1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

To me it wasn't just the Tytus pick. It was where we pick our players mostly. IMO, Tytus could have been had in the 2nd. Sharping probably could have been picked in the 3rd-4th. They knew day 1 that they were going to get 2 DBs. Why not get them both in the 2nd. They could have gotten Johnson and Layne, Love, Williams or Long in the 2nd. It seems like they reached in both rounds 1and 2 and said screw it or got lucky the rest of the way.
    Plain and simple, they went into this draft without a plan. We on Clutchfans had better plans than they did. F'in Eagles!!!!

houstonstime likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Well the NFL analytics, very "educated opinions" graded it as below average (in comparison, Titans and Jags got above average and Colts got average).

I'm sure 2 or 3 of these players will be great in a few years and everyone will call this a pretty good draft then ignoring the ignored needs of the 2019 team. The Texans drafted like they won free agency.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Rick Smith gave us Zach Cunningham and D'onta Foreman to go with Deshaun Watson right before he left. The Decoud pick was curious but that might be the best draft of this young franchise.

coachbadlee likes this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Thats fine, we can cherry pick drafts if you want.. There was also Xua-filo, Nix, hell 2015: Kevin Johnson, Mckinney -good pick, Jaelen Strong, Keith Mumphery, Reshard Cliett, Christian Covington, Kenny Hilliard... Like good GOD that year SUCKED....

Edit: Just saying, don't take away from Gaine last year because you don't agree with this year.

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

BoB probably knows that he has such leeway with this mediocre franchise, that he could grab long term project since hes gonna b with us regardless of the results. U figured if his job was in any danger no way in hell he would allow gaines to grab long term project or raw players.

Pringles and coachbadlee like this.
  6. csj

csj Member

Curious, then, that nothing you said contradicts anything I said. Not surprising considering the condescension associated with your posts. It's tragic how you think what you say is of value.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Now who's cherry picking?

Nimo likes this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

That was the point.. I was cherry picking cuz he did..

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Oh yeah. I'm very aware of Rick Smith's shortcomings lol. My point was to counter "single good pick after the 1st round" and point out the irony that he might have done his best job on the way out.

And I might have been in the minority that wasn't too impressed with last year's draft outside of Justin Reid. So at least I'm consistent lol

houstonstime likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I mean he was a top 10 pick, just in round 2 heh

coachbadlee likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. xaos

xaos Member

How did the Texans do?

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Meh

raining threes and xaos like this.
  15. raining threes

Perfect description

I do like the Scharping/Warring/Omenihu picks.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/i...-execs-unfiltered-every-team-2019-draft-class

NFL execs unfiltered on every team's 2019 draft class

The 2019 NFL draft was filled with intrigue, surprises and a number of selections that had fans buzzing during the event and afterward. But were those picks really so questionable?

Coaches, executives and evaluators have their opinions as well -- opinions I've pulled together for this 32-team draft review. It's an inside look at the debates and conversations taking place inside team headquarters around the league.

Houston Texans

The Texans looked smart two years ago for trading up ahead of Arizona to select quarterback Deshaun Watson with the 12th overall choice. They appeared less apt this year when Philadelphia traded ahead of them to select tackle Andre Dillard, if you buy the widely held assumption that Dillard was preferable to the tackle Houston selected one spot later, Tytus Howard.

"Houston was clearly going to take a tackle at that spot," an evaluator said. "That is part of the reason Philly jumped them. Maybe Houston tried to trade down at that point, but why not move back a few spots to take Howard later? I just don't think any team was going to take him there."

Howard might wind up being better than Dillard. The Texans could have had him rated higher. But that was not how execs saw the situation at this early stage.

"I actually really like Howard, but I think he is a year away," one exec said.

Howard was not the only player the Texans selected. Asked to size up their draft, a GM from a playoff team said one player's potential stood out.

"The one with a lot of potential is [third-round tight end Kahale] Warring from San Diego State," this GM said. "He is a freak athlete who is going to need to be coached up."

red5rocket likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

It looks like executives around the league agree with ClutchFans.

Mr. Clutch and red5rocket like this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

I wish the Texans "inside the war room" video was more like this. A lot of detail about the pick and trade options and reaction:

or even this:

The Texans' seemed like a prep video convincing us (even though they're not looking at the camera) that this was a good pick. Not sure who Gaine was talking to when he was giving his "this guy passed the test" speech.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No enthusiasm, no kind of excitement whatsoever. Just boring.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Wade Smith on Tytus Howard/Max Scharping (excerpts from Friday on 610AM)

[​IMG]

Frank Drebin likes this.