1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A lineup change in order for G3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, May 1, 2019.

1. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I agree .Mda might not make this change but in any case this lineup is necessary. The only thing is the Rockets have to aggressively get in the lane. To put pressure on their rim protector if they have that personell

2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Great call. The truth of the matter is their small ball line rebounds better than ours and MDA got caught of guard by that detail and has not adjusted. He is getting out coached in this regard. He has got to trust his team a little bit more while keeping the lineup as a threat.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. smp

smp Member

This is very true. 3>2 when it comes to scoring, But 4>1 when counting Allstars and that matters most.

GS is the better team. They will win the series and go on to win another ring and like you said, nobody should be surprised even a little.

The question is how competitive can the Rockets make it? I think GS saves their best for us. They get bored picking on scrub teams all the time and mail it in, which is why the Clips stole a couple of games. I think we get 1 game at home with a lot of help from the refs. The league will try to extend this series if they can.

Vivi likes this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

We would be up 2-0 if House wasn't playing like a D-League dweeb

5. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

Some Hartenstein please. Play him against Loony. And Stop going ultra small with Tucker at the 5. That lineup gets roasted by Golden State. We are getting out rebounded by a team that lost Boogie Cousins. We should play big with Hartenstein who can also shoot 3's. Hello! Big man can shoot 3's...play him already!

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I know we play a switching defense, but how bout more Capela on KD? He’s a good defender and athletic enough to stay with him and he’s the only person with length who can.

We have zero answer for KD right now so how bout getting creative coach? Adjustments coach, adjustments!

7. rockets13champs

Why can’t we use our
    Capela-Faried-Tucker-Harden-Paul lineup. Gordon and river off the bench with nene and maybe house or shump with spot mins

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Like some have said the only logical thing to do is start FAreid and that goes against everything my mind and body are telling me. House is unplayable and so is Fareid, but at least Manimal gives you the chance to rebound vs getting completely abused on the boards as has been the case. No way in hell can you continue to allow GS double digit offensive rebounding compounded by the worst turnover rate of the season and House isnt shooting the ball at an efficient enough clip to warrant getting more time. He's shrinking in the moment.

Moving forward these are the only guys that should be getting burn

Starting 5: CAp, FAreid, CP, Tuck, James
    Bench: Gordon, Nene, Rivers, Green, House (in that order)

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Nene is probably the only player able to box out consistently and put Draymond in his place, but you just can't play him much for multiple reasons, he will be killed on the perimeter possession after possession and we don't even know if he can play in two consecutive games. We could try Faried at the 4 like someone mentioned, but sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, offense already looks meh, same for the defense, and you play Faried at the 4 which means even less spacing (unless we're confident he can stretch the floor/shoot well enough) and poor rotations on D, good luck with that.

One thing i noticed in this game though, is that our perimeter players looked way more letargic than Iguodala, Curry, Thompson etc when it was time to grab a wandering ball or a long rebound...CP3 can't really move as well at this point, James is not exactly responsive, Eric is a poor rebounder and usually not that quick in taking control of the ball in general...everyone just has to do a better job there. House and Clark could help a bit too but eh...

Yep, which is exactly the same thing we did for most of the season, and for them is also kinda understandable since they have been at the top for years.

10. Zergling

Zergling Member

We can't have him be our 5, but our numbers have been fine when he's at the 4. Either way, let him be part of a rotation that craters before permabenching him. It makes zero sense to play him just 5 minutes

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

The biggest change that should happen is to play Schumpert DNP minutes.

The only positive thing I can say about him in these two games is that he hasn't been afraid to shoot open jumpers. But they are wide open for a reason ...

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

PJ should not be doing anything except sticking to Durant. If PJ has to help anyone, we're f***ed.

There is no way to start Faried and Harden and remain a respectable defensive team, no matter how many rebounds he gets.

We discussed this ad nauseam throughout the season. Objectively, statistically, beyond a shadow of a doubt, defense is significantly more correlated to wins than rebounds are correlated to wins. If we must choose between the 2, we always pick defense. It's not confusing to me why we haven't played Faried more, I'm sure they're more aware of these things than I am.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

As long as the Warriors start their Hampton's Five lineup, we have to bench Capela. Against that lineup, he's too slow and the alley oops aren't working.

http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20190430&game=HOUGSW

^ From my estimate of looking at how all the lineups did, good thing about Capela even in Game 2 is despite finishing a horrible -19, his +/- was a +3 when Looney or Bogut were on the court. So once again, he thrives against more traditional bigs but the Warriors' death lineup kills him.

