1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela is playing scared

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, May 9, 2019.

1. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Seems like the last player the Rockets had with a big mouth was Parsons...

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  2. vince

vince Member

I don’t think he’s playing scared at all. They are keeping him contained. Defenders aren’t floating away from him to help against the dribble penetration, because Harden and Paul aren’t driving into the lane as much.

Like it or not, Capela is who he is in his development. He’s still getting better, but he’s been told to be long and lean, block shots, dunk lobs, rebound, and contest shots. The Warriors have accepted who they will tolerate beats them, and Green isn’t letting Capela posterize him.

I think Capela can add more bulk to his frame and get stronger. But he has limitations, which are obvious, but with continued proper coaching can exploit against opposing defenses..

I’m a big fan of Capela, but he’s still improving.

3. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

He sucks against the warriors. useless....garbage.

But he will be our biggest weapon in the Nuggets series.

He is a beast against 28 other teams.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, the Warriors are defending him well. BUT, he clearly looks timid. He doesn't go to the basket strong even when he gets the ball down low. There is no excuse. He has always been pushed around by stronger players. That's no surprise. He still can grab a good amount of rebounds because of his length and quickness. But the way he plays on offense is just pathetic. And he keeps losing the ball being hesitant.

I am for playing Nene and Faried more, if nothing, just to see how the Warriors adjust to that.

5. magichat281

magichat281 Member

yeah he needs to develop a jump shot.

YallMean likes this.
  6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Is there something wrong with him physically. His hands or stamina? Just go up and stuff the ball. The worst that can happen is you get fouled or you commit an offensive foul. Is this a complete loss of confidence. He looks sad.

Maybe he is told to pass it out if he can't easily dunk? What is up?

7. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

His problem is Green. He is a mother****er but, is smart and can counter Capela moves that are predictable. The only way for Capela to change his game, if the team start storming in the paint, which won't happen in Morey's game plan.

bilaal14 likes this.
  8. basketballholic

His problem is he cannot shoot the 3 to drag Green out of the paint and he cannot keep up with the defensive scramble that the Warriors put their opponents in.

9. Voltik

Voltik Member

Game 6 I would keep the same staring lineups especially if they have a big starting without Durant (most likely). Try Faried and Nene from the bench if need be. I doubt MDA mixes things up in this game. I strongly believe he’ll need to mix up the lineups some point in this game, if Looney and Draymond out play Clint, as Kerr is forced to do the same with Durant out.

Clint needs to be better on Curry island, mix up the coverage on him...favor him driving more than shooting the 3. He hasn’t been good on the rim layup especially with tired legs.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Without a post game or a jump shot he's never gonna reach his potential in the NBA. He needs to be living eating and sleeping with Dream

11. vince

vince Member

Hey I agree with you, it would be nice if the opposing defense would stay on him to leave room for Harden to drive into the lane; but it seems the Rockets analytics don’t agree, and a reason the sports media hates the Rockets style (call it ugly basketball). This offense stresses three pointers, Dunks, layups, free throws, all are high percentage shots. You know what, maybe it works maybe it doesn’t, but you gotta hand it to the Rockets for testing out the theory nonetheless....

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I've never seen anyone show less will to earn a $1 million bonus that's sitting right in front of him.

hakeem94, count_dough-ku and vince like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Green seems to have Capela intimidated. Yes, the Worriers are playing him very well, and not just with Green, taking away one of our prime offensive weapons, the Harden/Capela lob, but its more than that. Clint’s let Green get into his head. He needs to step up and play like he’s capable of playing. He’s not going to turn into a jump shooter, obviously, and he doesn’t need to. The guy has to toughen up in the paint and be the rebounder he’s shown he can be. Also, block some shots.

Don’t get obsessed with where Green is. Play his game and Green just might get himself in foul trouble. Also, Harden and Paul both need to stop using the lob as much. GS is very good with anticipating them, particularly the lobs from distance. The guards need to lob closer to the paint and if they aren’t there, drive to the freakin’ basket. Get GS to foul so we can get more free throws.

Easy likes this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm good with our style, but i think being multi-dimensional can only help a team. and the truth is Nene is our best low post scorer, despite handing out a lot of money to capela this offseason. in the warriors series Capela has been neutralized, but if he could at least threaten the post, he'd impact the game a lot more.

15. today

today Contributing Member

With Durant out, that's one less person who can rotate and challenge Capela at the rim. MDA just needs to figure out how to manipulate Green to a different spot on the floor so that he's not the rotation guy when Capela dives to the rim.

I'm tired of watching Ca-panic, I'm ready to have the Ooop-masta back in the house.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep , durant being out should be huge for capela

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How was Montrezl Harrell at shooting the 3 in the last round?

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Yeah, but now your a talking about a complete new player who can also shoot the 3.
    Not even the top 2 centers in Embiid or Jokic that can also shoot the 3s, are as athletic as Capela inside the paint.

19. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

this is the same reason i dont understand why Faried is not playing (hes basically Montrezl) crazy man...

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Have always wondered why so many centers struggle with short to short-medium range jump shots. You're tall, you can usually get them off.

These are shots I'd expected grade schoolers to take...and make. If you are in the NBA...no excuse. If you can't hit a ten foot or less jump shot...WTF?

I'm not even talking about moves to the basket, turn around jumpers, etc. Just being able to spot up in the paint and shoot the damn ball in the hoop.

hakeem94 likes this.