1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about this year's draft class?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about this draft now?

1. F - Worst Draft Ever

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. D - Can any of these guys even play?

21 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. C - Will look great in a couple years but we needed starters now

32 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. C+ - Not super excited but in Gaine we trust I guess

34 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. B - Competition at all key positions, no complaints

46 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. B+ - Great job by the Texans, filled up holes with quality players

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. A - In Gaine we trust...again

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. A+ - 7 pro bowlers got drafted today

6 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sure could be. Personally I doubt it. It wasn't the only report of Texans targeting Dillard.

2. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Obviously we can't know for sure but the Eagles guessed right so you can be fairly confident many others did too.
    I ask myself, would Texans have taken a big school guy over a small school guy?
    Who is more likely going to be ready to start day 1?
    The fact they did not take Byron Murphy (or Jawaan Taylor for that matter) instead tells me they were locked in on a Left T at #23.
    Seems like a poor backup plan or a kneejerk reaction to take Howard.
    Don't get me wrong, I thought Gaine did well getting JReid in '18, but I reckon he messed up this first pick.
    Now, we wait to see if Howard can vindicate this pick.

Nook, red5rocket and Mr. Clutch like this.
  3. raining threes

I dont give a **** if fans boo, get the best players possible.

Dillard was that guy. IMHO

Nook, Jwise44 and coachbadlee like this.
  4. raining threes

In other words Watson hasn't done much compared to his ability, I think Watson is playing like a young Steve Young in Tampa. Hopefully Howard/Scharping are the guys that can solidify the OL for yr to come and we will find out how good Watson can be.

Wattafan and coachbadlee like this.
  5. raining threes

Because I spent last season staying up past midnight watching Dillard's games.

He was very impressive,

I hope Gaine got his right.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Your evaluation of, well, any prospect, is irrelevant, especially in absence of any counter evaluations. How many games of Howard's did you catch?

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

9. raining threes

You're correct any evaluations and for that matter discussion is irrelevant.

I watched a few highlights of him dominating small school kids. I also watched every Sr. Bowl practice. Howard is an avg athlete who has a lot of catching up to do from what I've seen.

10. AstrosRockets1818

Not sure if posted. But WalterFootball, a guy who basically studies NFL Drafts every year have us an F.

“Goals Entering the 2019 NFL Draft: The Texans have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. They may actually have the worst blocking unit in the league if whatever abomination the Dolphins have is excluded. This must change, as Deshaun Watson will suffer more brutal hits if the blocking doesn't improve. Elsewhere, the Texans must find help at running back, tight end and cornerback.

2019 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Texans once had one of the best front offices in the NFL. They'd routinely find steals like Christian Covington or Arian Foster. That's no longer the case, as Bill O'Brien decided to gut his entire personnel department because he wanted to be surrounded by nothing but "yes men." The results of this were quite apparent in the 2019 NFL Draft, as the Texans came away with arguably the worst draft class this year.

I have to wonder if Houston had any sort of Plan B at No. 23 overall. It seemed like Andre Dillard would fall to them, but the Eagles traded up and snatched the Washington State tackle off the board. With Dillard gone, the Texans panicked and made a major reach, selecting Alabama State tackle Tytus Howard, who easily could've slipped to the third round. And if that wasn't bad enough, the Texans followed that up with two horrible reaches in the second frame, taking cornerback Lonnie Johnson and guard Max Scharping too early as well.

Of Houston's seven picks, only two were graded above a "C." This is the sort of thing that happens when a power-hungry individual dismisses all of his talented personnel men. The sooner the Texans fire O'Brien, the better off they'll be. “
    Walter football

Nook, arkoe, red5rocket and 4 others like this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Is that all?

12. showa13

showa13 Member

It has. He also basically gave the Deshaun Watson pick an F as well, so take that for what it’s worth.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

oh there's more. But they can just hire me as GM and it will solve all their problems.

red5rocket and coachbadlee like this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Walter predicted Texans would be super bowl contenders last year. They said the talent is there. I guess they know see OBrien is an idiot

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That escalated quickly...

He may ultimately be right (I'll call bullshit on the third round comment, re: Howard) - but does he honestly expect anyone to take his analysis seriously? It's an assassination attempt disguised as analysis.

raining threes likes this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Better yet, they should just check Clutchfans as much as possible.

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

They probably do. They're probably rolling around in laughter that after all these years we still have no clue who really runs the show between coach/gm/owner.

18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I would have immediately taken Murphy at that point and take two OL in the second. Scharping and Edoga or McGovern would not be too shabby.
    What about you?

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

bwahahaha

20. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Bleh. I really hate this "panic" narrative that some media is peddling around. I'm sure after months and months of planning, they didn't have several contingency plans... :rolleyes:

Hey Now! likes this.