The answer is clear -- keep him on the bench and put him anytime the Warriors play Looney or Bogut.

Another adjustment, guards may want to stop with the lob passes to him unless he's wide open. Right now it seems like he can't catch, finish, or make free throws. Let him use his energy to grab rebounds and block shots.

RyanB and hakeem94 like this.
  14. rocks123

rocks123 Member

rebounding has always been our problem. i thought the reason we got faried is to get rid of that problem. oh well...

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Insert House for what? dude has been terrible in the playoffs and absolutely lost out on the floor in this GS series.

16. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Leave Shumpert in the Bay Area.

CriscoKidd likes this.
  17. rocks123

rocks123 Member

the problems with close game the adjustments can be very tricky. especially in our case where we really just lose in the first quarter and thats because of our turnovers. i guess sometimes its better to lose in high variance then the coach will be forced to really think of major changes to the line up than just maybe we just need to hustle more.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not to toot ones on horn, but

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/our-forwards.289554/

That's from a year ago, not that i was revolutionary. The Rockets haven't had a legit forward in YEARS. Or longer.

You might say, "really? what about Ariza, or Battier, or Scola!!"

Well. Ok. I guess. Not really amazing. But serviceable and certainly at their peaks better than what we have now. And yes, Ron Artest gave us 17/5/3 with good defense one year. And I'm not going to be a hater... Chandler Parsons in year 3 for Houston actually legitimately was legit. And honestly, ignoring the "math" of the Rockets current offensive efficiency, that year was maybe peak enjoyable Rockets offense for me. Their 111 ORtg pales in comparison to the 114.7+ they peaked at last year, but it was so so so much more enjoyable to watch. You had an ACTUAL size appropriate forward, who could hit a three, but much more importantly slash the lane, run a fast break, easily dunk the ball, lol

Here's a good rule of thumb... if the best press you get about a player is along the lines of "you might not see it out there, but this guy is secretly awesome!!" - insert Tucker, Ariza, Battier types - the reality is they're just ok players trying hard.

DM has had the heat taken off his back the last 3-4 months because of shrewd in season moves. But if we're placing blame again, he's got to be close to the front of the pack. On a team already sucking at forward, he went with James Ennis and Melo, only to replace them during the year with Danuel House (who I love and sure he's not been great... he's an undrafted G League basically rookie, lol), Iman Shumpert and Faried.

They started the year at PF with PJ Tucker and NO ONE.

But don't worry... we still have 4 solid guards, plus Gerald Green, who plays SF but honestly is as close to a SG game wise as you'll ever see... he only shoots, threes.... no slashing, doesn't rebound well, doesn't defend well, can't slide to PF in spot minutes, etc.

Such a long post to say...

OK. Change the lineup to CP3, Harden, Tucker, Faried, Capela to start. That's not going to work, either, for OTHER reasons.

MDA clearly gets outcoached at times. But he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Last night Capela a was -19. The Rockets got it close to down 3, then Capela "fell asleep" on a pick and Steph got a wide open 3. So MDA replaced Capela to go small. That failed. First game, they couldn't get a board, so he put Nene in at the end, that failed.

One, the other team is historically good.

Two, MDA can only play what he's been given.

It's DM's job to surround Harden and CP3 with balanced talent. If he can't do that because of poor decisions, he needs to take heat. If there's a financial element (luxury tax) to that, the owner should take heat... and frankly if I'm DM I'd start looking around.

topfive likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Interesting. I’ve always advocated for Gordon to play 6th man again. House can defend Iggy. But I like the big lineup Houston toyed with in their last win against the Warriors. Faried at 4 and capela at the 5. You can’t try to match the Hampton 5 lineup but u can neutralize it with bigs which clog up spacing. We are giving up too much space right now abdno one to rebound.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The biggest problem I see in this series is Capela and the lack of a quality backup other than Nene.

Capela is playing like a rookie. Very timid and lost.

Nene is actually giving us much more than I hoped. But he just can't play a lot, and he can't guard the perimeter in our switch defense. So what do they do? They play small ball with Tucker at the 5 and get killed on the board.

Playing Faried might be a better solution. Faried is not a good man defender. Put him on Draymond. Let Capela guard Durant and play Tucker at the 3.