1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The more she got closer to the throne, the more she realized nobody loved her.

Add to that there is now a legit threat to her throne.

As she said, the only way she gets the people's support is via fear.... all that, and she's got madness in her, led to these decisions.

Some wanted a few more episodes to have it explained to them... so be it.

2. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Again, hitting your boiling point and breaking isn't inconsistent with anyone's character. For her to fly her dragon to the red keep and call out to Cersei and challenge her to a thumb wrestle would be out of character. But to be pushed to the breaking point and losing everyone and everything and snapping - that's believable. Yes, even killing innocents is believable. I'd argue that she's no longer even sane. That's why she's a "mad" queen. Cuz when you're mad, you want to burn them all.

3. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

I actually think it was the opposite

Instead of showing the scorpions injuring Drogon and Cersei's forces putting up a fight (which would be completely consistent with the previous episode) or else have some good explanation as to why Drogon is so overpowered all of a sudden, the writers in fact took the easy way out and just made it an easy victory, thus invalidating several seasons of plot.

If one Dany plus one dragon could do this, then Dany could have just attacked and conquered KL years ago.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If she was this hopeless and scorned years ago, she may have.

Either you believe she tried to be benevolent and through organic causes, it failed... or you believe she was always mad and was just giving lip service (which in that case, yes, she could have done this awhile ago).

Eric Riley likes this.
  5. mario_v

mario_v Member

GRENDEL and Eric Riley like this.
  6. Eric Riley

Disagree. Dany from years ago still had love, and thus, her sanity. Normal Dany gave second chances and made mistakes. Only Mad Queen Dany could have done what she did yesterday.

cebu likes this.
  7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Looks like I stand corrected.

Euron didnt get killed by a one handed man after all.

Jamie was faking the one hand thing the entire time (the real plot twist living up to Games of Throne!)

[​IMG]

tinman and cebu like this.
  8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I first started concluding that Daeny was naturally bloodthirsty when she didn't look away when brother got crowned by the Dothraki. Jorah told her to look away, and she said F that I wanna see. Not to mention that she was basically brought up by those savages as well.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Wrong.

They are dead now.

10. Eric Riley

I think part of the anger from fans also comes from the lack of a happy ending to Dany's arc. As much as I liked the last episode with her going batshit crazy, I'd have written it differently. I'd have Dany hear the bells, with the camera zooming in her face. We hear her internal thoughts, which is just a replay of previously said dialogue that hints at her snapping. About being a dragon. About fire and blood. But then Jon comes into the scene and implores her not to go berserk. She finally comes to and relents, and the good guys are victorious. Dany realizes that if she continues to seek the throne that her madness will truly come out, like her father's. She gives up her quest for the throne, as does Jon. And then Tyrion is made King.

But I appreciate the route they took.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

As I've said before, there was foreshadowing going both ways. For the most part, she's been pretty fair and justified to her enemies while considerate of innocents. But bells ringing causing her to snap is stupid. There are better ways to make Dany decide to burn Kings Landing to the ground, like the citizens recognizing Jon as the heir over Dany.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guarantee you this would not have been well received.

The overwhelming consensus is that people wanted to see dragons do what they did, and wanted to see her lose it... but they weren't happy how they eventually got there, having skipped over some of the opportunities to showcase the descent.

fallenphoenix, mikol13 and cebu like this.
  13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I wanted to like this so bad....visually it was appealing. Feels like the best imitation of what game of thrones used to be.

No doubt the complexities of the source material have run out. I expect if that old b*stard ever finishes the book it will be different than what we just saw. Mad queen wasn’t a shock. 1 dragon blowing up the whole city with impunity was a farce. Hound and mountain was ok. I dont know.....that they’ve seemingly held back on the story for what seems like 10 episodes or so, to get to the end where the payoffs become mandatory and they’re kinda forced at that...like how is it possible they wrap up the starks arcs in one more episode? They’re all gonna kill Danny? Bran gonna warg the dragon into a pit, Arya and Jon stab her while Sansa stares coldly?

Killing Varys...cersei’s Death completely unsatisfying.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Unsatisfying how ?

Part of the series has all been about leaving readers pissed off. Red wedding being the prime example.

As far as the dragon. We've really never seen her go apes **** before. Even when she was conquering in essos, the show always portrayed it as calm and measured. Here she went full on psycho and was razing "innocents"

As far as it being rushed ... yes. But what can we do but accept the end as it comes. Perhaps upon re-watch of the series the time distortion won't be such a big issue

Personally I enjoyed the carnage ... as visually it was freaking awesome to see destruction like that.

Harrisment likes this.
  15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

For those wondering about Daeny's quick heel turn...

This quote from the Vulture recap is helpful:

She's always been a little temperamental and kept in check by advisors.

GRENDEL, mikol13 and daywalker02 like this.
  16. TheresTheDagger

Jon is also a Targaryen. The Dragon would accept him.

mikol13 likes this.
  17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

At this point Jon is the only one that hasn't crossed that morale line... Its not like all of the northern forces were disappointed at what Daeny did, in fact it brought the same rage out of them.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My guess

Drago overstuffs himself from the AYCE BBQ buffet. Makes the seven realms stink that night from his farts.

John Snow lights a match and blows everyone up.

Lord of Light laughs in the background.

The End?

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I dont think so... Maybe if it was Rhaegal but Drogan is bonded with Daeny. If they piss on that relationship the same way they pissed on Jon and Ghosts relationship the show will have really missed the mark on what these animals mean to the story.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member