1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Jackson is worried about MDA late in the game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, May 7, 2019.

1. Earnie Banks

Earnie Banks Member

After last game, the narrative is that the Rockets are playing super physical, even dirty (LOL). Every pundit and Kerr were saying it. This concerns me.

Brace yourselves for GSW "punching back" without any foul calls, and responding with "toughness", while we get called for touch fouls to prevent the "dangerous" Rockets from hurting the Warriors.

They will be allowed to hold and hack on every rebound, and win that coveted rebound battle. We will get over-the-back phantom calls.

I expect full ref ****ery, and it will be covered as "The Warriors responded by being physical and tough".

Little Bit and jnuge90 like this.
  2. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

This doesn't mean JJ is wrong and I always really liked him as a player, but he does have a bit of an axe to grind with MDA since he played for him at the end of his career and ultimately got benched I believe.

biff17 likes this.
  3. biff17

biff17 Member

It seems you have no idea how coaching works or what is actually happening with the Rockets on offensive sets.

That explains a lot.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

So you’re talking about 99% of clutch fans

5. JW86

JW86 Member

It seems you have no idea how coaching works and just trying to be a dick. Explains a lot.

6. SemisolidSnake

My first complaint is continuing to shoot threes with reckless abandon as time winds down when you just need to score anything to keep enough distance to get to the finish. My second one is trading clock for points. This is how teams whittle you down to one possession games in the final seconds and occasionally force OT.

If you're going to run the shot clock down all the way, you need to have some high-percentage plan to score in mind. It's not good enough to just run the clock and just throw up a poorly-chosen shot. You've got to keep scoring. Even if your opponents make all threes, and you make all twos, you can ride it out, but 24 seconds of clock is not worth trading for zero points in the final few minutes.

In the same way, I'd rather the team start driving more and taking easier, closer shots as time runs down in the game. The three is awesome for running up your lead early in the game, but it's still basically a 1 in 3 chance, AND it often kicks the ball out really far, so that the other has a tailor-made fast break. Go drive and get a foul or pull a defender away or take a midrange two, but do something that puts any points on the board. Tune that risk-reward profile down when it's time to just finish.

It analogous to football. When you want (or need) big yards, you throw a pass. When you want better control of the ball and slow, consistent yards, you run the ball. You might sneak in a pass (three in basketball) to keep the other team off guard or if you get a great opportunity, but you don't throw pass after pass in the final minutes of a football game you're winning.

That all said, I don't know whose choice it is to play like that at the end of games: MDA or Harden.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  7. Voltik

Voltik Member

0-27 is from missed calls. That’s a blemish on the refs and partly with tired legs and off night.

Worriers getting back in it is also due to refs. Refs were not allowing Rockets to drive the lane, it was inefficient thus the Rockets going to 3 ball, Worriers were playing tight was also due to this and thus the missed 3s. I am not trying to make excuses but there wasn’t much that can be done when refs swallow the whistle on one end. It was very very blatant stretch of missed calls.

8. Voltik

Voltik Member

I do agree to all your points. However, we know MDA has changed from his Phoenix days with his emphasis on defense, either it is forced from management or from his past failures. He has bought into this concept.

His rotations in the playoffs, espically against Worriers last year, have been short 7-8 man rotations. This year he’s playing Rivers (obvious), Green (limited on performance), Shumpert, and Nene. He didn’t play Nene much last year but more willing this year, even though he’s a year older past retirement. He hasn’t done this in the past.

He has more assistant coaches to listen to and keep eyes on court. That’s more willingness to ATLEAST listen to adjustments from more mouths. In the coaches article, Bzedlick informs defensive schemes to MDA just for formality as he can make adjustments without notifying. That to me reveals not only trust but also open method to coaching.

My major gripe is on timeout calls but he’s slowly improving here also. Ex players comments are good to hear for past insights on MDA but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s try today or to situations.

9. biff17

biff17 Member

Says the guy who obviously does not know that there is no movement with players and is based on Harden knowing were everybody is supposed to be.

That should be obvious to anyone but seems to missed by you.

Now shot selection can be criticized but you are advocating for them to change the entire offense on the fly.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Now you get it? ****ing fans with their smart ass comments, just refusing to see that MDA is costing us.

ramotadab and LosPollosHermanos like this.