1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In my next life I want to come back as Klay Thompson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wulaw Horn, May 8, 2019.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Some of y'all are underrating Klay. He's the perfect 2nd option to Harden. He's no superstar but certainly a top 20 player in the league

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thompson is an excellent player. His impact is muted quite a bit with Durant on the floor. He requires extra attention to keep in check.

The guy holds the NBA record for most points in a quarter, most 3s in a game, and he reached 60 in 3 quarters once. He can easily get on a hot streak and drop 20 in a quarter. It’s kind of weird to see people acting like he’s just some role player.

everyday eddie and daywalker02 like this.
  3. biina

biina Member

This is just silly.

Excluding Harden, how many other current SGs are better than Klay?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

OP wants to come back as a human cyborg. Duly noted.

5. nomiz1987

nomiz1987 Member

Klay for CP3 get it done morey

6. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Dark

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No way he’s top 5 in my opinion.
    Just looked it up and he’s 13th in percentage, he’s never led the league, he doesn’t typically take them off the dribble, and he typically gets them pretty wide open.
    I read some guy ranking all time 3 point shooters and he had Klay at 9th and that felt right to me.

And this is exactly what I mean- you came in and said he’s got to be op 5 all time as a 3 point shooter. People are constantly saying that he’s a top 5 shooter of all time and I just really don’t see it. Like, at all. There’s been so many great shooters in this league.
    I’m not going to put Klay above a guy like Dale Ellis, or his coach Steve Kerr, or Reggie Miller, certainly not Ray Allen, Tim Legler, maybe Eddie Johnson, Larry Bird, or a bunch of other guys. His teammate is clearly better than him.
    I’d call Harden a better 3 point shooter than him just bc of volume and degree of difficulty, even though Klay is clearly a better shooter than Harden.

#67 Wulaw Horn, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    bobloblaw likes this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's hard to argue with that without any fixed criteria by which you're ranking players as 3 pointer shooters. It doesn't appear you have any such criteria, given the names of the players you put ahead of him.

Example: Klay doesn't shoot a lot of threes off the dribble? OK ... how many did Miller, Kerr, and Legler shoot off the dribble?

Here's what I know about Klay and 3-point shooting:

Klay holds the record for most 3s made in a regular season game and in a playoff game.

As I already said, he's second all time in 3s made per game.

Klay has been in the league for 8 seasons. He has attempted 250 3s and hit at least 40% of them in every single one of them. Only three other players in the history of the game have done that in more than 8 seasons (Korver 10, Curry 9, Miller 9).

Klay has hit at least 200 3s in his last 7 seasons -- so every season following his rookie year. No other player in the history of the game has had more than 7 seasons hitting at least 200 3 pointers (Curry has 7, next on the list is Ray Allen, Harden, and Lillard with 5).

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I would take him on the Rockets if he wants to change teams.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I was just discussing this with a friend. Klay is basically a role player on steroids.

Any other team and he would be completely lost in the noise. He's so lucky he landed where he did.

CCity Zero and Wulaw Horn like this.
  11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

park

12. Rockets4Life13

It’s funny how you fixate on the headline and completely miss the point he was trying to make.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  13. Voltik

Voltik Member

Oh I didn’t miss the point, as I completely ignored the post like I said in the initial post. I also apologized because I admit the title of the thread during game day triggered the response. I used to have very competitive nature on court basketball and still do with Rockets as a team and more so against a team like Worriers during our championship window.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  14. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I don't see why he's not top 15...I think he's a fantastic player just not a superstar. I'm not sure anyone thinks he is.

15. biina

biina Member

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Was Thompson good enough to get any praise this series? If not he still beat the Rockets without Cousins and Durant.

Sh*t thread