1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about this year's draft class?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about this draft now?

1. F - Worst Draft Ever

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. D - Can any of these guys even play?

21 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. C - Will look great in a couple years but we needed starters now

32 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. C+ - Not super excited but in Gaine we trust I guess

34 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. B - Competition at all key positions, no complaints

46 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. B+ - Great job by the Texans, filled up holes with quality players

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. A - In Gaine we trust...again

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. A+ - 7 pro bowlers got drafted today

6 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think they're jumping to that conclusion because of their analysis of the 1st round pick. Most analysts, and apparently some other team execs as well, didn't think Tytus was a first round pick. The consensus is he might end up turning out to be really good but chances are it will take some time. The Texans need a better LT sooner rather than later. The other linemen, based on analysis and projection, are more pro-ready. This is also why a lot of us believe they could have traded down; but maybe a deal wasn't available to be made. But you have to understand post-draft analysis has a lot to do with value. If it is believed where a player is drafted is higher than where he is ranked as a prospect then it isn't regarded as good value.

Also, if the Texans absolutely wanted a LT (not just the best lineman available) then the Howard pick makes a little bit more sense. I've always said this was not a good draft for LT. The best linemen available after Dillard in this draft were RTs or guards. Ford, Taylor, and Risner aren't projected to be Left Tackles. The next best Left Tackles were Greg Little and Tytus Howard. It is possible they favored Tytus over Little and felt they had to get their future LT there. If they had a healthy starter at LT already on the roster, MAYBE they go a different route. I wouldn't call what they did panic though. They did what they had to do due to the roster they had and the lack of reasonable trade down options. Presumably.

Nook, Genesis and red5rocket like this.
  2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

This is what he said about Deshaun Watson after he got drafted:

Yuck. This seems like a major panic move, as the Texans really wanted Pat Mahomes, but couldn't get him because of the Chiefs. Deshaun Watson was graded as a third-round prospect by some of the smartest front offices in the NFL. They didn't like his vision or his inability to progress through reads. He then measured in with the worst ball velocity at the combine, and his Wonderlic score was sub par. This is a major reach, and I hate that Houston surrendered its first-round pick in 2018 to get Watson. The 2018 class is going to be great, and now Houston won't have a pick in the first two rounds next April. That said, this isn't an "F" or even a "D" because the Texans had no other choice. They couldn't start Tom Savage.

So he didnt give a lower grade, just because the Texans had Tom Savage at starting QB.

He almost said the same things:
    " With Dillard gone, the Texans panicked" 2019
    "This seems like a major panic move, as the Texans wanted Pat Mahomes" 2017

"Tytus Howard, who easily could've slipped to the third round." 2019
    "Deshaun Watson was graded as a third-round prospect" 2017

"the Texans made a major reach," 2019
    " This is a major reach, " 2017

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This narrative that the Texans were caught flat-footed by the Eagles and then panicked needs to die. The Ravens offered the Texans the 21st pick - at a steeper price - and the Texans turned them down.

I can't defend that decision, as we have no idea how this will all play out - but the Texans *actively* passed on a trade-up, which should - if you'd bother to listen - reveal two fairly significant things: 1) they were comfortable with Howard in relation to Dillard; 2) they valued that 3rd round pick (and rightfully so).

Also, the evil laugh... Some of you sure seem as if you're actively rooting for the team to fail, or, at the very least, reveling in the negative blowback. And all because they didn't draft the player you, Mr. Couch GM - liked (or, more accurately, had heard of)? That seems like an awful way to fan - but to each their own, I guess.

noscrusir, stevel and csj like this.
  4. Hey Now!

Unfortunately, I can only give your post one LIKE...

These dipshit nobodies who peddle faux "insider" status... Oh, the Texans wanted Mahomes, huh?... How does he know that? And maybe they did - but how did they evaluate Watson in relation to Mahomes? Strike "Mahomes" and replace with "Dillard" and swap "Watson" for "Howard" and same question: how does Walter Football know? (Spoiler: he doesn't. He absolutely, positively doesn't. He has no clue.)

This draft industrial complex is ruining the draft. 90-95% of it is verified bullshit. Evaluations are usually wrong, mocks are almost always wrong, post-draft analysis is usually wrong... These guys are poor man meteorologists without the benefit of an education. They are wrong way more often than not and are never held accountable to any meaningful degree.

The fact that the vast majority of smart GMs often stumble in the draft - despite much greater access to data - should invalidate all these Couch GMs; instead, they've made a killing targeting suckers who want their own limited (and often wrong) opinions validated.

stevel likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Where do you purchase your rose-shaded glasses at?

Nimo has been one of the most positive out-looking fans this whole off-season. Its telling if hes not on board with what theyre doing. This offseason has been a joke and the draft just wasnt good enough to say that that was the correct avenue to improve it. You have been overly optimistic, and Im not saying theres anything wrong with that, but it reserves you no right to call others out if they are on opposite ends.

Nook, cjvnyc, raining threes and 2 others like this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not sure how you translated "bwahahaha" to "actively rooting for the team to fail". I've consistently said I expect them to win the division again this year but somehow you think I'm rooting for them to fail.

