1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 should be the first domino we trade this offseason...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, May 12, 2019.

1. Why not?

Why not? Member

I like the deal, but I don't think the Cavs would do it. I love CP3 but I think he's given us his best for these last 2 title shots and it hasn't been enough. It would really suck to lose those 2 firsts in this scenario, but CP3 won't net us ANYTHING of much positive note in return.

With that being said, I believe it would be worth losing those picks and taking on Tristan's contract because the only way to change our situation is rid ourselves of CP3's contract. We don't have many ways to drastically improve this roster without freeing up cap space. So basically if we don't do this, our best chance at a title was these first two years of CP3... and now we'll suffer through a middling team not able to beat the best in the west and flirting with the luxury tax every year.

I agree IT STARTS with moving CP3. The problem is there likely aren't too many teams that still covet what he offers at the cost. I was brainstorming about this last night. The couple of destinations I came up with are Orlando, Boston, and Utah (which would be an awkward trade partner anyway). Maybe the Magic would be interested in CP as an elite distributor to develop their young wings/bigs--I remember rumors about them wanting to move off Fournier too. They could still re-sign Vucevic and CP3 would be an excellent mentor to Fultz. I like the fit there. With Boston it's kind of similiar: too many young wings and the need for a point that can best utilize them. I feel like Kyrie and Rozier (this dude seems slighted) are gone this year and a swap for Gordon Hayward for CP3 straight up might be best for both teams. Utah... probably too unlikely, but Rubio is a free agent and nobody is looking to join the Jazz. CP3 would be the best point guard they've had in a while and he'd be locked up for 3 years (something only the Jazz might value as a positive).

Whatever deal we (might) make, we probably won't totally be in love with it because CP means more to us emotionally than what he's really worth these days talent-wise.

After we get off that albatross deal. We can hopefully recoup a little something positive for Capela--maybe a decent draft pick or two. Similar with the last scenario, a few teams might really value the length of Capela's contract and the fact that it's at a decent bargain considering his age and potential. We don't have time to wait on potential for a guy who doesn't really fit our system.

Clips/Roxfan likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To me Capela seems the most expendable and most likely to fetch something tasty in return.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Keep telling yourself that

4. jowman

jowman Member

What do u think we are gonna do with this team with a 35 year old Chris Paul, win the championship?

If y’all think hardens the playoff choker then why just trade him. Will actually get value back and if he chokes in playoffs it doesn’t matter for us anyways right?

5. jowman

jowman Member

He’ll get u something like gorgei dieng and some other scrubs bad contract. Capela sucks don’t know why other teams would want our trash

6. jowman

jowman Member

AD hasn’t been far in the playoffs. Better hold out for a clutch player who’s won like kawhi.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think Cleveland would do it

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Certainly better than anything you’re gonna get back

I mean if you’re not gonna get the likes of a kd or so then yeah go ahead and trade harden. That’s the only way you’re getting a ship here with this team. It’s not gonna happen but that’s unfortunately where this team is

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

McCollum over aging CP any day.

Little Bit likes this.
  10. jowman

jowman Member

I would trade capela and a pick for Kevin love. We win with love at the small ball c role this year. Capela was beyond useless.

Cp3/harden/Gordon/ tucker/love.

Then fire D’Antoni and hire Tyron Lue.

Hate all you want, Lue and love are winners and have a championship. Which is more than the rest of these guys can say besides shump lol.

11. HROZ

HROZ Member

I would do it for 1x1st and 4x2nds and CP3 for TT and JR

2 1STs is a lot.

But honestly don't see Cavs doing it. CP3 looks on the way down. As does everyone at this age.

LeBron went from the best player in the world to just a top 5
    Next year he'll be top 10 and the year after that probably top 25 and in the final year of his contract top 50

Last year CP3 was a top 10 player
    This year he's probably only a top 25 being generous.
    Next year top 50 if he's lucky and then probably a top 100 in the 2nd last year of his contract.
    And probably doesn't even make the rotation in his last year.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The NBA is playing checkers while Morey is playing dominoes.

Why not? likes this.
  13. Caprah

Caprah Member

How
    good was Paul this playoffs? Worst then harden while getting paid more....

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

How? Did you just start following this team last year. Youre welcome to see what this team has done with him being surrounded by what I referred to years before that