1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. malakas

malakas Member

if MDA was to get fired shouldn't he be fired by now? Teams try to put new coaches in charge before the draft and FA so they can have input and the new acquisitions fit with their system.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

to me it has become kd's team. I don't think he's going to leave because of this not feeling its not his team. The warriors clearly play mostly through him when hes on the floor. I actually think he's going to leave because it's gotten a bit boring per say. And that's partly his fault for going there in the first place. he went there to win titles. hes about to get another. whats left to prove and keep staying motivated and fresh for, when they walk through all the competition.

Harden would become #2 if KD ever came here instantly. it might be his team in the essence that he's been here the longest but his talent alone would become the face of what likely would be a rockets title or best chance. Same logic applies to Lebron. We've all noticed how harden didn't really recruit Lebron because it would pretty much be his team if he ever put on a rockets jersey. There's only a handful of those guys and those are 2 of them

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah this is where im at and butler isn't in the category of the true elite. good player but doesn't have the ceiling of an mvp

Vivi likes this.
  4. onreego

onreego Member

I think that the team became KDs team in the sense of who is carrying that team and who's the goto guy. But from a fanbase, I don't think Warriors fans will ever love him like they love Curry or the Splash Brothers. That's probably where KD would get the feeling of it not being his team if he did, in fact, feel that way.

KD going to New York would make too much sense if he's really trying to shadow LeBron from a career and business aspect.

malakas likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

He's the opposite of what we need. We don't need drama. We need heart.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Proposed *3-Team* Jimmy Butler trade *with the assumption he tells Philly to trade him to Houston for a trade package of assets or else he will walk and they get nothing for him.*

HOUSTON
    IN - Butler, Spellman
    OUT - Capela, Nene
    WHY: Re-allocate Capela’s salary into a star player in Jimmy Butler. Omari Spellman is a cheap, young range shooting 4/5 that would fit in well off the bench (Rockets get Spellman in a 2nd/follow-up trade using a Trade Exception). Follow up this trade this summer and use MLE on DAJ to be your starting center against most NBA teams. Can flex to Tuckwagon lineup vs GSW etc. Rockets keep Eric Gordon in this scenario but he still is a valuable asset if they need to make another move. Rockets DO NOT give up ANY 1st round picks here. More moves below.

ATLANTA
    IN - Capela, Nene, Simmons
    OUT - Bazemore, Prince, Spellman
    WHY: Bazemore and his salary are not in their plans. They wanted to move on from Prince. They get Capela to mesh with Trae Young as a PNR big and play alongside John Collins. He fits the team timeline and is under a good contract. This is Atlanta’s big summer move (instead of FA) and they can focus on the draft and their 2 top 10 picks.

PHILLY
    IN - Bazemore, Prince
    OUT - Butler, Simmons
    WHY: Philly did NOT give up a 1st to get Butler. They do NOT get a 1st in trading him away. BUT, they get 2 players that are versatile that fit their system and can shoot. Prince is still young and is the replacement for Covington that they lost. Bazemore gives them some bench depth that is needed. And they give up Simmons as a salary dump since he didn’t work out.

ROCKETS
    PG: CP3 / Rivers / Chiozza
    SG: Harden / Gordon / Frazier
    SF: Butler / Shumpert / Green
    PF: Tucker / House / Clark
    C: Jordan / Spellman / Hartenstein

-Rockets offer MLE to DeAndre Jordan to be the team’s starting center in his hometown.
    -Rockets can offer a 4yr 8.6M deal to House. That is the most they can offer and NOT use the MLE. I think this is a real possibility.
    -Rockets can see if Rivers would come back for the Vet Min. If he does, they get *early bird rights* on him next season to pay him more. He liked it here, his role, so maybe he would be willing.
    -Rockets can sign Gerald Green for the Vet Min. He is fine for regular season bench depth, but not playoff depth.
    -Rockets could offer (with bird rights) Shumpert something like a 2 year 12M deal. With the 2nd year a *team option.* He gets paid above T-MLE line, and is *tradable salary* after December 12th for aggregation. Having tradable salary on the books is important for flexibility.