You keep saying that we are making assumptions and then you enumerate YOUR assumptions. You're assuming they were comfortable with Howard in relation to Dillard. Maybe that's true. Or maybe they felt that was their next best option and didn't want to risk not getting a good LT in this draft. I've not even bashed them for that decision. If I've given any criticism, it is that I think they put themselves in a position where they had to get a LT in this draft. Everybody and their mama knew it. If they had signed a starting LT, for example, chances are the Eagles aren't even trading up to get Dillard. Chances are they aren't picking Howard at 1-23. If you think Howard was the best player available regardless of position then you are in the minority. And that's okay. Daniel Jeremiah, who has taken Mike Mayock's spot on NFL Network, ranked Howard as #47 (Dillard was #10 and Little was #48) in this draft. Mayock is now a GM for an NFL franchise so take that for what it is. Even John Harris that works for the Texans media. gushed about Dillard (and even Risner) over Howard before the draft. If we go by Jeremiah's rankings, the Texans picked the next best LEFT TACKLE. With the glaring need at that position, they had to. I just wish they didn't have to.

Now you love to bring up the fact that we don't know what we don't know. Yes we don't know the future, we can't tell Tytus Howard's future. No one does. But we can assess on information we do have. It's not perfect and no one has said it is. It is our conclusion or opinion based on our assessment of the information we have. That information we have includes college career performance, film review, stats, performance in big games, measurements, etc. It's not just because I have heard of a player. I don't even like comparing Dillard and Howard; only one of those guys were available when the Texans picked. If we want to know if they made the right pick, we should compare Howard vs Ford, Risner, Little, Baker, Murphy, Greedy, Rock Ya, etc.

I'm still hoping they find some players that will contribute before the season starts.

I really don't get posters that want to bash other posters because they see things differently. You think they are having an awesome offseason, others don't. Big deal. No need to tell them they're wrong in their opinion and tell us just how much better a fan you are. If you ask me, THAT is the "awful way to fan".

7. Hey Now!

No it's not.

I have not been overly optimistic; I'm merely pointing out that judging a team by its offseason output is a meaningless activity, and that has been proven over and over and over and........

We have no idea if the offseason has been a "joke" nor can we say the draft "wasnt good enough." I mean, we *can* - but there's no value in doing so because we don't know anything.

#127 Hey Now!, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  8. Hey Now!

How should we interpret "bwahahaha" being attached to a no-name nobody roasting the Texans' draft?...

I've drawn no assumptions. We *know* that they passed on the chance to move up to 21; that counters much of the silly conjecture being spewed by no-nothing Couch GMs.

Let me stop you: we don't know the past or present, either, in terms of how the Texans evaluated these players. But, go on....

"film review"............. (searches for the largest eye roll emoji available....) YouTube, the choice of Couch GMs everywhere.........

I think they've had an "awesome" offseason? When did I post that?...

I'm trashing posters who are pretending to know more than they do; posters who are promoting those who are pretending to know more than they do. WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. So, sure - have an opinion; cool - I have no issue with that (although... 85-90% of our post-draft opinions are wrong, but, sure... have at it....). But don't base it on bullshit like, The Texans preferred Dillard and Howard is the result of them panicking. There is ZERO evidence to support that conclusion.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

The no-name nobody with a twitter checkmark is so obviously trolling and the laugh was because it would trigger fans, like it did you. It's one thing to give the draft a bad grade or think they could have done better. It's another to say they "blew the draft". You went on this tirade because you misinterpreted my laugh. I post stuff on here all the time that pertains to the Texans, Rockets, and Astros whether I agree or not. Chill. It's not that serious.

Did I miss where someone that works for the Texans or the Ravens admitted that the Texans had a chance to move up to 21? I honestly could have missed it. I've only seen people speculate or assume; but nothing definitive.

Did I say I know how the Texans evaluate the players? In the same post you're quoting, I posted what paid NFL analysts said;

Yes. Film review. Not just mine. But John Harris, Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, etc.

You're doing the most. No one posts on here acting like they know more than they do. They post their opinions and reactions. When you read what Nimo thinks, it's what Nimo thinks. If you don't think highly of Nimo then you don't think highly of Nimo's opinions. So what? If I say the Texans suck, it doesn't mean I am the authority of suckage and I have determined that they suck. It's still my opinion that they suck. If I think the Texans are great, it doesn't mean I am the authority of greatness. It's my opinion that they are great. No one is claiming anything. I have never said I know what the Texans think. We know what we know and we know what several NFL and CFB analysts know. And based on what they know, Tytus was not the #23 overall prospect. Prospect. He might end up being a much better player. We all hope so.

Nook, raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Sorry I missed this earlier. Right after the draft I was asked what I would have done different based on who was available. Here's who I picked.

cjvnyc, Wattafan and red5rocket like this.
  12. csj

csj Member

bwahahaha

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is a draft.

14. raining threes

You've trashed posters for years that disagree with how this cheap and paralyzed franchise goes about their business.

The Texans org hasn't won **** but you've backed their every move for years. With that said, aren't you the least bit disappointed that the team still has major holes and the 2nd most cap space in the NFL? Or that in 2 years Gaine hasn't made one draft day trade? Meanwhile you see the Colts moving all over the board.

You must love Blah/Meh. I bet you're a blast to watch a game with.

Nook likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

he hates BOB a ton anyway; check Walter's other posts. He was killing him even when he was making daily mock drafts

stevel and raining threes like this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

A lot of people don't like BoB. For good reasons.

Nook likes this.
  17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Yeah bwahahaha is right.
    Texans take Two tackles in their first three picks and they blew it - this before we even get to see these guys in action.
    Texans also have too many holes to start trading up for unproven rookies.
    And 6 or more of the top OL in the draft will be gone by pick #54.
    Smh.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Opinions and Assholes....

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I like the Texans draft...

But then, I really don't know what I'm talking about!

I just figured I'd come in and definitively say either pro or con, cause in reality, it's pretty much 50/50, and nobody has a clue, least of all people on the internet who say they have a clue.

stevel and Blatz like this.
  20. Texanstradamus

Unfortunately we won’t know much about this draft until like 2 years from now hopefully it turns out to be one of the best