1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden: I know exactly what we need to do

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 10, 2019.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Bye Capela. MDA? Not so sure.

If MDA is fired everyone will assume that’s what Doc Rivers was doing outside the locker room. Interviewing with CP3.

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Did Melo low key fire MDA again rotfl. His signing and all that situation took a big hit on the locker room and you can tell Chris isnt the same mentaly.

3. bmelo

bmelo Member

It just looks like Morey never played organized bball on any level cause he had no talent but he loved the game so much he tried to outsmart basketball with some absurd basic math just to show he is capable

For me this team is not constructed like a basketball team and this system is antibasketball one. The first principle of any sport is you have to have fun from playing in order to play good and you better believe limiting yourself to standing stationary in one spot on the three point line watching one player get all of the possesions isnt exactly fun to no one. The best feeling is when you and your teammates share ball with great chemistry, everybody feels good about their role, getting their share of possesions. And when things get thoughest thats when leader goes to work and bails out rest of the team. Its whole reversed here

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My curiosity is piqued with Harden's statements.

It clearly will be the mystery driving the team this summer. The roster moves and/or the scheme adjustments, etc.

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

Love Harden. Love the Rockets.

But I will believe it when I see it. Enough talk. We've been talking for years and years, always saying the same thing.

Empty promise. Means nothing. Stop talking and shut your damn critics up when it matters.

Hakeemtheking, cbs1507 and smp like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty much this.

Fans on here can give up on Harden and the Rockets if they want to. But I am not.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

amongst all players w at least 3 playoff games this post season (32 players), Haden finished DEAD LAST in clutch time net rating.

it's no longer about him "getting better"... he just had one of the most historic offensive seasons in NBA history. if you're banking on him getting discernibly better than he was this season you're out of your mind. it's 100% about mental fortitude - he's shown that to us time and time and time again - when the pressure is squarely on him, he completely implodes. plays with a complete lack of awareness of the importance of the situation.

crazy as it sounds, KD going out was probably the worst thing that could've happened to us for game 6 bc it put even that much more pressure on him to win. and in the final minutes of the game he yet again played timid, played stupid (i mean that throw in TO... wtf was that???), missed ft's (posted his worst playoff ft% ever). like how much more does he need to show you? it sucks royal balls bc he's an otherworldly talent but he simply doesn't have it in him to lead.

even worse, we got a first hand taste of what a player with clutch, championship mettle w curry going off. ask yourself this - when was harden's last 23 point 4th? what clutch moment does he have? answer is he doesn't.

DreamShook, bballjunkie, smp and 2 others like this.
  8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

There's something really odd about James and the way he plays...obviously the numbers hes put up are insane...but his demeanor. I know it is a topic that's been beaten to death already, but I think it is a big issue. What it is, i don't know. Is he shy? Is he stuck up? Unhappy? Too mechanical? Passive aggressive?

I don't have a clue. His teammates seem to respect him and defend him, so my guess is he's not being difficult in any way and they recognize that's just who he is, but I don't think his personality fits in a role where he's the center of the universe for a team. It's like he lulls his own guys to sleep and then all of a sudden it is like, oh we might lose this game, and you see someone like Gordon trying to be more physical and make something happen. And you have certain key plays where he just walks around like it's all going to be just fine..and i think that rubs off on guys.

I doubt James is going to change, so they need to bring other guys around him with energy and a sense of urgency. James can't seem to create that atmosphere unless he's scoring 50. If he's really unhappy about their style of play, then changing it might help. he did seem to have more zip to his game in OKC, more improvised. Maybe he's just bored by it, I don't know, but it also hurt them in the regular season and they couldn't get home court, which i think is a must to beat GS. They can't just go back to this again next year and be content because they hover at the top of the league and that means they get a shot and could catch a break or two.

9. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

both of y'all's posts are true

unfortunately yours holds the most weight.

we're ****ed

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yes I do think that he is shy, though he’s not the type to ever admit it, and that’s why some say he has an aloof or apathetic demeanor. It was much more noticeable when he first came in the league and I think he’s gotten more outgoing the last two years or so. He’s always been that way, and certainly isn’t the only NBA star that’s shy. Kawhi and DeRozan. Hell, Curry, Thompson, and Durant are all shy. I don’t think it’s necessary for him to change to be a leader. He leads by example and is plenty vocal on the court.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

1. GET RID OF MOREY. He's the one who is demanding for a 3 point shooting system, and James Harden ISO plays.
    2. GET RID OF MIKE D'ANTONI.
    3. BRING IN A REAL GM WHO IS NOT ABOUT ANALYTICS, BRINGS IN GOOD PLAYERS AND GAIN PLAYER'S CONFIDENCE.
    4. GET A BETTER COACH THAT CAN ACTUALLY MAKE PLAYS, STOP THE ISO PLAYS, AND BRING IN THE BEST OF THE PLAYERS.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Curry is actually known to be really talkative, but anyone can probably be seen as shy in certain contexts. Those guys are pretty aggressive with their game when it matters most, at least the others besides DeRozan. I don't know what to label it with James, but it isn't working the way the team plays and the way it is constructed.

bobloblaw likes this.
  13. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think I know what it is. Some people i encountered has that the smart ones ... a sense of arrogance and thinking they will just outsmart you.

I will still root for James but this team needs a wholesale change. It’s not just the Warriors. You have the bucks now. Other teams too. They are so well coached and work like a clockpiece. Our approach is just so frustrating. If this is not addressed, we will be disappointed again and again.

SWTsig likes this.
  14. macan

macan Member

melo got the last laugh for sure, he's sipping some wine and enjoy our defeat somewhere.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Harden don't know isht!!!!

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Fortunately Harden is such a great player that he works in any scheme. Coaching and scheme adjustments are two things we can improve. We were passing the ball more last year and I think we were a better team. Sure we did a lot of iso, but there was better ball movement. I think you start by upgrading the coaching and improve the scheme.

YallMean and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Personnel change is not the end

The end is to implement a system using James as a center piece to put ourselves in position to succeed consistently in the playoffs against tough competitions.

In this system James should also be accountable for his mistakes. We need a strong minded coach to change the culture of this team. I refuse to believe a tweak here and there will make us over the hump because 1) Tilman is not paying luxury taxes no matter what he promises 2) an upgrade like Jimmy Butler only means we will have to lose someone like Austin Rivers don’t think these moves will be a game changer.

SWTsig likes this.
  18. RocketTheory

RocketTheory Member

Lol... plus the head coach

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't think we are giving up on the Rockets - At least I'm not. we just don't trust them.

SWTsig and YOLO like this.
  20. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If the Houston Rockets had these players than the Rockets can advance past the Warriors

PG Trey Young
    SG James Harden
    SF Kawhi Leonard
    PF Kristaps Porzingis
    C Anthony Davis

jcmoon likes this.