1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How are the Rockets planning on signing Butler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Farhan583, May 11, 2019.

1. Farhan583

Farhan583 Member

How exactly is the math for this working? Let’s say you manage to dump Gordon, Capela, and PJ Tucker for nothing but cap space. You owe Paul and Harden 76.6 million. You owe Nene 4.8 million. You owe Hartenstein and Clark 2.8 million. 5 empty roster spot cap holds equaling about 4 million.

That’s ~88.1 million you’ve got committed before you even start. The salary cap is 109 million. How are you signing Butler to a 20.9 million dollar contract? This is despite dumping all those other key cogs on your roster for nothing. Seems more than a little bit of a pipe dream.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

You think Harden would survive Butler? I don’t and I don’t like him anymore, seems very full of himself. We need to go for a deeper bench and better role players, if anything this series taught me something, it’s that. Don’t need more stars and ego. We already have EGO!

ClutchFam likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Chris Paul Special--he opts into the last year of his contract (instead of opting out) and we trade for him, using Gordon and Tucker as bait. I'd rather trade Clint and Gordon but they got enough 7 footers on that team.

4. NBA_fan_2018

NBA_fan_2018 Member

I think it has a greater chance of failure than Melo/Westbrook did.

5. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

To be honest, I don't think JB can bring us substantial improvement.

I always think that our magic ball game is radically extreme and deformed. DM castrated our mid-range shooting area, while JB liked mid-range shooting very much.

If we really want JB, EG may be used as a bargaining chip. But as far as the Warriors are concerned, I think EG will do better than JB, and more importantly, EG will score better three points.

6. Mr. Space City

Sign him for the vet minimum but give him 50% ownership of Landry’s

7. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Sign and trade - sending Eric Gordon, Nene, and picks to Philly for him after he opts in on a Chris Paul special.

Eric Gordon is a really good player, but Butler is better plus he can play in the front court - he's 4 inches taller than Gordon and collects twice as many rebounds. Our lack of size just killed us. The gap between us and the Warriors is not huge, and Butler would help close it.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It's not happening another pipe dream like the run it back bs

9. basketballholic

Nope. Only way we acquire butler is if he opts in and we trade ego and nene for him on or before June 30.