1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman rant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by burlesk, May 12, 2019.

1. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. nemac

nemac Member

James Harden, Chris Paul and Daryl Morey lost again. They lost again to the Warriors.

No one in Houston is happy about that right now, especially Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta.

After the Warriors eliminated the Rockets from the NBA playoffs Friday, Fertitta held court with reporters and went on an epic rant. Fox Sports 26 sports director Mark Berman was there to capture the whole thing.

"Steph Curry scored 33 points in the second half. I mean, what do you say? The champions stood up and be champions," Fertitta said. "We just need to learn from it. We have great athletes, we have great players. I'm a fortunate guy to have James Harden and Chris Paul on my team, and Eric Gordon, but these guys stepped up in the second half, and that's why they are champions.

"Hopefully we just learn from it and be better, but you gotta give it to them tonight. They showed why they're the champions, and we're going to learn from it. We're gonna to come back next year and we're gonna kick their a-- at some point. I can promise you that."

The Warriors extended their NBA-record streak of winning at least one road game in their 21st consecutive series.

"They came to our home court and they kicked our a--, and that's just the way it is," Fertitta said. "They outscored us by 10 points in the fourth quarter. They won, they're the champions, and we lost."

A reporter asked Fertitta if losing at home made the loss more painful.

"Hell yes it's more painful. This was not fun," Fertitta said. "I guarantee you James and Chris and our team are very upset right now. They kicked our a-- on our home court. They beat us by 10 points in the fourth quarter. It's unacceptable. We just have to be better. And I know we're going to rise to the occasion and our time is going to come."

Harden lost in his only NBA Finals appearance while with the Oklahoma City Thunder, and Chris Paul never has been to the championship round, but Fertitta claimed the Rockets will win a title with their current core.

"I can promise you, we're gonna win some championships with James Harden because we're not going to sit here," Fertitta said. "We're going to battle every year. We're going to have a strong offseason, and we're gonna do whatever it takes to be a better team. We're not gonna sit on our hands. I can promise you that."

Then Feritta finished with quotes that are sure to raise eyebrows around the league.

"I'm a fighter. That's my culture," Fertitta said. "The longer I own this team, they're gonna pick up more of my culture. We had 'em. We should have stepped on their throats the other night and cut their throats. It's step on their throats, and let's take it back to Houston and end it in six."

Wow. Cut their throats? That's a Texan for you.

Well, Tilman, sorry to break it to you, but your team doesn't know how to step on anyone's throat. Maybe you can find some players who know how to do that this summer. Good luck.

ak99999, joshuaao, smp and 4 others like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

oh schitt... is tillmen bout to hire john wick?

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

lol Tilman's mafia persona leaking

It's sad that our owner is so delusional so we're going to #runitback every year and bang our head against a steel wall.

lw17 and dachuda86 like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This video of Morey leaked after the game. He's so right.

burlesk and Clips/Roxfan like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Barry Berkman.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Run it back wit the same old plan.

lw17 likes this.
  8. Voltik

Voltik Member

He’s all talk...we’ll see what he does in the offseason.

lw17 likes this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

talks a big game about doing whatever it takes to win but then lets good players walk, replaces them with minimum salary scrubs, and trades assets away to save money.

is that the "strong offseason" he's promising? we've seen it before.

the warriors spent $21M more than we did on the roster. either match their spending or admit saving money is more important that winning.

jcmoon, ak99999, lw17 and 3 others like this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's how 80s and 90s players talk but these sissyfied Californians today have a problem with it. :rolleyes:

Hard_foul and lw17 like this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, that's what he is admitting in his quote. He said about the only thing he could say. The Warriors are a better team and the Rockets are not giving up.

It's been very frustrating for the Rockets and the entire league these past five years trying to compete with the Warriors.

burlesk likes this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm all in favor of a passionate owner who wants us to step on throats ...or tear out hearts ...or cut off balls ...or whatever other crude and violent analogy one can make. My favorite rockets of all time were the kind of hard-nosed players with killer instinct that Tilman is talking about. Guys like Chuck Hayes, Pat Bev, Kyle Lowry, PJ Tucker, Sam Cassel. These guys step on throats. you surround Harden, a another true star (and CP3) with a bunch of these kinds of players, you will win a championship.

Coach MDA is not that guy. And i don't think Clint Capela is that guy. I'd start by replacing the coach and looking at the trade market for Capela. MDA keeps referring to Capela as a "classy guy". I think they're both soft. We don't need "classy guys", we need killers.

burlesk, ak99999 and smp like this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Tilman be tripping with these rainforest cafe prices.

ak99999 likes this.
  14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Actions speak louder than words.

burlesk, lw17 and J.R. like this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this is a strong take. I think he deserves this offseason to prove he's for real. But i agree that he's got to put his money where his mouth is.

burlesk, smp and smoothie like this.
  16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You conveniently forgot James Harden. The guy went missing & virtually quit when we had them. KD out, Steph in foul trouble, and you TAKE ONE SHOT in the last 7 minutes. All he has to do is be the person he was all year. He also fell asleep on defense with Klay.

No coach in NBA history can win a championship with a superstar borderline point shaving playoff games

lw17 likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This offseason they really cant do a whole lot …. just not much in the way of assets.

They can however create movable assets for a mid season acquisition IF they are willing to spend the bucks - and attach future assets to those two players to make a move.

They have full bird rights on Shumpert - can sign him "up to the max" (clearly NOT happening) & early bird rights for G.Green and can sign him for up to $9.6m - the average salary league wide. Shumpert's salary this year was $11m?

The question is if you can get Shumpert and Green to agree to deals that are 1 year with a team option for a second , essentially making them expiring contracts that you can move between Dec15th and the trade deadline ….

Neither player is going to net you a big return on their ability but being expiring contracts and attaching assets to them …..

The question at that point is who shakes loose ?!

#17 Corrosion, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Words are wind.

burlesk likes this.
  19. JW86

JW86 Member

I like it, he’s right about cutting throats so get rid of the soft guys and bring in more Tucker like ones.

burlesk, smp and DreamShook like this.
  20. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

If a black player said that they would be suspended. But let a white Republican mafioso say it and nothing will happen.

burlesk likes this.