1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

JVG nailed it

Why not? likes this.
  4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Super Bowl now? :D

5. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

This draft is going to cost someone their job in Houston. With no movement in free agency they needed a homerun draft. They tried instead for a bunt single and tripped on the way to first. Absolute catastrophe of a draft. I hate to admit this, the team was in better hands with Rick and its not close. Not a single one of these picks was looked at favorably and will need luck to pan out to be serviceable. The nightmare offseason continues with the dumbest people in the room believing they are the smartest.

Eagles took our guy round 1 and we panicked. Had opportunities to trade down after, couldnt pull the plug.

Im not one to tell people what to do with their money, but I think its sincerely time that this team suffers the price of mismanagement. I dont even want to get started on Bob's final stupid legacy with the "jersey change".

True story: they paid a design team to come up with putting the logo on the back. Have fun with that knowledge.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

JVG is Houston treasure and should never have to pay for a meal in this town.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

For the most part we have no idea scouting players or coaching them up to the pro level. For drafting Reid, Jordan Thomas, Ejiofor, and to a lesser extent Rankins and Akins, with no first or second round pick last year Gaine deserves the benefit of the doubt there.

Does he come across as a noob though for not only getting traded in front of repeatedly, but also being seemingly incapable of any kind of draft mobility (trades up or down) whatsoever? ...yes. One wonders if we could have traded down 5-10 spots and ended up with the same picks, plus a couple extra ones in the 4th-6th.

texans1095 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/i...es-mel-kiper-all-32-classes-best-picks-steals

2019 NFL draft grades: Mel Kiper on all 32 classes, best picks and steals

So long, 2019 NFL draft. What a wild ride throughout Rounds 1-7, with some quarterback surprises, trade drama and several top prospects who slipped out of the first round.

So which team had the best class?

A reminder: What I do here is assess two main things, using my own player grades as the prism:

How effectively did a team address key personnel holes?
    How efficient were they in maneuvering on the draft board?

Grading scale:
    In my mind an A means it's exceptional;
    a B is pretty good;
    a C is average, with hits and questions marks;
    a D means below average with some big questions.
    And, c'mon -- I'm not going to give out an F.

Let's go from best class to worst class, with teams with the same grades in alphabetical order. Check out Todd McShay and I discussing these grades on ESPN 2 at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Indianapolis Colts: A
    Cincinnati Bengals: A-
    Cleveland Browns: A-
    New England Patriots: A-
    Washington Redskins: A-
    Arizona Cardinals: B+
    Baltimore Ravens: B+
    Buffalo Bills: B+
    Chicago Bears: B+
    Denver Broncos: B+
    Pittsburgh Steelers: B+
    Atlanta Falcons: B
    Jacksonville Jaguars: B
    Miami Dolphins: B
    Minnesota Vikings: B
    New York Jets: B
    Oakland Raiders: B
    Philadelphia Eagles: B
    Seattle Seahawks: B
    Tennessee Titans: B
    Dallas Cowboys: B-
    Detroit Lions: B-
    Kansas City Chiefs: B-
    Los Angeles Rams: B-
    San Francisco 49ers: B-
    Carolina Panthers: C+
    Green Bay Packers: C+
    Houston Texans: C+

Top needs: Offensive line, running back, wide receiver

When I played general manager earlier this month and did a three-round "Grade: A" mock draft, I wrote that Houston should use two of its first three picks -- it has an extra second-round pick as part of the Duane Brown trade with Seattle -- on offensive linemen. The need was that great. Obviously Brian Gaine felt the same way as he and the Texans took tackles at No. 23 (Tytus Howard) and No. 55 (Max Scharping) to try to help a porous line that allowed 62 sacks and a 41-percent pressure rate last season, which both ranked last in the league.

My issue here? Both were reaches on my board. I had third-round grades on each, and they were my 8th and 10th-ranked tackles, respectively. It's particular rich for Howard, who is extremely raw. He was a 6-foot-3, 235-pound high school quarterback five years ago, and now he's a first-round offensive tackle. I said on air that his ceiling is Terron Armstead, but that's if he maxes out all of his talent. There's still a ways to go. Scharping has more seasoning, as he started 53 games on the right side for the Huskies.

Cornerback Lonnie Johnson Jr. (No. 54) will compete for early playing time in a new-look secondary, while Kahale Warring (No. 86) has a ton of talent. He's raw. Charles Omenihu (No. 161) didn't test well at the combine and grades out as a rotational player. I'm curious why Houston didn't target a receiver on Day 3, too.

You can see what Gaine and the Texans did with this class, as these are toolsy prospects. I just have to quibble with value.

Los Angeles Chargers: C+
    New Orleans Saints: C+
    New York Giants: C+
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers: C+

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm willing to bet Rick Smith had a hand in helping him with drafting last season. No way you go from a draft that good to a draft this mediocre.

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So, rick Smith, who didn’t have a single good pick past the first round. Helped last year when we had amazing picks in only rounds 3+... ok.

I’m not happy with this draft, but let’s not just push narratives that don’t make sense.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just wondering, if we switch Tytus Howard with Andre Dillard, does this become an awesome draft? Both on clutchfans as well as the draft analysts?

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Probably. People would be talking about how we stole Dillard, picking him that low when he was probably #1 on our board.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

coachbadlee likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

coachbadlee likes this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Draft grades. Y’all should research how draft grades from Kiper and others actually translate to wins. You will find they don’t. Kiper is famously says “never draft a RB in the first round”. This was talking about The Cowboys taking Zeke at #4. This people y’all are listening to never played in the NFL, never coached in the NFL, and are basically guessing based on numbers without true analytical background (unlike someone such as Daryl Morey). There grades are opinions....mostly uneducated ones. The only ones grades that matter come from the NFL team owners. If GMs and coaches get it right, they keep their jobs. If they don’t.......

stevel likes this.
  16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    By not selecting a WR or RB, perhaps that means the front office believes that Will Fuller is on the physical road to recovery and that D'Onta Foreman is finally going to contribute. Or it could mean we desperately couldn't live without another developmental TE and a hard-working walk-on fullback and there was no room for WRs or RBs.

GOOD DAY

DaDakota and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just funny that one pick out of 7 and we would go from a C+ to an A. But I wish we got him too.

18. csj

csj Member

You do realize that fullbacks ARE running backs and that drafted fullbacks are, by definition, not walk-ons? You mean former college walk-on? Then that must mean you believe JJ Watt was a wasted pick as well.

19. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

The Texans have kept their "A+" grade from you despite never winning anything, so your theory as to accountabily is complete BS.

Nimo likes this.
  20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Educational Post]
    No, I'm sorry young man, but your are incorrect. What you are not grasping is that the Texans very rarely utilize a FB in their offense. Gillaspia was picked for special teams and frankly for team spirit. Cynically, it was throwing a bone to the A&M fans in the Texans fan base. I characterized it beautifully yesterday by describing the selection as "pure charity".

Listen, I hope Gillaspia succeeds, my beef with the pick is that it was bad value. We could have easily picked him up as an UDFA and given his hometown roots, he would have gleefully signed. We were certainly not at risk of losing him to another team's selection during the remainder of the 7th round. The draft is all about maximizing positional value. I don't feel as though this was done overall for the 2019 draft and obviously it wasn't done with the Gillaspia choice. I hope he succeeds.

GOOD DAY