1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2019 Astros may be better than you think...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Stros, May 11, 2019.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pretty slick when you figure Houston’s 2 weakest spots (big bat at 1B/DH and SP) are the areas they just happen to have some of the very best prospects in baseball (Alvarez, Tucker, Martin, and Whitley).

I do think Houston will trade for a SP. Just not sure who.

everyday eddie and Htown Stros like this.
  3. Screaming Fist

Their current 3rd order winning % (per BPro) is .794 this season. Their 3rd order winning % was around .665 last season.

everyday eddie and Houstunna like this.
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Bum

And not a bad name when it comes to Houston sports

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Luhnow is prone to focus on guys with multiple years left. But the payroll situation limits that part of it. Stroman and Boyd would be the 2 guys that make the most sense to me.

Nook and HTown2017Champs like this.
  6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Love Boyd

Bum will require an extension for anyone he signs with. If Luhnow feels like he could have a Verlander like return to dominance, let’s go

I do think Boyd would be a great fit though

7. HTown2017Champs

Love Boyd. Plenty of control left, plenty of upside, he'd be reunited with JV (whatever that's worth). He's had a nice season this year, and had pretty good K numbers last year (at least the first half). I supported looking into him this past offseason.

8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Saw this on a Tigers site. They had 3 dream trades. One of them was with Houston . Would you guys do this?

Boyd and Castellanos for Tucker, Fisher, and Santana (Luis).

Would we want Castellanos? I would rather give Alvarez a shot. If he struggles in the majors and White doesn't improve then Castellanos might be of use. Don't know much about Santana. Is Boyd good enough to involve Tucker?

Actually looking at Castellanos numbers, it doesn't look great.

#8 punkoholic, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I probably wouldn’t do that trade. Castellanos is a rental and the Astros don’t really need him. And while Boyd is off to a great start he doesn’t have the kind of track record that warrants giving up a potential core piece like Tucker. I would probably do Bukauskas, Fisher, and Santana for Boyd.

#9 Snake Diggit, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  10. HTown2017Champs

I'd trade for Boyd. Actually, looking at Castellanos's numbers, they aren't that great. He's a rental, and would just add to the parade of RHH in the lineup. Just let Alvarez have a shot. Wouldn't mind Luis Santana, Fisher, and Armenteros for Boyd, or something like that. Gives Fisher and Armenteros plenty of playing time, helps clean up the logjam, and Santana nets them a high ceiling "lottery ticket" prospect.

11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Josh James is finding his groove w mechanical adjustment. Weapon in the pen, or potential starter? Not sure we need a SP, but I agree it’s likely.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. SemisolidSnake

This team is absurdly jacked. I'm agog at what they've managed to do.

Pretty much everyone of importance sans Altuve (and he'll come around) is hitting so much better than last year.

But wait, let's just get Michael Brantley to come in as well and immediately vie for best hitter on the team. A team with THIS spate of hitters already. Oh, and we got Chirinos, fixed his catching technique, and he's also hitting better than it seems he ever has.

We lost a few starters, but we gained Miley, who's awesome. Still have JV. Still have Cole. Peacock just threw one of his best games ever. A rookie just threw 9 strikeouts and only allowed a couple runs. The starting pitching is still pretty damn badass. Maybe moreso. These guys all seem healthy.

In the bullpen, we have Osuna, Pressly, James, and now McHugh is going back as well.

This is wild.

13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope we can add a better option at DH than White and add a SP.

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Alvarez says hello.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Obviously the FO knows best...but why haven’t we glued Bagwell to Alvarez and force-fed him 1B reps?

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Astros look formidable. Imagine them with a healthy Altuve?

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Healthy and productive Altuve. The last few weeks of success has been with him not hitting like his normal self.

19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I don’t think they’ve given up on him in LF. We’re going to lose Reddick soon, Brantley is signed through only next year and who knows what happens to Springer. So there’s a chance we have an all new OF by 2021.