1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He now has more XBH than Ks.

By my count he now is behind Yelich by 1 HR, but otherwise leads pro baseball in triple crown categories - and AAA starts a week or so after MLB. That’s absurd.

Also cool, the Astros have the league leaders in RBIs in the AL, AAA, AA, and A right now.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep and on or around June 1 they gain that extra year of control. Not sure when the season officially started. Astros start date or the start date for that early Japanese series between the Mariners and the As. Thus I used the phrase week or so.

3. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

The major league playing season is 187 days long. The team gains an extra year of control when the player does not make the 25 man roster for 172 days. That means 16 days after the season began (so no later than March 28th for the Astros). That means the team already gained the extra year of control about a month ago, not on/around June 1st.

#1023 Astrofan59, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

All the home runs are impressive but this is almost more exciting to me...

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both the homeruns last night were opposite field jobs, and it seems he's had a number of others like that (or dead center works of art).

He doesn't strike me as overly pull happy.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. cdain3

cdain3 Member

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Woodpeckers interviewed Seth Beer... one last time

Marteen and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s a pretty impressive stat. I wonder how many guys have ever hit 17 HR in the first 39 games of the AAA season.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. prospecthugger

Somewhat notably as part of these promotions, Jose Bravo goes to the one affiliate he's yet to pitch for, and with him starting for quad cities tonight, he might actually stay there for a bit.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. prospecthugger

Might explain some of Nivaldo's control struggles:

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Cool story, bro

Met a guy in Seattle last weekend who claimed being Jayson Schroder's high school friend. Works at Twin Peaks. Cool hippy-type guy. Said Jayson completely dominated in HS and he must have to be drafted 2nd round. I was repping my Astros hat so that's how the conversation began. Extra cool if Jayson helps us win.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Luhnow has a different opinion.

Astrofan59 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

The majority of his HRs I think have been to the opposite field this year but that doesn't necessarily mean he's able to beat the shift. Ryan Howard comes to mind...he had great opposite field power but teams were still able to shift on him because he couldn't hit the ball on the ground to the opposite field.

This to me shows he has outstanding bat to ball skills and it's not a fluke he's hitting for such a good average.

14. Buck Turgidson

Point of order: they don't get another year of control (that's already happened), they get to avoid a 4th year of arbitration, which if he succeeds at the mlb level would be somewhere in the 8 figures. Or theoretically, say, a million for every game he's missing.

On the Super 2 thing: it depends on when other rookies are called up. I'm 100% sure that the Stros have a continually updated database of the situation and have a very solid idea of when it's safe to bring him up. Shouldn't be long now.

ETA: if you take the latest Super 2 cutoff in the last 10 years, 64 days, you get a callup date of.....May 31

@bobrek: the season officially starts on Opening Day. The international series does not count.

He is absolutely not a pull happy grip and rip slugger. Going back to ST and before he's worked on hitting the ball the other way when appropriate and he has massive oppo power and hard contact skills to LF.

#1034 Buck Turgidson, May 17, 2019
    mikol13, Snake Diggit and Htown Stros like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Last night he scored from 2nd on a fly ball to the RF. He was tagging after a double (to LF), RF was loafing on the return throw, he looked back and saw it, put it in gear, and was safe by a mile. Faster than he looks. Made a nice play in LCF, beating Fisher (CF) to the ball.

#1035 Buck Turgidson, May 17, 2019
  16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

In non-Yordan news, Jacob Meyers, who Snake is pretty high on, went 3-5 with a triple and a three-run homer (4) for Fayetteville last night.

Meyers, a 13th-round pick out of Nebraska in 2017, is now slashing .281/.349/.467 on the season. Could be a useful 4th OF down the road...

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Thanks. You explained that much better than I did.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

RHP Brendan Feldmann was released yesterday. An undrafted free agent signee, he’d put up some solid numbers but was moved around a bunch and never really made much noise.

19. Buck Turgidson

That is a cool story, bro. Did he already know that Schroeder was drafted and signed with the Stros?

I played with one top draft pick, guy was ludicrously good. My HS coach coached 2 1st round pitchers after that. Can't imagine how good those guys were.

#1039 Buck Turgidson, May 17, 2019
    Houstunna likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Well, I'm younger than you are. We can't all retire to Florida.

#1040 Buck Turgidson, May 17, 2019