1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about this year's draft class?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 27, 2019.

?

How do you feel about this draft now?

1. F - Worst Draft Ever

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. D - Can any of these guys even play?

21 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. C - Will look great in a couple years but we needed starters now

32 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. C+ - Not super excited but in Gaine we trust I guess

34 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. B - Competition at all key positions, no complaints

46 vote(s)
    28.2%
  6. B+ - Great job by the Texans, filled up holes with quality players

9 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. A - In Gaine we trust...again

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. A+ - 7 pro bowlers got drafted today

6 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. raining threes

Not true at all

2. Anonymous8

Anonymous8 Member

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Pointing out that some rando on a message board is overstepping their depth of knowledge has nothing to do with shilling for the Texans.

Their evaluations are meaningless; the only evaluations that matter are the Texans', which none of us have access to.

We don't know anything - but here's something we know.........

coachbadlee likes this.
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Just for reference:

[​IMG] Houston Texans: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson: C- Grade

Yuck. This seems like a major panic move, as the Texans really wanted Pat Mahomes, but couldn't get him because of the Chiefs. Deshaun Watson was graded as a third-round prospect by some of the smartest front offices in the NFL. They didn't like his vision or his inability to progress through reads. He then measured in with the worst ball velocity at the combine, and his Wonderlic score was sub par. This is a major reach, and I hate that Houston surrendered its first-round pick in 2018 to get Watson. The 2018 class is going to be great, and now Houston won't have a pick in the first two rounds next April. That said, this isn't an "F" or even a "D" because the Texans had no other choice. They couldn't start Tom Savage.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades2017.php

#84 gucci888, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    RocketJedi, csj, awc713 and 4 others like this.
  5. Hey Now!

The draft is almost literally a no-win situation for teams. Fans would've absolutely been apocalyptic had they dealt draft capital to move up one space; had they stayed where they were; had they traded back.

Remember, all these genius message board GMs hated/booed the JJ Watt pick because they spent 20 minutes of YouTube and they think that makes them an expert.

csj likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This guy should have lost his job immediately.

Fulgore likes this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think it would have a big deal had they moved back after the Dillard pick. They would have at least gotten more picks.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

3rd round prospect lmfao

Wattafan likes this.
  9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Just think someone is actually paying him to be that f-ing dumb. Amazing

coachbadlee likes this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think someone in the Texans organization did him wrong and he hasn't forgotten. He's not that bad outside of the Texans. I think he had the most accurate of all the mock drafts this year.

whag00 and raining threes like this.
  11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

well I wouldnt give him an A based on his production so far either. Sure he doesnt got a top oline and great receivers, but I wouldnt say he's that much off from the predraft C grade.

12. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I am still having doubts about the first pick.
    Tytus Howard may yet turn out to be a probowl caliber LT and I really hope he does.
    However, and I understand letting the draft come to you and keeping all your picks, but when you got jumped by Philly and lost your best hope for your #1 pick, I think you have to either go to your next highest need or pick a guy you think can be a starter on day 1.
    There was a player on the board that fit both those criteria - Byron Murphy.
    I would have been satisfied with Jawaan Taylor at that point also, but I think Mr. Gaine lost sight of first round draft philosophy by reaching for Howard.
    I pray he proves me wrong, but who here would not be a lot happier had we taken Murphy instead @#23?

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Are you serious? Considering what hes done with what he has, Deshaun gets an A+++++++. The kid has broken records with a terrible o-line and one of the worst coaching staffs ever assembled.

Fulgore likes this.
  14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

I give him a B. What "record" he's broken? How did he do in big game aka Indy game in the playoff?

15. showa13

showa13 Member

Before tearing his ACL he was on pace to shatter every rookie QB record in the book. Last year he became the first QB to throw for 4,000 and 25+ TDs and run for 500 and 5+ TDs. If you redid the draft from that year there’s no way he’s not at minimum the 2nd pick.

Sure he played bad in his first playoff game, but quite a few players have played bad in their first playoff game. He’s still an A grade player and it’s very obvious his pre draft evaluation and analysis was overly critical in certain aspects.

And that’s how draft classes should be viewed. Let’s wait until they’re on the field before we call it a horrible draft or say they’re busts. Sure Tytus looks like a reach now, but if he turns into a pro-bowler or more it’ll look like a steal. I’ll wait till I see them on the field. My only concern is Devlin seems like he doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Why not? and Fulgore like this.
  16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Even the author changed it an A+ after year one. But anyways just shows the ridiculousness of draft grades, especially ones as extreme as this. Btw, he also gave the Mahomes pick a C+, although for different reasons.

Fulgore likes this.
  17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Is that you Walter?

Fulgore likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

Quick question... uhm, how do you, message board poster, know that Dillard was their "best hope" for the #1 pick? Or that Howard wasn't #1a? Or, #1 and Dillard was #1a?

How do you know ANYTHING other than the bullshit people like Mel Kiper schlep to people who post on message boards?......

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No one knows for sure, it was reported that other teams believed the Texans wanted Dillard, which is why the Eagles jumped right in front of them to take Dillard.

Wattafan likes this.
  20. Hey Now!

Right. And how do we know that wasn't smoke to get people off Howard's scent?

Why not? likes this.