1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laid off. What now?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, May 9, 2019.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It’s ok. We all grow up eventually, I was an idiot when I was 17 too.

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Gotcha, man it just sucks regardless, I really hope you get something you like (yeah family business for sure can be both tougher on some aspects and maybe better in others, but with that said, I think it's harder at the end of the day.

And absolutely, you need someone who's good at resume stuff. I mean it's skilled work and with all the experience certs might not be as important (depending what you're looking at etc.) Maybe start an outline of all the skills/stuff you handled from machine stuff up to basically running the entire company (so pretty much everything at the end) and have someone buildup the resume. The experience could really help out a ton. I mean it might allow you to get your foot in the door to get a cert that's paid for (or even allow you to change your entire career, whatever you prefer). I'm sure it sucks to say the least but stay strong, with all the hard work you've done I think it'll pay off for your next job.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, we all were

Dankstronaut likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

you don't need school for CNC machinist. Programmers or Leads might but not button pushers just modifying offsets. Just apply for machinists jobs or office jobs in machine shops. schmoes off the street are getting 15/hr

biff17 likes this.
  5. omgTHEpotential

Maybe you'll find this motivating:

6. biff17

biff17 Member

Not cool bro.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know it sucks but getting laid off at 32 is a whole lot better than 42 or 52. You can learn something new if you want - there is much more ahead of you than behind.

Stop and really take stock and evaluate what you want to do.

Since you've been working for the family, the other thing I want to say is be prepared for how completely lacking in any type of rhyme or reason the job market is. When I was laid off from my last job, I spent three months sending out resumes left and right without so much as a nibble from anybody. I'd decided that I was just not qualified and would have to go learn something else. After having given up spamming the resume, I got a call from someone I had applied to a month and a half previously and hadn't heard a word from, and I had a job a week later.

People looking for employees work on their own timetables, and there is no mechanism from employers to validate how you look to employers short of getting hired.

8. body slam

body slam Member

Mills, lathes,or both?

Manual machinist should be able to find a job with little problem. A lot of the big plants do their one maintenance and need manual machinist to fix problems.

Lowes and Home Depot or all ways hiring until you find something better.

9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

if I were to head back in that direction, I’d rather be a lead than a Schmoe. That’s me though, I’m more driven than schmoes. And I have zero doubt about being able to learn a new machine, zero fear about running machinery...I’m actually really good at it i Just don’t enjoy it much. But those 30/hr jobs interest me more than the 15/hr do for sure.

Job applications are weird too. Like, I’ve met some people in higher profile jobs that I just can’t imagine checked off all the boxes. Or they just lied and nobody called em on it. And then experience required...like at some point someone just has to give a noob a chance. And some of them are like 40 requirements deep, no way on earth there’s a line of people who fit every measure listed.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about the business. But it does rather sound like you're selling your experience short. You ran your own business for the last few years. If you stay in the industry, not only do you know the industry, but you know the functions a company needs to operate, which isn't something an average machinist could say. Which is not to say finding the next gig will be easy, but don't underestimate yourself either.

11. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I could run a mill but we didn’t do a lot of it and the mill was like 60 years old so Im sure there would be a learning curve. No lathing experience. Shear, punch press, press brake, any kind of hand operated tools, pneumatic tools, grainer, we had a smaller sandblasting booth at one point, vertical saw, bandsaw, drilling, tapping, I’m sure I’m leaving stuff out. Then I did office work, deliveries, etc. even while we didn’t seem to have a lot of orders it was always a ton of work.

12. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Some options to check out:
    -- check the city that you live in, website for job openings.
    -- check the county website that you live in, for job openings.
    -- sign up on indeed and monster, put your resume out there, it's also a way for recruiters to find you.
    -- i dunno try your hand at being a CAD drafter, entry-level.

Good luck man.

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cast a wide net. Don't relegate yourself to just machining/fabrication. Sounds like you'd be great managing an office or becoming a purchaser. Your experience is there and, as you've stated, you got some slack to take your time and find the right gig. Once you start gaining traction, don't overlook the interview process. Look sharp and lock down some practice interviews beforehand. Good luck OP!

MiddleMan and Dankstronaut like this.
  14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

#learntocode

If truck drivers can do it, so can you.

MiddleMan likes this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is excellent advice. The job market has so much luck involved.

I would add that you're at a critical stage of your life with respect to your career. You're young enough to make big changes if you want and still young enough to pursue education. As I get older the adage about doing what you love just rings more and more true. I would do a little soul searching and pursue something you love even if it requires education and make a career out of it. Not sure you'd be eligible for a Pell Grant but it's something to look into. Also don't be trapped into thinking you need a 4 year degree. A couple years of community college or even schooling for something like nursing or some apprenticeship to be an electrician for example would be things you might want to consider. Best of luck!

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  16. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Agree, he was super useful!

justtxyank likes this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

i have no good advice, but i hope you get back on your feet and start kicking ass again on the fast.

i do think the uber and lyft as @droxford breh said is a good idea for the short term.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Look for people in your industry and get a feeler for what's around. Don't let what they say knock you down. Anyone who's been unemployed knows how easy a simple mental setback can morph what should be days into months. Understand where you are and work to where you realistically can comfortably be

If you have a knack for services and management, might have to get your foot in the door and have personal goals to work your way up.

Something in the office is low physical stress but mental stress is a different thing.

I'd definitely talk to a resume writer for them to tell you your situation and get a feeler.

Recruiters and employment officials sometimes don't care about individuals and more about volume

19. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I work for one of the big hospitals in the medical center and it seems like we are always looking for Maintenance Technicians.

20. Nook

Nook Member

How old are you? If you are always on time and avoid tickets and are willing to work in the warehouse for a couple years; you can do really well at UPS. It is worth being patient for.

Welding is another career worth it. Same with working on boilermakers.

Do your research, there ARE really solid jobs you can get without a degree.