1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Tilman Fertitta determined to do "whatever it takes" to improve Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 17, 2019.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i like what he's saying.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It isn't all lip service. He is being critical of his team. He's indirectly calling them soft. He's clearly miffed about the OKC loss(just like all the fans were). And he was less than satisfied with the outcome of Game 6. You don't often hear the owner saying that his team got their asses kicked.

Richie_Rich, lw17, Houstunna and 12 others like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

“I want us to be tough,” Fertitta said. “I never want to be soft. I don’t like soft ownership and I don’t like soft teams. That’s not my culture. I do want my players scrambling for a loose ball. I’ll set a hard pick in business. I’ll scramble on the floor for a ball in business. I expect them to do it on the court. I’m not saying they don’t. I have a very hard-playing team. But we’re never going to be soft.

Tilman: "Give me Jimmy Butler right now!"

Richie_Rich, lw17, Houstunna and 5 others like this.
  4. smp

smp Member

Interesting interview. I like what he says anyway. He definitely seems more invested in winning than Les Alexander. He also said he doesn't like soft players- see ya Clint. Hope you enjoy your new team...

Richie_Rich, lw17 and Duke Fan like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Upgrading his roster will be a challenge, but Fertitta called James Harden “a bull,” citing his work ethic and determination to play through injuries; said Chris Paul’s “savvy and intelligence” are overlooked; and said he would like to sign Eric Gordon to a long-term extension.

Tilman doesn't like soft players. Tilman talks about wanting to extend Eric Gordon......so yeah.....Clint you are on notice.

Richie_Rich, lilbird20, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  6. jboslett

jboslett Member

I didn't mind the interview, BS aside on the luxury tax avoidance.

I also don't get the dooms day mentality regarding next year. I don't see a huge decline incoming for CP3, and I see some small opportunities to reshape our roster to better handle GS. Specifically, less allocation of resources towards an unplayable center against GSW (Capela). He's clearly not as important as we thought (Holic was right).

smp and Patience like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Asked if he believed D’Antoni is a championship coach, Fertitta said 'We don’t know. We don’t know if I’m a championship owner.'"

that's just a fantastic quote and a great response. Tilman just went up several notches in my book.

joshuaao, Richie_Rich, lw17 and 10 others like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

So much for Mike , Dan or Tony being on the hotseat …..

J.R. and cheke64 like this.
  9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

*as long as they dont go into the tax

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don't care about the plane, or the food in the media area.

Are you going to spend millions to buy draft picks this Summer?

Are you will to take back a ton of salary to move players to upgrade the team?

Are you willing to pledge to NOT give up first rounders again for cost cutting?

Stop talking about stupid crap like Mark Cuban does about how luxurious the team amenities are, and show us with the INVESTMENT you make into your roster & asset management. Aging team with ZERO first rounders in this upcoming draft. Gary Clark and Vince Edwards are likely to be 2nd and 3rd on the depth chart this Summer as wing defenders.... Gary Clark...

FAIL. You get a giant F in my book.

Make the team better, and acquire assets to upgrade the talent, and then you can brag about caviar on the 767. Caviar that is probably overly salted like every piece of food at one of his overpriced theme park restaurants.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How?

You have 10 players under contract. Five of them are Gary Clark , Hartenstein , Chiozza , Michael Fraizer , and Nene.

The other 5 are the current starters - Harden , CP3 , EG , Capela & Tucker.

You have GG , Shumpert , Rivers , Faried and House all hitting free agency.

You have full bird rights on Shumpert but its not likely you keep him at all , much less at anything approaching the $11m he made this year (unless its a two year deal with the second being a team option to create an expiring)

You have Early Bird rights on GG …. but are you really gonna pay that guy $9.6m ? (Maybe you have him sign a one plus a team option to create an expiring)

Rivers and Faried you can offer 120% of last years salary …. or use the MLE.

House … who knows what his value is. His minimum is $1.676m. Anything above that and you probably cant keep him.

You are probably limited to the T-MLE and no BAE as the use of the full MLE or BAE hard caps you …. and they are really close to that as it is.

This is gonna be another offseason of fishing for bargains at the minimum and hoping someone useful gets bought out …. and really you cant expect to pick up players who contributed as much as Rivers / Faried did as buyouts , its just not a realistic expectation.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Tilman: "I had no idea we had ducked under the tax. It was a total fluke that I got rid of decent players who might have helped us out. Dan Tony doesn't play them anyway. Absolutely had no idea. I said, 'Spend spend spend'!!!!'

mastan likes this.
  13. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I’ve got no problem with anything he’s saying here. Obviously, the proof’s in the pudding, but I like that he is both complementary of the guys that have been good for the team, but not complacent about making improvements where we’re lacking.

Lol at the idea he is just not willing to pony up enough money for guys like KD and KL, as if there’s no such thing as a salary cap. You dont think he would give the max to those guys? Gimme a break. He wasn’t willing to go into the tax this year to pay Brandon Knight and Marquesse Chriss and he had to give up a (low) pick to get out of that. That’s a different story, and the guy we got back, Shumpert, actually was a rotation player in the playoffs.

Duke Fan likes this.
  14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yes, that is a great quote.

smp likes this.
  15. ballgame

ballgame Member

I don't mine paying more. I just want to see who to see WHO they are going to target in Free Agency. I've never been confident in Morey with team building, he goes after names, no matter the fit or not, as long as it's a BIG NAME! Morey loves short players; Aaron Brooks, Luther Head, Carl Landry, Joey Dorsey, on and on and on.....

I've said all along, we need players with length, we need size! You can't start 6'0, 6'4, 6'5 and 6'6 players and expect to beat GS. You need a 6'10" PF that can rebound and score, Capela needs help inside. You need a 6'8" SF that can run the court and play defense. PJ hustles like a MOTHER but I think he's better served in a bench role.

I LOVE Tillman as an owner but Morey has been here over 15yrs and has yet to get a Championship Roster. So his yr, before I purchase tickets, I'm going to wait and see

Oh! And watch and see a team with length and one star player, Milwaukee Bucks, beat GS!

#35 ballgame, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    cheke64 likes this.
  16. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

You should care about the plane. Free agents care about the plane.

persian hoopa and Duke Fan like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

was there really ever any chance tilman was going to eat the last year on MDA's contract?

Gray_Jay, Little Bit and Corrosion like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He won't because there is no money to spend (actually around 500K I think but likely not enough to buy a late 2nd rounder).

All of the available money was used to grease the wheels to trade off Nanu, MCW and Melo to get them off the books.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Was there ever a chance that Butler was gonna be a Rocket next year ?

mastan likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

imo nada