1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

[Video] Game 5-4Q Condensed: 720p All Rockets Possessions last 7mins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, May 9, 2019.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

3:10 he doesn't even appear on the screen but the Paul 4 on 4 works. Capela dunk

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Rockets gave up 32 points in the 4th quarter.

That's the most they gave up since Q3 of game 3.

In short, the idea that down KD is a big problem for GSW offensively is ludicrous, imo. Their problem is depth and even more injury risk, and potentially defense. But hte Rockets 27 points in the 4th last night was their second best quarter.

The issue, more than anything, is (1) MDA coaching deep in playoffs when forced to make changes, and (2) actually getting 4 or 5 guys to play well at the same time.

#1 is the biggest issue, imo. That the GSw "exploded" offensively in the 4th quarter last night came as ZERO SHOCK to me. The second KD went out, I was thinking many we're going to see more movement and classic GSW offense. I knew it. Do I have the rotation answers, or strategy answers to note in a timeout or quarter change?? No... but I'm not getting paid millions of dollars to coach this team. And maybe they just aren't capable of things like "traps" effectively?? But it's confusing why not. and it's more confusing why Rivers was in, then out, then in, then out, then in (I'm serious, this is what he did), with Shumpert being in, then out, then in, then finally out because on the last sub where he replaced Rivers is when GSW went on a quick 6-0 run. Capela was out, then in, then out, then in. CP3, who was sucking, played the whole quarter. Kerr kept it simple and obvious.

dmoneybangbang, Vivi, BigM and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr. Space City

3:18 Harden has Curry on him but Chris Paul takes it onto himself to try and finish over Looney and gets blocked.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

By my calculations. We had 14 possessions (including fouls where we got the ball again)... Harden was the focal point on 7 of those possessions and we got a good look on all 7 of them (I consider the PJ OOB a good look)

In the other 7 possessions we got 2 good looks and we got bailed out twice.

After rewatching it, Harden definitely did not check out. He tried to play within the flow of the offense. It didnt work.

Vivi, durvasa, Denovo and 4 others like this.
  5. rhinomft

rhinomft Member

I’m not going off on officiating this game as is warranted in many others, but one thing I thought was strange were the number of offensive fouls on the rockets where the defender was not set but backpedaling. Seemed like the consistent thing they were looking for was that the offensive player got into the chest of the defender but shouldn’t they have to establish some position?? Anyone else find those calls strange?

dmoneybangbang and s3ts like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

7. Mr. Clutch

Possible yeah,could have swung it to harden there. But he had the open lane on the pass out though. Cp3 just having issues finishing

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

It's also worth noting that the scoring in that span was 18 to 20.

In games 3 and 4 we made stops when we needed to. Last night we didnt.

YOLO likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I know/knew, over the 40+ minutes my vid was burning/uploading, after 20mins of me chopping the source. I was hoping he'd do something, and maybe Coach Nick, too. I applaud Alykhan's breakdowns: We've discussed plays in the past. Many ppl are going to break down the obvious here. I'm too exhaustive to provide mine, because cfnet will just twist it into a narrative, like I have some hidden motive for describing 21-series (Pistol). sigh

So, just wanted to make sure someone on the Internets made a 720p version condensed with just our plays, posted at YT and here for posterity.

cheers

Vivi, Mathloom, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  10. icewill36

icewill36 Member

It’s not the offense really, it’s the fact we didn’t get stops and rebound

BigM, topfive and s3ts like this.
  11. s3ts

s3ts Member

I totally agree. I think this alone caused several TOs for Rockets, and it all goes under the radar.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Thanks for taking the time to do this, HP. Much appreciated.

Roxs-Redemption likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

You can see PJ hesitate for a second, thinking, "No way he's going to shoot it." Without that hesitation, he closes out better and I'm not sure Donkey hits the shot.

That said, I still say in that situation you let Draymond have that shot 10 out of 10 times, because odds are he won't make it.

Also, props to Shumpert for battling for position under the hoop against a much bigger Looney.

Roxs-Redemption, s3ts and BigM like this.
  14. s3ts

s3ts Member

The last few minutes, yes. But GSW closing us out in the final minutes wasn't the biggest problem. It's the fact that we went on a 20-pt deficit in the first half. The rally we had at the end of 2nd quarter, and all through 3rd quarter should've been us building up a safe lead, not us trying to get back into it.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Harden could have been slightly more aggressive but wtf is he supposed to do after carrying them all game?

At some point Clint has to grow a pair and not be a complete b****

And Paul has to make an open 3

D’Antoni could have solved one of these by playing nene the warriors exploited Clint to perfection and exposed this dumbass

Mr. Space City likes this.
  16. Mr. Space City

True.

Rockets defense held the warriors to only 104 points, even with Klay coming out on fire in the first half. The Rockets offense only scored 99 points.

This is on the Rockets O, not D.

TBH the game biggest moments of the game weren’t even these last 7 minutes but the beginning of the 4th quarter. Rockets didn’t capitalize enough off the shock of the warriors and the home crowd after Durant got injured.

s3ts likes this.
  17. heypartner

@Mr. Clutch ... you have a weird way of narrating plays. very narrative.

too tired? That's weird.

That is our standard SLOB play that we did with Ariza, many, many times. Harden backpicks the defender of the inbounds pass ... you must switch this... and we first look for Ariza (here Rivers) for a backdoor to the rim. Secondary is a couple options for Harden. This is one of our favorite plays.

GSW switched it well. And the defense was staying strongside, as Rivers cleared. Harden knew Draymond was not going to follow Rivers all the way through. He had no backdoor. Harden saw the play like a quarterback, and they had plans to attack that zone-ish defense by swinging.

Here's Alykhan Posting it (incorrectly as 21 Series), and I uploaded two options that I discussed here back in 2016.

Roxs-Redemption and BigMaloe like this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Well that's what everyone is saying, he's tired. But then why call the swing? After the switch and rivers clears ( backdoor isn't open), pj Tucker is looking to pass to harden but then harden calls for the swing, so it's not clear they were planning on a swing the whole time.

It ended up a good shot anyway but goes to the question of how much harden was being passive

19. heypartner

Rockets were running their favorite SLOB play. Which means, I can describe to you very clearly every option. Harden getting the ball covered and crowded against the sideline is not one of them. I don't know what to tell you. If you can't look at the two tweets I made with 2 of 3 primary options (a 3rd being an obvious Rivers backdoor), and how they were all covered, then that is why I don't like to share plays much anymore. It's exhausting.

They weren't planning on anything other than going through it's series of options off that SLOB play
    • Option 1: Ariza (here Rivers) gets a backpick from Harden for an easy basket...that simplicity forces the switch
    • Option 2: Harden can seal the switch for a following cut
    • Option 3: Defense doesn't switch and Harden gets a 3.
    • Option 4: action if PJ's man helps.
    And when they snuffed it by overplaying the strongside, PJ should just swing, but he's not a quarterback and didn't see what Harden saw out of the *very common* SLOB play. Harden saw that DG was not going to follow Rivers, so Harden's cut was probably not as advisable as swinging to a 3 on 2 weakside of EGo, Paul and Rivers.

#39 heypartner, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Roxs-Redemption and BigMaloe like this.
  20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

We shouldn’t get down 20, but definitely expected us to be down. They were pumped up in front of their home crowd. We got that back pretty quick though. We had a full 12 minutes with a tie game to make something happen and gave up 32 points. That is unacceptable.

napalm06 likes this.