1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Shapiro and the BBC enjoy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, May 11, 2019.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

#destroyed

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

That older guy was a trip. I am surprised Ben hung in there as long as he did.

Dark Rhino likes this.
  7. IVFL

IVFL Member

That was funny to watch, but I do think it highlights a problem we have here in America. We don't ask the hard questions anymore. We go to the places that are going to agree with us or we go where they won't agree and look for a fight. Ben started to look for a fight once the interviewer challenged him in any way. He is used to being interviewed in America where conflict sells and not ideas of merit, or informative dialogue. If he knew the political leanings of this interviewer he would have expected to be glad-handed.

I am noticing this in political discussion, the moment someone feels threatened in their ideas one way or the other they begin to fight. If your ideas have merit you should feel confident in your positions and not threatened anytime someone disagrees with you. Some of my best political discussions have happened with people who disagreed with me yet were able to listen to my ideas and keep their cool. Unfortunately, it has been years since that has happened to me. The scary thing is, where does this all end / lead us to . . . . .?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ben getting angry about the discourse was hilarious given that his book was about the left being the angry side. That older guy totally undressed him and Ben had no where to go after being exposed so badly. I am surprised he hung in there so long to get spanked around that much. Figured he'd have kept his composure and bailed much sooner

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

You can have political leanings but still he was in full on attack mode the whole time. This guy doing the interview was in the mold of a Maury Povich/Jerry Springer and had no substance. Just attacking statements that Shapiro has already admitted that he wishes he never said.

If you want to see a good discussion on the issues look no further than Andrew Yang on the Shapiro show. This is how you host a show and discuss issues.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The interviewer was much more in the mold of Tim Russert. He would give the hard questions to anyone that came on Meet the Press. The fact is conservatives have created slanted attack media with Fox News and talk radio to the degree they believe anyone outside that bubble is simply a fringe liberal who can't be even handed.

#10 CometsWin, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Deckard, mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Not a (((Ben Shapiro))) fan.

dachuda86 likes this.
  12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I agree Fox News is like this, but it seems to me in the videos I've seen Shapiro only goes in attack mode when he gets attacked first. While I don't agree with Shapiro on several things I do enjoy the open discussions he can have with non-simpletons.

B-Bob and CometsWin like this.
  13. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

this was a civil discussion, but anyone that is familiar with Yang's policies knows that he purposefully sidestepped potentially controversial disagreements and did not really push Shapiro at all. Shapiro, being the host, also did not dig in that deep, he didn't want to go after Yang because he himself is having trouble getting candidates on his show.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Shapiro is more in favor of policies to support foreign powers over America. He is usually a good debater and has good arguments on occassion, but his war positions are unforgivable sins.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The opening salvo was essentially "why are you a bad person" it put him completely off balance, and it just snowballed from there, haha. Generally speaking, US people should be far better prepared for UK journalists than what he was, they are a special type, and not in a good way.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Let’s face it... Shapiro is famous for being a right wing Twitter person who gets a ton of “likes” and comments on his posts.

Kudos to him making himself wildly famous and likely rich due to his following but in the end there’s no substance behind his credibility.

His ideas aren’t some new thing though. This isn’t groundbreaking thought provoking stuff. It’s just on Twitter and in interviews, Shapiro looks and sounds different than your prototypical right winger just like if someone who looked and sounded like Toby Keith doing a liberal minded podcast or TV interviews would garnish a ton of attention on its own for having a spokesperson who wasn’t your classic prototype. Point being.... people like to retweet and like Shapiro posts because it’s not some old fat fart like Rush Limbaugh saying it... makes them look more credible on their Facebook or twitter timeline.... but it’s the same right wing BS in the end.

In the end Shapiro is just another bratty entitled Trumper who doesn’t like to admit they are a Trumper. Kudos for him making a career out of tweeting and podcasting about it so the people who retweet you feel better about their hard right positions.

#16 dobro1229, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Harrisment and RayRay10 like this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For kicks right now I decided to go look at Shapiros twitter feed. I went through this posts so you don’t have to. Thoughts:

A. Dude is obsessed with AOC and Rashida Tahlib.

B. Nothing but Twitter take-downs to Democrats over stupid crap like Kamala Harris not ironing her apron in photo of her cooking which proves.... she doesn’t cook enough?? Way to reinforce the stereotype Trumpers.

C. He toes the Trump line big time. Whatever the news of the day is, he’s responding with the same responses you’d see on CNN when the Trumper gets his chance to respond. Of course he defends Bill Barr who is refusing to abide by a lawful subpoena. Of course he thinks Trump should weaponize the DOJ to go after Hillary.

D. For someone who is supposed to be the next great right wing “thinker”... he sure reposts everyone else quite a bit.

E. Dude is obsessed with AOC and Rashida Tahlib.

Deckard, B-Bob and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have never been a fan of Shapiro however I really do appreciate his presentations with his arguments. That said, Shapiro did very poorly in this interview and he was exposed for the very reason I dislike him. He tends to talk over people, his presentations are usually very legalistic and antagonistic and like most political discussions, he finds the flaw in the oppositions idea then proceeds to dismiss the whole topic and ignore the root problem.

That said, the interviewer was just as bad. It was the typical strategy of one who is looking to back someone in the corner and catch them in a 'gotcha' for cheap sound clips.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The fact that people got all jolly about this one vid shows how effective of a debater he is. He shook so many people it's refreshing to watch him get shook.

Dark Rhino and Astrodome like this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

#SnowFlake

Shapiro comes across as a hateful ideolog. He says he wants civil discourse as long as he can be uncivil and he does all of the discoursing.

He can give it but he can not take it.

Deckard, RayRay10 and CometsWin like this.