1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You are seeing why we have to play iso

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, May 17, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea man! Cuts and off the ball movement are bad!!

Blazers are losing because they are outmatches talent wise. Idk how they even made it this far. Rockets lost because they play stupid and undisicpled

2. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol I love you mention Iggy but make no mention of Luc who was absolutely a better defender and a serviceable offensive player. With him and CP I’m we beat the Warriors, stop it.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have no clue what youre talking about. Your **** is gibberish... always.
    Are you arguing for ISO or against now (as it "failed two post seasons now")?

Moreover, as is typical of you, your reading comprehension is close to zero.

Me: Nurkic is their second or third best player.
    You: Nurkic isn't their second best player, you're dumb for thinking so.
    Me: I said second OR third, and depending on the night that's true.
    You: You have no rebuttal.

What is clear on this board, is that you are not liked. Everyone thinks your opinions are stupid. They laugh at your continued feigned insider info. Yet you're here, continually, over and over.

Get a life man, lol.

4. JayZ750

The Rockets have more talent then the Clippers or Blazers. The Clippers won two in Oracle. The Blazers had a huge lead in Oracle, only to relinquish it and lose by three, a closer loss than any Rocket loss this post-season in Oracle. So... basically exactly what I said.

I'm not sure what is even being debated.

You can't say "hey, this proves ISO works!" when to the contrary, the two other teams that haven't won ISO have had more success as a road team than your team did. ISO still might be best. Or might not. But the basis of this argument is moronic.

5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

This is the Best Thread Post Rockets Loss to GSW so far

JayZ750 likes this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

According to nba.com/stats we isolate on roughly 20% of our possessions which is tops in the league and roughly twice as much as the 2nd highest isolation team.

Also, in my opinion, the only reason this was close was the 3 point advantage.

I think your best bet to “consistently” beat them is win the 3 point battle handily. Obviously it’s not going to work every time, but it really is your best bet.

PhiSlamma15 and HP3 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

The Warriors are not taking them seriously at all, they are just going through the motions

8. basketballholic

Good point. I've never seen this as a half to half issue as much as a necessity issue. Just like playing the Hampton 5. They play the Hampton 5 as little as possible to still win games to conserve their minutes, especially during the regular season. Then they increase those minutes as needed to win in the playoffs.

You can look at point differential and make a case that we're close. But you've got to go beyond point differential and look away how many minutes the Hampton 5 or the Hampton 4 played together against us to determine how close we really are to them.

But your point about the trapping late is legit And that's because typically they can run one great player down and force a non- playmaking shooter to put the ball on the deck. This is similar to what we do to them in doubling SC/KD in hopes that Klay will get the ball and start dribbling around. Unfortunately they've got two other handles in Draymond and Iggy that can relieve that pressure very very well.

So not only 5 out but 3 of those 5 have to be able to put the ball on the deck and at least dribble drive to a rim finish or make a dish.

We were trying to develop this early in the season with Capela. But we went away from it for whatever reason that I don't know.

#48 basketballholic, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    RyanB likes this.
  9. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I don’t agree that 5-out is the only way to beat this team, but it would limit GSW’s ability to rotate and play passing lanes, which they are incredible at.

You can still run a PnR offense, but you need a big who can switch on the perimeter defensively and use leverage/strength to finish inside on offense. How many of those guys exist though? Harrell is the first guy that comes to mind but he’s long gone.

Most critically, we need more smart offensive players who can make the right play when the defense is scrambling. That’s why Love and Butler are very intriguing options for this team. Love is a gifted passer, knows how to use his body to finish inside, and can shoot. Butler can attack a scrambling defense and put pressure on them by driving and drawing fouls.

The lob threat is a nice part of the offense but we can get that from a Noel or McGee at a fraction of the cost. Capela has a better feel offensively than these two, but I still don’t trust him to make the right reads in critical parts of the game

10. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

I don't need recent posts to know how you feel about Capela. No one does.

Your main point is we have to play five out (and I agree, in a dream scenario). Guess who would be out of the lineup for that to happen?

Instead of calling people stupid or deceitful, how about trying to understand the reason behind why people think you're a moron and disagree with 99% of what you say?

lnchan likes this.
  11. basketballholic

Talk about needing to get a life...... you spend your time here..... blasting me. LOL

No more responses since you want to discuss me instead of the team.

12. JayZ750

Right, well let me clarify then, cause that's a valid stat/point. Fast breaks obviously aren't ISO. I'm ignoring fast breaks. Rockets need more of those. Also, I get that ISO isn't the right word. Probably. I tried to look up the definition of ISO on nba.com and it wasn't in their glossary, which is interesting considering they break out plays by that. My guess is that a PnR isn't considered ISO. And technically... it's not.

So the %s I'm talking about are, in the halfcourt, running an actual involved play, versus and ISO or simple PnR scheme. These minor wing action things they do in an effort to get Harden coming around the top and the ball maybe switched on to someone else defending him... that's not a "play" in what I'm talking about.

Where we see this show its ugly little head the most is in OOB action. They have like 1 OOB play on the side (for some reason involving Harden as far in the backcourt as possible) and one OOB play under the basket. Neither are that complex, and usually they break down anyway, and the play ends up being just have Harden or Clint hold off their man and toss it up there.

The desire to not actually run any action is so pervasive on this team, they don't even really run OOB plays in an effort to create an open shot or action.

It's weird.

13. basketballholic

I'm for getting Jimmy or similar. But that's not enough. Have to have one legit big that can switch and shoot the 3.

14. JayZ750

Sadly, I come here to escape my life!!! Too many kids to feed.

I'm discussing you because your points are dumb. You have yet to show how anything about last nights Portland game points to ISO bad.
    I'm continuing to discuss you because you are then trying to call me out.

Make an effort.. respond to this question specifically. Regarding the Nurkic comments back and forth. You see how the below is dumb and shows serious signs of reading comprehension problems on your part, yes? How its the way a child would debate, yes?

Me: Nurkic is their second or third best player.
    You: Nurkic isn't their second best player, you're dumb for thinking so.
    Me: I said second OR third, and depending on the night that's true.
    You: You have no rebuttal.

This is my point.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I’m listening to the duncd on podcast and these guys are talking about how “Houston’s offense just has more stuff in it than Portland’s .”

Clutchfans would disagree lol

Houstunna likes this.
  16. Rockets4Life13

Al Horford would be amazing with Harden. That Pick&Pop would be so great. 5-out-ISO too.

To me it was quite obvious that we needed a center that can shoot the 3 and one more consistent iso player.

Their help defense was just too good on every drive.

good post op

RyanB likes this.
  17. RyanB

RyanB Member

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The out of bounds play thing is interesting. I could be completely wrong and misremembering but I thought in Mikes first year we successfully ran a variety of out of bounds stuff, buts its dried up the last 2 seasons.

I think there may have been an article talking about the most successful out of bounds play callers during that year.

HP3 likes this.
  19. JayZ750

My memory is you're right. I recall being happy that it was an improvement over McFail

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

This escalated quickly.