on our team that's good(this is were we missed ariza) but my idea would of had harden at the 4 on defense, then Gordon cp3 n Austin. We have seen harden guard Draymond many years. We never went to that our series

12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

ISO ball was working, Capela was not.
    That’s the difference in the ball game.
    When ISO was breaking down the defender Capela was getting worked by donkey.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

you just blew my f*cking mind man. thank you

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

I suppose that's a positive. I feel like it comes at a cost to our offense at the same time though ... But I guess it makes sense against GS, but any other team ... I dont know

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Secretly disguised "I hate Capela" thread

16. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

My opinion but @basketballholic this is one of your best posts. Very true. Great read.

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

What do u mean against any other team they are virtual unbeatable. It's really only 2 teams u can say is legit better then us. Gsw n maybe bucks but we need more data on them against us. So as rockets fans I dont get why we dog the rockets do much...if u step away in look, of course we dont have the ring in what 25 something years but so dont alot of teams not named lebron's or gsw. But we have one of the league's highest winning percentages. I've embraced our style. Cause we have gone as far as we can without a actual championship....yes I cant wait to win one. But I say we double n triple down on our style...more iso guys really. Butler. More 3 n d guys

18. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

I was referring to the whole possessions thing against other teams not named GS. Other teams aren't that scary offensively that we need to limit their possessions by walking it up every time. More of a thought then a point tho haha.

As a Rockets fan, there's a difference in bashing our team and wanting more. I've been more prone to invite diversity in our offense, not because I don't think iso with the best iso player doesn't work (it clear nets us 50 wins). But, I think there is such a thing as diversifying your options. I think Harden had a ridiculously good year, and one of his best playoffs' as well, but is it possible that we could not throw out everything that we're good at but simply add a few other components? From a basketball standpoint, that looks at the different kind of looks Harden can look for (cue the midrange/lack of spacing/off-ball movement debates), as well as a few plays that can get his other teammates going so that we don't end up blaming them for bricking wide open 3s when they haven't touched the ball in a while. Just because we can critique doesn't mean we throw out everything. We are in fact a good iso team (even with cp3 becoming less effective at it), but that doesn't mean that's all we have to be.

But regardless, yes more 3&D guys would literally help any team in the league. It's that kind of era right now.

19. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

And the warriors hardly tried is some of those series, weren’t exactly starting the hamptons 5 against the clips