1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Late Night Woj Bomb) Tobias Harris traded to Philly.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 6, 2019.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

xaos likes this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You don't need to be real fast when "catching lobs" really just means you tipped it in. Where's bbholic at? Capela wasting all that energy jumping makes him terrible at rebounds, right?

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tobias Harris Expected To Receive Interest From 76ers, Grizzlies, Jazz, Mavs, Nets

Tobias Harris is expected to receive significant interest in free agency this offseason.

While the Philadelphia 76ers will attempt to re-sign Harris following their midseason acquisition, the Memphis Grizzlies, Utah Jazz, Dallas Mavericks and Brooklyn Nets are also expected to pursue Harris.

“It would be selfish of me to not come into this situation with an open mind to make this work for the long term,” Harris told The Athletic in March. “That’s where my mindset is at. I’m a loyal guy to where I am, and if I feel that loyalty back, that is how I operate. For me, it’s just making it work here and figuring out how it will go. So far, it’s been really good. Gotta show that loyalty.”

malakas and Vivi like this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I feel like the Sixers will be forced to max (ouch) him if they want to keep him...teams like Utah, Dallas and Memphis will be probably desperate enough to do it in order to add the best player they can since stars won't sign with them, Harris looks like exactly a guy who's going to get overpaid.

malakas likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Multiple max contract offers will be coming.

I'm sure the Sixers will offer him the max to retain him.

I just have had this strong feeling that the Sixers front office has set into motion the destruction of what Hinkie built within the last 12 months.

They dealt almost all their assets for Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris. Both are free agents and will demand max money and neither really solves the Sixers biggest issues.

I find it hard to believe the Sixers can pay both Harris and Butler max money.... and keep Embid and Simmons at max money.

So in the end, the Sixers ended up way overpaying for at least one rental.

Their cap is going to be screwed, their collection of assets is dwindled and they have a team that really doesn't fit well together.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Elton Brand is a dreadful GM.

malakas likes this.
  8. Fish36floor

Fish36floor Member

Harris real value = 4 years 75 million
    new contract = 4 years 150 million

same with Butler.

Rocket River and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed.

Disagree.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

The Clippers wisely traded Tobias Harris at the trade deadline when Harris' turned down the Clipper’s extension offer of 4 years $80 million. In this 2019, the Clippers will likely look to unload Danilo Gallinari's contract in order to free up what would be two max contracts slots for 2019 free agency. Teams should consider Gallo as an alternative to Tobias, since Gallo basically gives you 85 percent of the production that Tobias does, at what would be 50 percent of the cost.

ramotadab and Vivi like this.
  11. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Tobias Harris is going to be the next Rashard Lewis (H-Town Legend). Soon to be so overpaid. Glad it wont be the Rockets or Clippers....

[​IMG]
    There's magic in the air as Rashard Lewis, flanked by Orlando GM Otis Smith, left, and coach Stan Van Gundy, airs his new threads. Associated Press

$118 million

Rashard Lewis believes he shouldn't be blamed for the six-year, $118 million contract he signed with the Orlando Magic in the summer of 2007. “Talk to the owner. He gave me the deal,” Lewis said.Sep 21, 2011

“Talk to the owner. He gave me the deal,” Lewis said. “When it comes to contracts, the players aren’t sitting there negotiating that contract. I’m sitting at home and my agent calls me, saying, ‘I got a max on the table.’ I’m not going to sit there and say, ‘Naw, that’s too much. Go out there and negotiate $20 or $30 [million] less.’ ”

ramotadab likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He about to get one of those Harrison Barnes contracts.

Rocket River

Clips/Roxfan likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.philly.com/sixers/tobia...ings-mavericks-mavs-jazz-pacers-20190521.html

According to several sources, the Sacramento Kings, Dallas Mavericks, Utah Jazz, Indiana Pacers and Brooklyn Nets are among the teams that will all go after the forward in free agency. All five teams can offer maximum-salary contracts.

By trading for Harris, the Sixers acquired his Bird rights. That enables them to offer him a five-year, $188 million max contract.

Teams that don’t have his rights are only able to offer Harris a four-year, $141 million max contract in free agency. The Sixers will most likely have to offer the five-year maximum for him to stay.

Right now, Embiid is the unquestioned franchise player. Depending on the night or situation, Harris is, at best, the third or fourth option.

However, he could opt to go some place where he would be the unquestioned focal point of a team.

In addition to opportunity, pursuit of an NBA title and a max contract, Harris, a high-character guy, longs to play for a squad with a great chemistry. The Sixers had some chemistry issues this season.

Harris’ departure would be a major blow, considering what they gave up to acquire him.

Vivi likes this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

The Sixers will most likely have to offer the five-year maximum for him to stay.

However, he could opt to go some place where he would be the unquestioned focal point of a team.

Not sure what's going to be worse, the contract the Sixers are probably going to give him, or the eventual team that would make him the unquestioned focal point of their offense.

BigShasta likes this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Seems like they'll also do everything they can to keep Harris, not shocking considerign what they traded for him though.

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/tob...ft-brothers-terry-tyler-workout-20190602.html

The 76ers are taking a look at Tobias Harris’ younger brothers.

Tyler Harris, 24, participated in the Sixers’ free-agent workouts on Friday and Saturday at the practice facility in Camden. Terry Harris, 22, will partake in the team’s predraft workout Monday at the facility.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sixers have to decide between Simmons and Harris imo. They cannot commit major dollars to two hugely flawed players. Simmons can not shoot at all and Harris is incapable of being part of a cohesive defensive unit. Both of them can be your 3rd best player, and you better have your first two players set in stone.

Butler and Embiid are the true core there. Two guys who compete hard on both sides of the ball and have a well rounded game that doesn't interfere with each other. Tobias Harris would have to average an efficient 30 points to match the overall (offense and defense) impact that either Butler or Embiid brings.

Harris and Simmons both have their pros and cons as 3rd best players, but from an asset retention perspective (i.e. you control where you trade Simmons, but you don't control what you can get for Harris) you have to trade Simmons for your depth. An Embiid/Harris/Butler core is good enough to compete for a title right now if the depth is strong and the supporting cast fits them (they had so many bad fits playing for them).

I think it would be really terrible if they end up with an Embiid/Simmons/Harris core.

As for Simmons' career, he really needs to start functioning more like Draymond with better handle/passing. Has to set more screens for his teammates and roll to the basket. Has to receive the ball in the high/low post more often and operate out of there. Really disappointing he has jeopardized what looked to be a superstar career out of ignorant stubbornness about shooting. Get over yourself dude.

steddinotayto, PolarBear and Koperboy like this.
  17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agreed. If they keep both Butler and Harris they better use Simmons as trade bait to rebuild their roster. #4, Ball and Kuzma would be nice.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

#198 J.R., Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Vivi likes this.
  19. Cdub37

Cdub37 Member

With the Nets being the reported favorites to land Kyrie and KD, the Knicks will have to make a big push for Tobias and Kemba. Not saying that they are the best options, but the most realistic chances for the Knicks to sign. Both are New York natives. Knicks need to give their fans some hope.