1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you sign Kimbrel or Keuchel for 1 year 15mil?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Mar 8, 2019.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Keuchel would be in addition to Miley. It is McHugh/Peacock vs. Keuchel.

Don't need him, but still love to have him back. Personally I'm rooting for him, just hope he doesn't sign in the AL is it isn't is.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Rather add someone better at the deadline

mikol13 likes this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m still of the opinion that we wait until closer to the trade deadline to spend the money we may need to spend. Right now we don’t have an obvious hole but injuries or play could open one up down the line. Sure Keuchel may not be available, but we also may not need a starter.

4. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

If the only measure you looked at was ERA, then you would be correct that Miley gives you about what Keuchel does. Fortunately, we have more data available, which tells a slightly different story. Regardless, I would still not sign Keuchel to a longer term contract, not in today's financial environment. I also would prefer to see what some of the youngsters like Martin can do.

5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we will still need one more SP personally but agree with everything you stated.

BigM likes this.
  6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Agreed a SP and a RP to pitch the 7th too imo. I’m probably being greedy, though.

That said, I see no reason to rush at this point. The team is playing well and who knows who will become available as teams start to fall out of contention.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

When I look at contact data(xwOBA), it suggests the same story that ERA tells. So while I'm not a big fan of ERA for samples less than 600 innings, there is data that suggests Miley is a good pitcher that has the tools to succeed even without a high K rate.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

They had a good podcast on the Athletic about Keuchel and why he's not signed yet. Besides his ego and the money, all teams have huge analytical depts now and they see all hitters using the launch angle more and more and having success against sinker ball pitchers, not against mid to high fastball pitchers. Most see him as a 4-5 starter in today's game and would rather use someone from within their organization than strapping themselves with a massive 1-2 contract for an average pitcher. The Braves were close to signing him, but decided to bring up Freid and Soroka instead. Both have had fantastic starts to the season, so great decision by them.

mikol13 likes this.
  9. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Keuchel is garbage... much rather trade for mad bum and bring up Forest

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

You know Forrest has been garbage this year right?

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

LA revolution hurts the sinker. 2019 version of the juiced ball is hurting the 4 seam fastball (high fastball). This looks to be the year with the fewest 4S fastballs thrown recently, but will likely see homers off 4S fastballs increase by about 15% from last year. I'm not sure sinker ball throwers should be penalized right now. I'm guessing a lot of analytical teams are incredibly happy right now as change favors the teams willing to adapt. Not sure how teams will adapt. Teams that have locked in rosters, even if analytically inclined, may not be happy if juiced ball hurts them.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why is Keuchel ‘garbage’?

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For those advocating bringing Keuchel back to the Stros, I think the same logic applies. We thought Whitley would be the guy that we could bring up and help replace innings. Maybe Martin is that guy instead. In any case, big money for what Keuchel brings doesn't make too much sense unless your a playoff bound team that has incurred a injury to a significant starter who is lost for the year. Even in this case, maybe such a team would be better trading for a starter instead.

As we saw in the off-season in general, there are always teams that will pay big for top talent. Keuchel's problem is that he views himself as a top talent where as the rest of the league does not.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It has gotta be that 2.6 WAR he posted last year. Complete garbage. Even I, a broken down old ass man, can post a 50+ WAR.

#94 No Worries, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  15. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Did you watch him pitch the last two years? He lives on his command, we all know his stuff is Average at best...there is a reason a "cy young" winner is unemployed...

16. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Rather let Brent work with him in the Majors, being able to learn from champions....seeing Corbin up pitching lights out should light a fire under our number 1 prospect..

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Let's see...last year he was in the top 30 (among pitchers) in the AL in WAR. Yep, garbage. He is unemployed because he has over valued himself.

Cold Hard and No Worries like this.
  18. CinematicFusion

Would you trade for Madison Bumgarner if he signed a 3 year extension with us for 15 million a season. I don't think he would be worth 20, and I wouldn't give him more then a 3 year extention. Guy is going to be 30 in August, so you would have him till he turns 33.
    He is still a solid pitcher but looks to be in some decline. Maybe its because he is pitching for a last place team.
    If we lose Cole next year, we need another starting pitcher to take his place.
    Whitley might not be ready for another year and we don't know how McCullers will respond to the surgery.

But for this year. Verlander, Cole, Bumgarner, Martin could be a solid rotation for the playoffs.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No. If Bumgarner wants an extension as part of the trade, then no trade.

If Bumgarner comes in and pitches the Astros to a World Series championship, then we can talk extension though his open market value at that point will likely be more than Luhnow is willing to pay.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What's up with Evan Gattis as well? He had a bad year but still had 25 HR's with a .736 OPS. Not that I want the Astros to get him, but it seems like someone would pick him up.