1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can harden work on this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, May 13, 2019.

1. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

maybe hypnosis. How to overcome 4 All Stars in the Golden State Warriors without Capela being outmatched

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

100% correct. It's either this or like @REEKO_HTOWN said get another star

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Moving around. You can't beat a great defensive team with an offense that relies on so little movement, and where you constantly have good defenders in the corners all while you're shooting lots of threes which lead to transition buckets for the other team.

The Rockets ORtg went from 116.25 (2nd) in regular season to 110.9 (7th in playoffs).

Last year their playoff ORtg of 109.6 was 6th, down from 115.48 in the RS (1st).

In 2017, their Ortg was 115.59 in the RS (2nd), but 110.7 in the playoffs (7th).

It's insane that people can't see this. He adds moves every year. Heck, we added CP3 one year. ONCE we hit great defensive teams and coaches, they shut this **** down. Maybe we get them a game or two (Spurs game 1 blowout, I think we had a blowout against GSW one game last year), but on the whole IT DOESN'T WORK.

Being better at defense.

Turning the ball over 25% less.

GermanRoxFan likes this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

I hope he works on getting D’Antoni out of town. Nothing the Rockets do will matter until this happens.

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

paying for clint's female-to-male transition. demanding paul to give his remaining salary to kawhi under the table. tell tillman to go 100+m over the cap to make up for last offseason.

amaru likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

it amazing how people think this is some key to solving all of houston's issues. and not knowing what's coming in at that.

mda isn't the perfect coach but putting out some viable replacements would certainly help

GermanRoxFan likes this.
  7. likestohypeguy

Mid range pull up, turnaround fadeaway, step back, something.

A little butt stuff.

8. amaru

amaru Member

Quote the post in which I said firing Mike D’Antoni would solve ALL of Houston’s issues. Feel free to search my posting history and take your time. :)

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Mid-range

But you guys know whatever he comes up with, it's gonna surprise all of us

10. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Mental toughness.

11. JayZ750

I don't like MDA's inability to make playoff adjustments.

That said, this is Harden's ship. His team.

What do you view as more likely:
    (1) A new coach that changes up the system and makes the right adjustments in the playoffs
    or
    (2) The Rockets offense without Harden but still with MDA looking completely different and more like MDA of old. Still guard heavy and PnR, but back to higher pace and much more increased ball movement

To me, the answer is clearly #2. Coaching change. Adding Jimmy B. Or Any other 1b or 1c or 2a type player. None of that will impact the system. We will still run ISO ISO ISO, and our ORtg in the playoffs will still drop like a rock. With 4 all-star level players, including Jimmy B., the Sixers got shut down offensively down the stretch of a tight game.

That said, if you're stuck with it, to the extent you can have a coach better at making playoff adjustments, than go for it.

It's incomprehensible to me that, for example, KD goes down, and we see basically ZERO hard traps.

12. amaru

amaru Member

That’s the main issue for me. Mike has shown he can’t make adjustments and have ZERO sense for the ebbs and flows within the game. Taking Paul out of the game with 4 minutes left mad ZERO sense. Not trapping after Durant went down made ZERO sense. Not playing Shumpert extensively in the 4th made ZERO sense. Faried not playing a single minute made ZERO sense. Championship teams don’t win with stupid coaches.

seemoreroyals and Hmc415 like this.
  13. JayZ750

Can't find fault in any of this.

It will be VERY strange if there is no "scape-goat" from this mess, but that is also the most likely scenario.

Hypothetically, who would you hire to replace him, though?

14. amaru

amaru Member

Honestly just about any coach lol.

But seriously, Mark Jackson and JVG come to mind. Vogel would have been nice but....

15. dmoneybangbang

Shot selection. Take a mother ****ing mid range shot instead of trying to hit floaters over Gobert, Draymond, and Looney.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

it was meant as a general post.

17. JayZ750

I'm reluctant to be all gung-ho about coaches who have had their own struggles.

Jackson led a very similar GSW team - albeit without Draymond in the starting lineup - and had a middle of the road offense that was near last in passes per possession.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean what has any of those guys done to warrant the assumption that they'll be better? jvg is probably my choice out of those but not sure he's even an option anymore

19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Overcoming 6 All Stars, would've been 6 if all healthy

Curry
    Thompson
    Durant
    Green
    Cousins
    Iguodala

Corrosion likes this.
  20. amaru

amaru Member

Neither one of them have losing records in the playoffs stretching back over a decade. Honestly, who knows if they will be better. But we do know what we are getting out of Mike and that's poor player rotations (at one point only playing 6 players in a WCF game), little to no timeout usage and little to no in-game adjustments. At this point, Mike appears to be a more expensive Kevin McHale.