1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next moves for the Rockets: How Houston keeps contending

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, May 10, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

So basically we are stuck with Shumpert and Green again? Sorry Green, you bleed Rockets red, but you got the opportunity and you blew it. Time has come for you to leave. We have no picks and no tradeable assets, since Gordon needs to stay in my opinion and Capela ain't worth a dime right now. This era is over, Harden and CP3 got their money and now we have zero to work with. Sacrifice is not in their vocabulary, figuratively and literally.

smp and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Maybe we can convince Cousins to take the MLE lol.

It's about as desperate a move as hoping Melo works out.

Ronkol likes this.
  3. Mr. Space City

Gonna have to try and develop Gary Clark and other players and see what they have there.

GotGame15 and fattz like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

a bunch of my friends want to blame it all on MDA. and i absolutely think MDA has some limitations that could prevent us from getting over the hump. He's a very 1-dimensional coach, he's not a good x's and o's coach, but obviously he's good enough that the team has had two of it's most productive years in franchise history under him. Still, i think we could probably do better. I think you give Kelvin Sampson a serious look.

But it wasn't just MDA and is inability to make adjustments or play players like Manimal that might have given us a spark and some rebounding. The roster was very unbalanced. It was obvious going into the season that we had some roster vulnerabilities, and even though Morey did a admirable job of adding players during the season, we never got that other reliable chip that we were hoping to add to our core of EG, PJ, CP3, Clint and Harden. We never came away with that guy in the offseason or during the season. And i think we just simply still need to find that guy. The roster needs improvement. We need 1) more length, rebounding and defense in the front court. 2) we could probably use another shooter. I don't know how Morey gets that done with no cap space and no draft pick. One bite at the apple is our MLE. Morey can't squander it this year; he's got to make that count; we've got to get one of those "pieces" with the MLE. As far as another piece, i think Morey is gonna have to get creative in the trade market without destroying the core. If he can add two impact players and fill the rest of the roster with upside minimum contracts; maybe add another piece in the buyout market or trade deadline towards the end of the season, we could get another shot and could be successful.

I am not sure of MDA. But i am sure that Morey is one of the best GM's in basketball and will find a way to improve this team in the offseason. I'm also sure that Harden is still worth building a team around. I'm sure you don't win a championship without guys like PJ Tucker. I'm sure Eric Gordon is the 2nd best player on the team. I'm sure Chris Paul will be serviceable even in the last year of his contract. and I'm sure Clint Capela's confidence is completely shot.

So ...who is the guy we target that fits the length/rebounding/defense, and who is our shooting target? Who do we target with the MLE. And most importantly ...how the hell do we get Pat Bev back in Houston? He falls into that "you don't win a championship without guys like ...PJ Tucker" category.

Never underestimate the heart of a champion.

Go Rockets

Gray_Jay, Shark44 and Mkieke like this.
  5. Le$$

Le$$ Member

You can retool this team. But i think Eric Gordon and Paul will have to go. I mean Clint is also on the hot seat if a good deal comes by. I would even think about trading Eric Gordon, Clint Capela, and pick for a star. Rockets are gonna have to get some really nice vets as well and resign a few players they have. Well see.
    Mike is a good coach, you might not find anyone out there better.

6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

He had that in okc dummie. :))

7. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Get MDA outta here, and Morey needs to understand the benefit of offensive diversity. Too many one-on-ones with under ten seconds to go on the clock.

8. MD_in_Training

I don’t think you understand the severity of our situation. Paul, Gordon, and Capela gets us very little in return. Paul is a huge negative asset that no team will touch without us giving up significant assets (that we don’t have).

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. igotwhipscollectingdust

If they don’t get another star I’ll never watch another rockets game again

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If the title was... How the Rox keep pretending

GotGame15 likes this.
  11. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Wait what Gordon, Capela , and 1st can get you a good star back.

12. MD_in_Training

Like who? You think teams aren’t watching the playoffs? No team will give us a legit star for Gordon, Capela and a late first rounder. If we owned a lottery pick then I would believe you.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

when he was a 6th man...try harder with your trolling bruh

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It wouldn't have worked. Lou couldn't play as a PG. CP at least decreased the pressure on Harden to some extent. It's sad but it's time for him to go, but not even MJ will want that.

15. saleem

Morey too is responsible for this style with his stats. Les wasn't a great owner, but I doubt if Tilman is committed to change. We need a new and better GM and a new head coach.

I still love James Harden, and I don't want him to leave Houston, but I'm not totally opposed to moving him for expiring contracts so the rebuilding process can be started.

16. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

Those guys got blown out 5/6 times they fought the Warriors, two of those at home. This place b**** about the team being chokers but that trio choked worse in their elimination game, especially Lou.

17. saleem

Morey is a bum. Ditto for MDA.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed CP3 is here till his final year, when his contract actually becomes an asset. I think Eric Gordon is a key part of continuing to compete (probably the 2nd best player on the team). The only reason to trade him is if you think he's gonna walk after next season. But if we still want to compete next year, i don't see how getting rid of EG is a good thing. On Capela, i definitely think he's the player that makes the most sense to move. He's only 25, he's on a reasonable long-term contract, and playoff performance aside -bigs who can defend and rebound still command interest on the market.

Capela and a couple future picks isn't a boatload to work with, but it may be enough to get us another star player. Of course we'd have to find a way to replace the tallest player and best re bounder in a rotation that needs more size and rebounding. It really is a clusterf*ck. While i'm sure we could find a way to be right back where we were, i'm not sure we can field a team as good as golden state, even if Durant walks.

GotGame15 likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Thanks for posting the article.

The thing that stands out to me is right off the bat , the writer is talking about avoiding the tax …. I thought we avoided the tax this year so we could exceed it next and not be worried about the repeater tax down the line.

I said when they made the deal for Shumpert they would be very limited in how they can replace / add talent. We'll likely see a bunch of vet min's like last season …. and hope like hell another Rivers / Faried shakes loose in the buyout market.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  20. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

I wonder if we could get Prince Luc back, now that he's a year removed from injury.