1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what happened to Clint

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, May 9, 2019.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

This really baffles me.

Y’all remember last year he was a beast in the playoffs that got Tilman announce that Clint just cost him 80million dollars for playing that well.

Man, he was balling.

So what is it? Is he ill? Does the Warriors play him differently? Lack of effort? It’s not just this series. He played poorly in the last series too.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dray canceled him out last year too, but this is still worse.

Even when he breaks free, he botches the play

smp, napalm06, Crashlanded19 and 5 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

he played poorly in 1 game in the last series against utah. and its well known what he was looking like that game. this series aside from a solid game 4 its been a complete disaster.

douglasreedy1 and RyanB like this.
  4. mastan

mastan Member

Capela doesn't look normal... earlier I hardly saw him having troubles catching open lobs.. now he is pathetic in it... his athleticism is lost...i wouldn't be surprised if he is on drugs or some kind of illness.

kevtse, jcmoon and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. YallMean

YallMean Member

To me the standard for him is higher than ... PJ Tucker. If PJ grabs 12 boards or 22 points, he freaking has to double that impact. He is paid 20 MILLION a year

napalm06 and RyanB like this.
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

He looks lethargic. If he is hurt, he shouldn’t be playing. If that’s the case, this is also on Coach.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Team best +8 last night.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

He's not a traditional low post center. Opposing teams can shut down the lobs and dunks if they want to. However, shutting down Clint should open things up for other players. I like the plays where they pass it to Clint and as the defense collapses, Clint passes the ball to the corner for a wide open three. We really should be getting some good open looks from three with as much attention as they give to Clint. Of course last night we shot 29% from three.

RyanB and Elephant810 like this.
  9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Errr

I just wrote a post. So not going to repeat myself.

Make it simple - he is paid 20 million dollars to do more. +/- doesn’t necessarily tell he was playing well. In fact he was playing terrible. It’s not like they played in a secret cave, no one saw it and you can just point to the stat sheet tell me that.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

he lost the N in his name.

arubato, RichieBanks, justinh and 2 others like this.
  11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

He got paid, I suppose. I've found him kind of underwhelming the whole season, really. On paper he seems fine, but when you watch him he seems to have declined in many ways compared to the last couple of years. Doesn't intimidate anyone on defense (great block on Iggy, though!), fumbles passes where he used to be really good at catching everything, tentative on offense, loses rebounds to point guards, etc.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

He is not aggressive. He would just stood there not making anything happen.
    He is lost in a basketball sense. Run out of ideas when his lunch money is taken by the Warriors.

13. Mr. Space City

He wasn’t really that good last year vs the warriors.

His minutes and rebounds are basically the same as they were last year vs the warriors

It’s just he’s worse offensively.

Clint is his best vs. teams that play traditional man to man defense where he gets those easy lobs off all the attention harden gets being the PnR ball handler.

The warriors switching defense specifically takes away his bread and butter.

They force him to actually show how much skill he has in terms of finishing over, around, or through a defender.

For some reason he’s scared shitless to try and attempt a jump Hook over a 6’7 draymond green.

Now his rebounding and shot blocking this series is another story.

#13 Mr. Space City, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    RoyalGuard and RocketRed84 like this.
  14. YallMean

YallMean Member

He was effective last year agasint the Warriors- offensively.

Yeah,he still had 14 rebounds (maybe the most in this series) and a few good passes, but he is just not effective or positive. Not asking much from him, if he can play at Zach Collins level, we won the game. That’s not much to ask and why can’t he.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

He got 14 rebounds. Look, our offense is pretty simple. Our system doesn't ask Clint to do many different things offensively. The Warriors have eliminated what Clint does well. That's why Clint isn't getting as many minutes this series. Going with a smaller lineup makes our offense more dynamic. The Rockets have to take what the Warriors are going to give them. Forcing the ball to Clint in the paint hasn't worked very well.

16. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

He sucks against the warriors. useless....garbage.

But he will be our biggest weapon in the Nuggets series.

He is a beast against 28 other teams.

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am not talking about backdoor cuts. I am simply talking about move your freaking azz if you get boxed out in a position and you know Harden is going to do thing. Make yourself available. He is freaking lazy. That’s what I am talking about.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesnt matter if he makes himself available, he doesn't know what to do with the ball right now. he mentally jacked up. that's the problem

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I honestly assume it is both. He was really sick, so he either has been or is still on some heavy prescriptions of some kind. Even strong antibiotics can knock your normal body health back for a while (microbiome suffers).

I wouldn't question his heart. He really wanted the Warriors.

If I'm right at all, the good news is that he could be emerging from the illness/drugs haze any day and could really surprise the Worriers in game 6. I am still bullish about this series and our team.

HP3 likes this.
  20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

What's frustrating is when Klay Thompson or Steph Curry block his shot or get a rebound over him. They are as soft as can be so he needs to dunk over/through them in any way possible. No double clutching against these guys. He really needs to learn how to dunk with one hand. Not sure why that is so hard for some guys. Can he really not palm the ball even a little? Not since Brook Lopez (lol) have I seen a player neutralize Clint the way the Warriors and Draymond do.