1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Deferred money is not a bad thing for a team generally. I personally would have no problem receiving a $100 million interest free loan.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

For what it’s worth...

On Saturday, Ken Rosenthal tweeted that Bumgarner had submitted a list of eight teams he can block a trade to: Braves, Red Sox, Cubs, Astros, Brewers, Yankees, Phillies and Cardinals.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Yup all so he can extract extra benefits before agreeing to a trade.

desihooper likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Is he great again? I don't watch much NL these days.

Nook likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its pretty freakin smart of him to do that.

Ultimately, those are the main teams that should be in contention looking to trade for him, and the Giants know they'll have to give him more to agree to it.

Plenty of times, the no-trade pacts include teams that are just bad and would actually never ever trade for a high priced player.

Nook likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s totally possible this is a good thing for the Astros. If all Bumgarner cares about is winning, he may just say something like “I won’t waive it for any of the teams on my list except Houston, and I want $1M trade bonus to waive it for them.” The Astros are the strongest team in the league right now with the best chance of making the playoffs. That may make it the most desirable location for MadBum.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Isn't MadBum kind of a d**k? Specifically, hasn't he shown a problem with Latino players that openly celebrate?

I tend to believe that anyone would fit in with our clubhouse, but I don't know about this guy.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know if his problem is with Latinos or just Dodgers and former Dodgers. He's called out Puig.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He gave up a home run to Yasiel Puig and reacted in classic Bumgarner fashion after the game: "He's a quick study. It only took him seven years to learn how to hit that pitch."
    Link

MadMax likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I agree it is smart of him.

I also like that he left the Dodgers off the list because he knew hell would freeze over before the Giants moved him to the Dodgers.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure fitting into the clubhouse matters as much for starting pitchers (and really not as much of an issue on baseball teams for anybody).

Yes, you don't want some racist imbecile anywhere close to teammates on an everyday basis... but starting pitchers tend to keep to themselves (or other starting pitchers), and are usually isolating themselves on gameday anyways.

eric.81 likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Great?

I haven't seen it.

He has bounced back. His strikeouts are up but teams are making more contact against him than in the past.

He obviously has some value, he would likely be the game 3 starter for the Astros and maybe a game 2 starter for other playoff teams.
    However I question how much value a rental, that is good but no longer great has, especially when he will extract more from teams to waive his no trade clause. He also does not strike me as the type of guy to give any benefit to signing an extension before becoming a free agent. He signed a long term deal with the Giants for security, but I am sure at this point he is looking for a big pay day.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I have mostly just heard that he is an opinionated hard ass but no issues with his teammates. The pitchers self segregate anyway so it probably wouldn't be an issue. Remember Verlander was respected by his teammates in the past, but he had the reputation of being a hard ass too.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I thought about Verlander and even McCann after I posted the above. Those are two guys that conventional wisdom tells you would bristle at our core's exuberance. Both were/are model teammates and everyone obviously ("literally") loves them.

Not a MadBum fan at all... but "old" MadBum would make our pitching staff unhittable. We'd obviously be counting on a winning atmosphere and change-of-scenery sparking a renaissance because his numbers over the last 3 seasons look extremely meh...

15. Buck Turgidson

Interesting pitching matchup tonight that's pertinent to this thread. I want to see if Peacock can sustain success as a starter with his switch to the windup, and I want to watch Boyd to see what some of yall are all excited about as a potential addition. He's seemed extremely 'meh' to me in past seasons, but I know he's pitching quite well this year.

16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Let's hope you come away with a negative impression

17. Buck Turgidson

Heh. From what I've read out of Detroit the only big change is that, starting in the 2nd half last year, he stopped being totally in love with his slider and started establishing the fastball more and then pitching off of that.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

That's pretty accurate. I'm not someone who would be excited about adding him

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So what was the Harper trade last year? Let's try that for Rendon (for 1B/DH) plus throw in White and Kemp. Opens up a spot for Alvarez.

Springer
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Brantley
    Rendon
    Correa
    Alvarez
    Chirinos
    Reddick/Marisnick/Gurriel/Diaz

#79 Joe Joe, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
  20. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

Reddick and Marisnick are earning more playing time with outstanding play. This may be more of an “on paper” upgrade than a real one. Even Gurriel and Diaz have been heating up.

With both Alvarez and Tucker in the fold, I’m guessing we eventually flip White and/or Kemp for milb pieces or cash. We likely DFA White in the next 2 weeks if hitting doesn’t improve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.