1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. CallMeTheDream

The thing is the Texans are looking past all the bonafide skill. They want to “develop” players while they’ve shown little to no ability to do it. Way too much talent left on the boards for reaches and project players. That TE pick was unacceptable

coachbadlee, red5rocket and Gray_Jay like this.
  2. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Who would you all say the Texans have "developed" since they arrived in Houston? I'm sure there must have been somebody, but I'm drawing a blank, trying to think of guys the Texans coaching staff developed from raw talent into good NFL players.

I agree with @coachbadlee. I'm also tired of the word, "versatile," for linemen. Find the position the guy is supposed to play, and leave him there, for crying out loud.

I'll reiterate what I wrote in the Tytus Howard thread: the Texans are supposedly in a win-now two year window before they must pay Watson. They also had one of the worst offensive lines in football last year. Both things counsel against drafting projects with a team's early draft picks, when capable immediate starters with less upside were also available. IMHO.

3. CallMeTheDream

What time does Day 3 start?

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not for a team that needed players to plug in right away. Dillard and Ford are more ready now than Howard. Ya-Sin and Baker are more ready than Lonnie. Damien Harris is more ready now than Warring. The Texans drafted like they were defending champs.

CallMeTheDream and coachbadlee like this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

AFC South Division Champs Bryan!

CallMeTheDream and coachbadlee like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

4PM Greenwich Mean Time

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

AJ Bouye. Duane Brown. Derek Newton. Whitney. Hal. Arian? Kareem? Blackson? Griffin?

But agreed on missing on immediate starters.

Dubious, kaleidosky and Gray_Jay like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

What the previous coaching staffs did isn't really relevant.

I can think of Hal, Scarlett, Bouye under O'Brien. Trying very hard to think of an offensive player.

9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Bouye is obvious in retrospect. Kicking myself for not thinking of him. Brandon Brooks maybe?

10. Fantasma Negro

You need to watch tape on Kahale Warring, he’s an upgrade at tight end and he happens to have ridiculous upside. But he will be fighting for playing time in training camp and his presence on this team will make two other tight ends on the roster dispensable

#1890 Fantasma Negro, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Red.Glare and King1 like this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

No disagreement here. I'm not even tripping about using a 3rd pick for him. The problem is they need more bodies at CB, RB, S, and DT. You could argue G too before TE.

CallMeTheDream and red5rocket like this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

Based on what?
    I agree there is a need at safety that must be addressed immediately but there are four rounds and a lot of talent on the board along with undrafted guys to get another corner, back and lineman

#1892 Fantasma Negro, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    King1 likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Potential!
    Upside!
    Versatility!

14. showa13

showa13 Member

I think there’s an overreaction to the whole ‘development’ thing. 98% of players drafted need some level of development for the next level. Few players are ‘plug and play’ players, which is why they’re drafted in the first part of the first round. We’ve got more bodies on the oline and while Tytus was a slight reach I like our other picks.

kaleidosky and No Worries like this.
  15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Snell would be cool, I also wouldnt mind Hunter Renfrow as Coutee insurance and Watson LOVED him. Other than that, S,CB,IDL

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

A dream for me to end the draft would be Isaiah Johnson, Snell & Renfrow

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well at least we can throw out any notion that the FO was clueless about the OL. Was just hoping to find one starter at OT and think we may have gotten one in Sharping (RT). Warring could be a sneaky good weapon for Watson. Any immediate contribution from Howard would be icing on the cake IMO.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Damn butler and that Florida safety gone

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

There goes love and hill

20. mario_v

mario_v Member

I really like Jordan Thomas so I don’t understand why they would draft another te this early.

Third round is too early to draft a project TE.