This lineup gives you at least *7* playoff guys you can count on (CP3, JH, JB, PJ, DAJ, AR, EG). We will see how House/Clark develop (MDA needs to be vigilant next season and develop them). Maybe Shumpert gets moved for a better player and/or a buyout player emerges. Key for the Rockets is getting to *8* playoff guys.

DJ has fallen off. But not fallen off a cliff. I think SOME of his fall off is due to him *not giving a damn* over the last 2 years. He will be motivated in Houston. He will be 31 (Harden & Butler will each be 30). He can give the team just about everything Capela brought them. He is durable, more physical and more of a paint presence. And hey, DJ can shoot FTs now! Notable! At the same time, you ADD Butler and everything he brings to the table. Maybe a small downgrade from Capela to DJ but a massive upgrade with the addition of Butler. Rockets can’t wait on Capela and any growth he may achieve. The time is now.

In 2017 Morey has an awesome summer.
    1-Chris Paul traded to the Rockets.
    2-PJ Tucker signed with the MLE.
    3-Luc Mbah Moute signed with Vet Min.

That is the kind of summer the Rockets need in 2019. Hit on the trade(s), MLE, Vet Min signings.
    Jimmy Butler and DeAndre Jordan fit that bill. And then we see who might be out there with Vet Mins like re-signing Austin Rivers. Maybe take a look back at Luc?

BaselineFade, Nook, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  7. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Love it.

Deuce likes this.
  8. basketballholic

They would take those guys and picks if they had to rather than KD walking on them.

9. cyberx

cyberx Member

Not that I have heard of..

10. basketballholic

Rework this deal without Simmons and you might have something.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No. Please no. Don't do this again.

Nook, J Sizzle and The Cat like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Simmons doesn't have to be included. I as just trying to give Philly more value. It works without him.

13. basketballholic

After watching this last series it is bru obvious to me that KD is going to struggle as an alpha. He simply does not have the same court vision as Harden, Lebron, and he can always create his own shot but many of the step back 3's that James creates, KD takes the possession into midrange 2's. He's just not good enough on the ball as the alpha and that issue will only become more exasperating as he ages.

KD is one of the greatest ball scorers ever. But he needs a point guard to feed him the ball.

saleem and Vivi like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Probably why there is smoke to KD + Kyrie to the Knicks.

15. basketballholic

I'm not saying it's going to happen. But to pretend the Warriors would prefer him to walk...... is plain dumb. They can use the assets to re- shape their team.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed, and i don't like a pairing of him and Irving, don't think that's gonna work for the Knicks if that's all they plan to do.

HP3 and malakas like this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't know if it will work or not. But I do know that it is those 2 players playing in the East and that is fine by me.

Sanity2disChaos and Nook like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

@Deuce would love to steal Spellman, looked kinda similar to Richaun Holmes when he came into the league, but maybe more ready and with more range anyway.

Atlanta has been kinda unlucky with the lottery, their pick and the Mavs pick lost few position so, i wonder if they would be open to send out some players and use those picks to take younger/cheaper replacements since i don't think they can grab a top prospect. I wonder if there's a good center available in top 10 and specifically in the range of their picks, i don't follow the guys coming out of college much.

Also agree on DeAndre, he clearly had no interest in staying in Dallas, probably was just ok with that cause he was closer to home and made 20M, and with the Knicks well, horrible team tanking...

Nook likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fine for sure, just because of their talent they would be there, but i don't see them beat a team like the Bucks or even the Sixers if they put the right pieces around Embiid and Simmons. Same for some West teams.

While overall i still like Durant (he's that good), i agree with holic, and i just don't like Irving, i mean, he's obviously talented, but would never build around him, to me he's one of the most overrated players out there, if not the most overrated. And i actually think Ainge is dodging a bullet here, giving a max to him would not be a good move.

Nook likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I put Spellman in the deal hoping to snag him. As a stretch center he could be promising here. Hawks might be willing to move him since they have other 1st round picks coming in.

I think with Capela, the HAWKS are the best land spot. Value contract, and fits on their timeline. Hawks missed out on Zion, but could get Capela via this trade and STILL have their two top 10 picks to take best available player.

joshuaao, Nook and Vivi like this.